Fail of Your Day

Apparently we Minnesotans don’t learn from each other’s mistakes.

Gross. Who would willingly drink that stuff?
It’s meant for baking, not drinking.

1 Like

All it is is cheap vodka that has had vanilla beans soaking in it for a long time, so its basically just drinking shitty vanilla vodka. You can make it yourself.

1 Like

I used to put it in my Dr. Pepper…

2 Likes

We pick people up drunk on mouthwash all the time. Liquor store closed or not enough money for “real” alcohol are the usual culprits :slightly_frowning_face:

This is the message I get when trying to repair a Mac boot drive on another Mac:

If you reboot in recovery mode (cmd+r) you get… the same message.
Internet says try “Internet Recovery” (cmd+opt+r)… same message.
Further reading suggests cmd+shift+opt+r so I try that and… USB media doesn’t show up in Disk Utility.

Data isn’t actually lost so not really a big deal, but fail nonetheless.

The moment when you got an awesome panel idea for pax east, only to realize that submissions are closed. Dang deadlines when I am dealing with other cons.

Forgot my Apple watch at home today. Have to keep taking my phone out of my pocket all the time.

Then my lightning-headhpone adapter broke. Gotta go to Apple store to get a new one later.

Coincidence???

The fix is in.

Fifteen characters of fix.

26 months old and my Xperia X Compact has just died for seemingly no reason.

I swear they do it on purpose once it passes the 2 year contract period.

My younger sister has now turned into my mother because I was asked “what is a podcast, how to I make a podcast, how do I subscribe to a podcast.”

A customer got whacked with ransomware and we need to help save their bacon now.

As long as they compensate you for your efforts.

That’s what the support contract with our company is for, I guess.

The first time I had to deal with ransomware. it was an old friend’s business. It was a super primitive ransomware and the key to decrypt it was inside the client. In practice it meant that one fix file later and the filesystem was decrypted.

This was maybe 2007, double check it’s not that, ended up being so so painless.

This is possible, but unlikely. Nowadays even the most basic ransomwares tend to encrypt all the storage and will only deliver the decryption keys from a remote server after some kind of bitcoin is transferred or some shit.

Yeah they’ve gotten better at software. Most of the time the only option these days is restore from backups.

Backups solve just about everything. Have them.

1 Like

They are also really really easy to do these days, provided you can afford like $100 a year

Though if ya wanna do them right by my definition, they’re tricky. I want my backups encrypted when they get to carbonite’s servers.

When you restore from backups there can be other secondary concerns depending on how far back you have to go. I’ve seen at least one situation where someone blindly went to backups on something… which just left them exposed to the exact same attack again…