Fail of Your Day

To be honest, I hate the idea of art school and being graded on the “artistic-ness” of your art. Grade on technique or whatever, but not artistic merit. I admit I have a major axe to grind with art academia after taking my undergrad 3D art elective. We had to make an animal out of wire, and I made a puffin. I was very proud of my puffin, I made him kind of minimalist and in a nice expressive pose. I was told it was lifeless and poorly designed and got a C. All I could think, and said to the teacher after final grades were in, was I liked -MY- puffin and if you wanted a different puffin make your own goddamn puffin. No offense, art academia can kiss my ass.

2 Likes

The hardest class I took in college was a basic drawing course. One of the teachers (there were two, and he wasn’t mine) said that he liked failing students. I put in more work for that class than I did for any of my other classes. I improved over the course of the semester. I got a pity C.

I also took a 2D design class with a different teacher; it was fun and interesting! I got an A there because she wasn’t just out to fail people and the assignments weren’t just ‘draw this thing’.

… As an adult? How?

Late at night downtown (in a college town) two frat-bro types accosted me because I had a pizza, but I wasn’t giving them either the whole thing or a slice or something and I told them to fuck off (edit: and I made some comment about how he can go get one himself with his parents credit card, as he was outside of a very fancy giant SUV, and I think that hit close to home) and then the lead guy punched me knocking me off my ass, head bouncing on the concrete. His friend did react by holding him back at that point. The pizza hit the street as well, and there was a screaming girl in the SUV trying to get them to flee the scene. I apparently managed to walk a couple blocks then passed out in some grass. Some bystander found me and used my phone to call 911, but then left me to talk to them after he told them the address. I had the recording of the phone call that helped me piece together what happened later. The bystander guy also apparently didn’t believe me about the two guys, he thought I was just drunk off my ass or something and fell. Ambulance came, several scans/tests/things of my head at the hospital, four staples, and then eventually I had a friend drive me home.

Slept like twelve hours, woke up, called the cops, but they were a bit intimidating and I didn’t know much of anything that would really figure this out, especially then, and I didn’t realize my phone recorded the call. Also it was about that time I noticed the front of my head had swollen up like a baseball from the punch, something nobody in the hospital seemed to notice… Not a great day, but it made me give up on a lot of things that were making my life worse (some piece of property my grandparents gave me that my junkie uncle was fighting over and my roommate situation at the time, money and work) as I just didn’t want to deal with people at all anymore. It was about a year after that I got the new job that made life way better.

Found out that a working title I had for a short story also is and acronym for paedophile apologists. Which is A)bloody annoying as I thought it was a cool title and B) Who the fuck is defending that shit?

Ok, I’m sorry but I can’t help but think of this (somewhat NSFW) scene:

https://youtu.be/MelewF3DLo0

I’m a crackpot conspiracy theorist and I heard a conspiracy that there are loads of mental health facilities that are trying to cure paedophilia in people with learning disabilities using psychological techniques. So far instead of having any kind of success all they’ve done is give them connections with other like minded individuals and spread a technique of faking learning disabilities to avoid prison. And the psychologists searching for this holy grail of a cure ensure this status quo by reporting fake successes to justify the existence of their own role.

But that’s just my crazy conspiracy.

There’s always some broken garbage human beings out there. Also is the acronym a happenstance of letter arrangement in a word or did you have an acronym you made up that accidentally matched one of these shit ones?

1 Like

It was a dead match. The annoying thing is I didn’t plan to use the acronym but know it would be shortened to it.

Not sure if this belongs here or Silicon valley is stupid, but I just got done with telling Fitbit where to send the fifth Charge 3 (I would say 6th if one of the boxes hadn’t been empty) since November.

They have been running for around five days and then quietly bricking themselves sometime on the fifth evening. So I start a support ticket with Fitbit and they decide that the right solution is to send me another Fitbit.

Streets of Rage IRL

https://twitter.com/Ahmaadnyc/status/1077203914833969153

2018 London. We need a GoFundMe to help the homeless.

Caught influenza the day of my three day weekend, stretched all the way through to today. Spent Christmas alone and sick. Got sent home from work today as well. Also might have to kill my upstairs neighbour. Dude is far to loud for such a small guy and its driving me mad in my plague ridden state.

Doing claim QA today is making me want to run screaming from the building in frustration. Apparently none of the reviewers pay attention in meetings, follow the directions we’re given, or fucking read anything. People are still disqualifying claimants for shit we were advised not to IN MULTIPLE MEETINGS OVER MULTIPLE WEEKS.

Super local news:

This is just after our police chief was finally fired. The chief was featured in 2014 for his “pennies from heaven” comments about civil asset forfeitures.

Thing is I have two personal friends who happen to be friends with this guy, and I offended one of them by explaining how it fails ethically to believe and post this kind of shit and attempt to execute the law, blah blah blah. “But he’s a great guy. He’s a better cop than others.” etc.

The first step, imho, is admit that you can’t do or think these kind of things while acting in a law-enforcement capacity and offer a convincing apology (after consulting the union attorney, because they’re representing you for free). At least, that’s the best I can offer my friends of the guy. Sadly he’s probably just the nail that sticks out most likely and there’s far worse offenders in the department.

The way I watch YouTube is that I have my list of channels I subscribe to, check out whats there, put those into “Watch Later”, then watch it in the Watch later menu, often putting together mini-playlists in there. This has also meant that I have accumulated over 100 videos there that have been in the queue for a year or longer.

Now this isn’t so bad. However, over the holiday break I have watched a bunch of those and significantly cut down on the clog. But I also noticed that for some reason I was also losing some videos that I hadn’t actually watched. Today I noticed that for some reason when I use the trashcan icon on the watch later list on the video page, then switch to full-screen, hitting the spacebar to pause a video will also delete the next item in the watch later list. So I have lost a bunch of videos and no idea which I lost.

Oh well.

https://blade.tencent.com/magellan/index_en.html

Edit: for context this, is basically a found but hitherto publicly undisclosed remote vulnerability in the most common thing in the world sqllite. It runs in every browser (but firefox (actually anyone remember when firefox refused to implement this and was chastised for “breaking the foundations of the web”?)) and about a million other places. Scott is on record somewhere in the podcast saying it’s running on your phone right now like 10 or 15 times.

Yet another reason why security folks tell you not to use Adobe Reader as your default PDF reader:

I always found Adobe Reader slow as hell to load, anyway. I recommend more lightweight alternatives.
SumatraPDF has been my go-to choice for years, and there are plenty of browser plug-ins that can do the job well.

1 Like

I use the real full on Adobe Acrobat, not the free reader. It’s really handy to use the document cloud to have my PDFs available on all my devices. I mostly use it for books and manuals for cameras, games, etc. Those are all very handy to have available on all devices at all times.

Thing is, none of these security flaws are an issue if you aren’t downloading weird shady ass pdfs.