Fail of Your Day

Nothing. We work with people that do bulk scanning and OCR, but in this case they’ll probably be forced to hand over some kind of mailbox file. The stupidest part is the waste of time and resources involved. Easily a few $k wasted on what could’ve been a $100 encrypted HD shipped for under $50.

Are they trying to mess you up?

In my current job I see all kinds of document shenanigans. We’re managing a product liability settlement for a drug so people have to send medical records to show their injury, and ho boy does it run the gamut. When you’re lucky its computer originals output to a searchable PDF. Often its a mix of digital originals and scanned paper with varying degrees of OCR, and sometimes it is the hell file with crap scans of doctor scrawl, often compounded by the fact that the only doctors that keep handwritten notes are old and have a shaky hand on top of their indecipherable glyphs.

Some kid in a Discord spoiled the finale of Voltron Legendary Defender cause he read secondhand outrage about it and then had a meltdown over a show he never watched, despite knowing people in that Discord love the show anyway.

Also my editors are sitting on an article I have entitled URGENT that would get them lots of traffic but no push. Bleh.

This is just hilarious.

The Mechanical Turk strikes again!

I do not know why, but someone on the MAGFest reddit is trying to get board game loot boxes to be a thing. I have a feeling that they are someone who is part of board game mystery box company as an employee that is salty they they were not a vendor.

Not my fail, but fails (plus 20, only 2 showed up to fail) I gave.

Two students came to witness their failure today. My university has a <70% attendance = failure policy. I didn’t recognize these students. I asked them if they thought they came to 70% of classes; they said, “No.” I asked if they had any reason I shouldn’t fail them; they said, “No.” So I told them maybe their professor next year will give fewer shits and wished them on their way.

I hated attendance policies. I was always an exams and otherwise fuck off kinda person, and I’d usually ace the exams.

I get where you’re coming from. But if I haven’t seen you since the beginning of the semester AND you can’t follow simple directions regarding the exam, you have no business passing. Everyone who showed up and made a token effort passed.

Attendance rules are simple, but they failed that. They got second-hand exam instructions from someone (and failed to get the important bits) and failed to follow the rules. They failed because they never came to class and couldn’t even cheat properly.

EDIT: It wasn’t even a complicated question. “Why should I give you more than 0 points?” They couldn’t understand and thus had no response.

And while attendance policies might suck, they make it easy for me to fail the 2/3 of students who never show up.

Okay I was going to say unless they failed otherwise that was a dick move on your part cos attendance policies are bullshit but if it was pass/fail on criteria that simple then they deserved it.

They both admitted they didn’t deserve to pass. I always fail half of this class because they never show. These two guys were the first two to show up to be failed in person.

While I don’t particularly like attendance policies in college, if a class has them, and the students are aware of them, then I have absolutely no sympathy for students who suffer the consequences of them, without a good reason.

Part of college is preparing you for adulthood and the real world. In the real world, there are consequences to your actions. If a class has a 70% attendance policy, and you don’t meet that, that’s your own fault.

Even though it’s the most arbitrary rule ever? The consequences are that if you don’t learn well on your own you show up and learn and get good grades or don’t show up and get bad grades. The outcome is the same but in the mean time there’s undue burden on the people who don’t need a teacher to hold their hand through the lessons. They are inconvenienced and their time wasted.

Yes, even if the rule is totally arbitrary. If you know about the attendance policy in advance, there is no excuse.

When a student takes a class with a professor, a compact is formed. The professor promises to do his or her best to teach the material, answer questions, etc. The student promises to do whatever assignments, papers, tests, etc that the professor assigns. If the student fails to live up to his or her end of the agreement, there are consequences and these consequences are spelled out ahead of time in the school’s or the professor’s guidelines and syllabus.

In some classes, with some professors, part of the student’s responsibility, besides turning in assignments, taking tests, etc is to show up. If there is an official attendance policy for the class, it doesn’t matter if Student A can get a good grade even if he or she doesn’t go to class. By taking the class, the student and the professor have formed a kind of contract. Part of the student’s obligation in upholding that contract is to attend class. By not attending class, or not attending frequently enough, the student has violated that contract. Like with real contracts, if you break it, there are consequences and even penalties.

Additionally, letting a student who didn’t attend the required number of classes pass, despite this going against the rules, is unfair to all the students who did go to class the required amount of times. Maybe those other students didn’t want to be there either. But they showed up. They fulfilled their part of the professor-student contract. As a result, if you break the attendance policy, you should suffer the consequences that are spelled out. The learning ability of the student plays no part in this.

In the real world, there are speed limits. If the speed limit is 35 mph, and you go over that limit, you get a ticket. It doesn’t matter what the driver’s skill level is. Whether you’re a 16 year old who just got his or her license yesterday or an F1 driver who has 25 years of experience, it doesn’t matter. The ability of the driver doesn’t factor into it. There is a rule. If you violate that rule, you suffer the consequences. A speed limit of 35 mph in a given area can be just as arbitrary as an attendance policy. Why not 40 mph or 45 mph?

Just because Person A is a good enough driver to successfully navigate a road at 50 mph, doesn’t mean that he or she can, when the stated speed limit is 35 mph. Regardless of skill or ability level, the rules apply to everyone equally.

Edited to add:

I am very good at my job. If I am able to do a full day’s work in 5 hours, instead of 8 hours, I don’t get to go home early, I have to stay at work and start something else.

We as a society don’t change the rules depending on an individual’s skill level. The rules apply to everyone equally. Really smart and political 17 year olds don’t get to vote. Really skilled 13 year olds don’t get to drive. It doesn’t matter if a 20 year old can drink responsibly, the law says you have to be 21 to legally drink alcohol. If that 20 year old shows his or her ID to a bouncer at a bar, they’re not getting in, regardless of anything else.

Plenty of exceptions to rules exist.

If someone has a reason to not go to class and and they sit down with the teacher and discuss an exception or exemption, or just even an informal understanding on a wink and nod that a deviation will occur, and while nothing is official both parties understand what the deal is, then cool.

I made a lot of progress with teachers saying “hey I’m gonna doodle in class. But that’s just how I do” and they seemed to generally be cool with it. Other times I just did it and said nothing and they would generally complain, or sometimes just do nothing.

If you just don’t ever come to any classes, then who the fuck knows what’s up? If you fail that’s on you. If you go to the prof and say “hey I’ve already studied this mostly so can I skip the lectures?” Then they turn the tables and fail you at the end anyway, that’s reason to be upset at an insutrctor, even if they are following the written rules, for being a slimy-ass prick.

In seventh grade one time the teacher called out one of the other students in class asking why he wasn’t taking any notes.

The kid said “Scott doesn’t take notes.”

The teacher said “Scott’s getting an A.”

Oh snap.

We aren’t talking about any of those situations though. Based on the situation that @ruffas described, these students just didn’t show up, without talking to the professor beforehand. Even when asked why an exception should be made to the attendance policy, they couldn’t come up with one.

In that situation, even if the attendance policy may seem stupid and arbitrary, if you break it, you suffer the consequences, and I have absolutely no problem with that.

Right, I agree with that. If you just don’t show up then it’s on you. If you break a rule even a dumb one expect to be called on it. Basic stuff.

If a student doesn’t want to come, because it’s stupid, make up any reason and clear it and then enjoy not following the dumb rule.

I’m just pointing out that even when there are rules, exceptions do always exist. Someone will figure out a way around and so, while I’m not in any way a lawyer, i think rules should always be considered with the fact they are ultimately artificial and subject to… Human factors.

Alcohol and traffic laws aren’t arbitrary, they’re in the interest of public health and safety. An attendance policy is about the most arbitrary rule I can think of. No one but the student gets hurt if they don’t show up and even then it’s not physically. No one ever died from getting an F.