Fail of Your Day

If you guessed “I bet this is some stupid IPv6 thing,” YOU’RE CORRECT! For some reason, some of the linux machines aren’t failing over to IPv4 when they can’t resolve things via IPv6.

Another reason to use dig instead of nslookup. IIRC dig supports IPV6 and nslookup only supports IPV4.

Cause, “connection timed out; no servers could be reached” really blew this wide open. :roll_eyes:

Just sayin’. dig is the hotness. nslookup is officially deprecated.

Yeah, I guess I was a little harsh, I’d never heard of dig before now. Just don’t pat yourself on the back too hard, using dig didn’t reveal anything I didn’t already know.

IIRC, nslookup skips your own host file too.

That’s burned a lot of younger ops people I’ve worked with.

Endless editing of a short story I want to submit. Ever time I read it after one version I find new mistakes and flaws. Also doesn’t help that I ended up cutting nearly half of it out.

Also thin Japanese apartment walls have led to several awkward conversations between myself and upstairs neighbour.

Every.

BUGGER! In my defence I was eating dinner. That said I will not correct it. It will stand, with other such mistakes, as a monument of my stupidity.

In fact fun story. My spelling is so bad my auto correct now thinks that the crap I’m trying to write it the the correct spelling. God almighty has that caused problems.

I couldn’t resist! A flaw when talking about editing to catch flaws!

1 Like

Fair play it was so wide open you couldn’t miss. So juicy. I just found out that it wasn’t my naff spelling or reading but the Y key on my laptop is dying.

Was supposed to fly to Philadelphia for training. Flight gets cancelled so I ended up scrambling for a new solution. All the flights would get me there after training started, so I am taking the train, because at least I’ll get there tonight.

1 Like

Something similar happened to me a couple years ago. I was flying to Chicago for a one day conference thing. My flight there that morning was delayed… and delayed… and delayed… until it would get me to Chicago basically after the conference ended.

I just canceled the flight (and got a full refund) and gave up on the conference =(

Delayed or cancelled flights on the way there suck. Delayed or cancelled flights on the way home are potentially awesome assuming you don’t have anything to do at home.

That fact right there is why I’m riding the rails. I know how much Amtrak will delay or run slow. And it gives me some time to mess around in Penn station if I can’t get an earlier train in NYC.

…Ew

Better than Mole Station.

So Oxford Union platforms Nazis now.

Be sure to dislike and unsubscribe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AtOw-xyMo8

Had my flight physical on Saturday (it’s necessary to get a pilot’s license). Two fails here.

Fail #1: Despite still having excellent distance vision, my eyes have aged (42 years) to the point where I need reading glasses (over-the-counter should suffice) for up-close vision.

Fail #2: Due to other issues, I couldn’t pass the physical on the spot but need the FAA to review my paperwork and get back to me if I’m fit to fly or not. This is a “low workload” time of the year for them, so I should hear back in 3-4 weeks.