Fail of Your Day

Every military unit does at least some live fire practice with actual combat ammunition, so they might have loaded the actual HE rounds for ground attack practice or similar. Also, even if they were using the practice rounds at close range it’s still a blast of 20mm hunks of steel firing point blank into another aircraft full of fuel and its own weapon stores.

1 Like

After all the years of humans making clothes, you’d think we’d be able to make pants that don’t crush my balls when I sit with good posture.

1 Like

I can’t vouch for these, but they do have a good name.
https://www.duluthtrading.com/men/collections/ballroom-jeans/

4 Likes

Apparently I fat-fingered enough ssh logins to my Linux box at work that I got my Windows work box’s IP listed in the denyhosts blacklist.

hehe I’ve only ever gotten myself a 15 minute time out in fail2ban for this offense, doing more than that would be… well. I’m not sure we have a harsher penalty than 15 minute time out other than a manual IP ban done by me for being penalty boxed too many times.

Are you using password authentication?

I am… I had it set up to use keys, but somehow my keys got messed up and I haven’t bothered fixing them.

Edit: I also sometimes fat-finger the username as I sometimes type the user ID for a lab machine as opposed to my build machine.

I can absolutely 100% vouch for Duluth jeans. A++ ample ball room, and also indestructible crotches. Their jeans all have crotch gussets, so they’re super durable.

I will never by lesser jeans again. They simply cannot contain my majesty.

5 Likes

Those are words.

5 Likes

Set the default username for that machine in .ssh/config.

I’ll buy a pair and see if they can contain my majesty without crushing them.

Seriously though, I think this is the number one reason that I slouch all the time in chairs. Stupid pants.

3 Likes

They’re pretty pricey compared to what I pay for jeans (usually I pay about $25 a pair), but I may check them out if they’re really as good as you say they are.

I showed this to Chris and her response was, “me thinks the gentleman doth proclaims too much.”

1 Like

I just knocked over a stack of sorted screw bins with a bunch falling into the computer I was looking at.
Empty bins and all the screws that fell out when I shook the computer:

2 Likes

Younger Rym would panic, remove the motherboard, and do a methodical examination for any potentially dangerous scratches before powering it back on.

Current Rym would ignore this as long as it still booted.

6 Likes

Why does everything need to be social media these days? Just let me give you money and listen to music, Spotify. I don’t everything I follow or listen to pushed to a fucking profile page.

I can’t even change my username to something random to anonymize it. The FAQ recommends making a new account if you want to change your username.

1 Like

In the never ending saga of “the fucking mac”, the SSD died when I tried to upgrade VMware ESXi on it last week.

My modem just died on me this morning and the replacement won’t come in till Friday.

Why doesn’t AT&T just carry the damn equipment in their stores? There’s one less than a mile away from me, but no. I have to wait for some arbitrary appointment.

Just buy one at BestBuy or even WalMart. If you’re renting it from the ISP you’ve probably paid several times what a decent modem costs over the time you’ve been paying for the service. On top of that, often the modem they rent you is old and might not actually go the speed of the internet you’re paying for. That’s what happened to my wife and me. There ought to be instructions on the ISP site telling how to set up your own modem.

2 Likes

Question: I have AT&T U-verse, so I need an ADSL modem. I did a bit of surfing on Amazon and found that my options are limited (not all work with U-verse). I then found this list of modems that both are and aren’t approved by AT&T. If I go with a non-approved modem, would it still work?