Fail of Your Day

We taped a bottle cap over the button on my partner’s case to prevent this from happening. In our case cats would stand on the computer for attention and turn it off while it was in use.

I got a capture card for my computer only the fund out that the PC doesn’t have the slot that it needs -_-

Yesterday I got rear-ended directly in front of my apartment building. Thankfully nobody got hurt but it still sucks in general.

I have elected to burn down and rewrite the code I was given for my CS thesis. It contained things like this:

This was written by two seniors in Software Engineering. WTF

Most people who are capable of programming are not capable of programming well.

I can only hope that those two seniors have since gotten better at coding since then.

As shitty a programmer as I was in college (though I don’t think I was quite that shitty), I’m much better now, 18 years later, than I was then. I can only hope those seniors have also improved in the meantime.

I’ve interviewed fresh CS undergrads. I’m no longer surprised to discover candidates that can’t program, even for a language they put on their resume.

I have interviewed engineers who clearly faked their credentials and couldn’t answer even simple questions about the bare basics of programming. Pretty sure at least one of them lied about going to university entirely.

Granted, now that I’m at a more rigorous firm, that never happens. The people who get through the phone screen are all B+ at worst.

For my previous job, I’d always get the tech/programming interviewer role. I never did phone screens, but apparently they were bad at it or the barrier to entry was low—or perhaps researchers assessing programmers over the phone.

Fake it till you make it!

I think the more general statement still holds.

Applies to walking, biking, reading…

I was reading some terrifying literature on disaster planning. It seems that the far majority of Americans aren’t expected to be capable of traveling 20 miles on foot in a day.

Attempting to do so turns them into casualties. They become incapacitated due to foot pain, blisters, and cardiovascular distress.

It basically said to leave anyone behind who can’t walk at least 20 miles a day for at least 3 consecutive days. And it said that most Americans can’t be expected to do it. (Slightly lower threshold for adults carrying children, and babies aren’t expected to walk obviously).

If you have a gym maybe the advertising campaign should be “Can you walk 20 miles in a day? If not, and disaster strikes, you will be left behind to die.”

Right?

Most people are able to walk, but are unable to do it well. The foot pain and blisters were the saddest part. It wasn’t even so much a matter of being fit, as it was of having a poor walking gait.

Most people walk so relatively little that they move sloppily, have ill-fitting shoes, plant their feet flat, etc… It never causes a problem for them, since they rarely walk more than a mile at a time tops.

You can indeed be very skilled at walking.

They wrote this ~3 months ago. maybe they will learn…

I recently interviewed a gentleman who had, under the heading “Mastery” Java, C, and C++

I asked him what sort of programs he’s made, in any language, I was told, to his credit, just some simple numerical calculation programs. Apparently that’s what Mastery means today. I couldn’t even get him to do fizzbuzz afterwards.

He’s a friend of a guy who works here so we’ll probably hire him, and I guess train him?

Sounds to me like coding qualifications need to be set to a higher standard than just “basic 90s MS-DOS shit.”
Did you program a level of a game using free/cheap software? There, now you have a new bare minimum requirement to make yourself employable.
Or is that still too low? I’m not sure.

In that he refused or failed?

As someone who has done hundreds of interviews for a top-tier tech firm, the best answer I can give for a minimum requirement is that a candidate must be able to show the ability to solve problems, with the help of the interviewer if needed. Obviously not needing help is a plus, but if you are fresh out of college, we shouldn’t expect them to get everything on their own, they will be expected to need a mentor of some kind during their first couple years to become able to work solo. As you go up in job level, needing help should get lower as they pull on experience to relate the current problem to one they’ve done before. If they struggle at the higher levels, that tends to indicate that they either don’t learn well or haven’t actually been responsible for much in their career, which should also be a deal breaker.

As for the use of “Mastery” in resumes, that usually just means the language they are the most proficient at, it doesn’t point to problem solving ability. “I’ve used Java for 5 years, so I must be a master at it by now.”

He failed, I’m sure with a computer in front of him and enough time he could have done it, I didn’t press for a solution after he seemed really stuck as how to start writing a pseudo code solution. I just wanted to see how he’d approach the problem and honestly he seemed to just freeze up.