Fail of Your Day

Fake it till you make it!

I think the more general statement still holds.

1 Like

Applies to walking, biking, reading…

I was reading some terrifying literature on disaster planning. It seems that the far majority of Americans aren’t expected to be capable of traveling 20 miles on foot in a day.

Attempting to do so turns them into casualties. They become incapacitated due to foot pain, blisters, and cardiovascular distress.

It basically said to leave anyone behind who can’t walk at least 20 miles a day for at least 3 consecutive days. And it said that most Americans can’t be expected to do it. (Slightly lower threshold for adults carrying children, and babies aren’t expected to walk obviously).

If you have a gym maybe the advertising campaign should be “Can you walk 20 miles in a day? If not, and disaster strikes, you will be left behind to die.”

3 Likes

Right?

Most people are able to walk, but are unable to do it well. The foot pain and blisters were the saddest part. It wasn’t even so much a matter of being fit, as it was of having a poor walking gait.

Most people walk so relatively little that they move sloppily, have ill-fitting shoes, plant their feet flat, etc… It never causes a problem for them, since they rarely walk more than a mile at a time tops.

You can indeed be very skilled at walking.

They wrote this ~3 months ago. maybe they will learn…

I recently interviewed a gentleman who had, under the heading “Mastery” Java, C, and C++

I asked him what sort of programs he’s made, in any language, I was told, to his credit, just some simple numerical calculation programs. Apparently that’s what Mastery means today. I couldn’t even get him to do fizzbuzz afterwards.

He’s a friend of a guy who works here so we’ll probably hire him, and I guess train him?

1 Like

Sounds to me like coding qualifications need to be set to a higher standard than just “basic 90s MS-DOS shit.”
Did you program a level of a game using free/cheap software? There, now you have a new bare minimum requirement to make yourself employable.
Or is that still too low? I’m not sure.

1 Like

In that he refused or failed?

As someone who has done hundreds of interviews for a top-tier tech firm, the best answer I can give for a minimum requirement is that a candidate must be able to show the ability to solve problems, with the help of the interviewer if needed. Obviously not needing help is a plus, but if you are fresh out of college, we shouldn’t expect them to get everything on their own, they will be expected to need a mentor of some kind during their first couple years to become able to work solo. As you go up in job level, needing help should get lower as they pull on experience to relate the current problem to one they’ve done before. If they struggle at the higher levels, that tends to indicate that they either don’t learn well or haven’t actually been responsible for much in their career, which should also be a deal breaker.

As for the use of “Mastery” in resumes, that usually just means the language they are the most proficient at, it doesn’t point to problem solving ability. “I’ve used Java for 5 years, so I must be a master at it by now.”

He failed, I’m sure with a computer in front of him and enough time he could have done it, I didn’t press for a solution after he seemed really stuck as how to start writing a pseudo code solution. I just wanted to see how he’d approach the problem and honestly he seemed to just freeze up.

We don’t interview a ton of people for software, we’re a manufacturing firm, but he was recommended and just finished a master’s so the boss thought it’d be worth taking a look. I went with something so simple because his bachelor’s was in graphic design, the master’s is in human computer interaction, coding is obviously not his strong suit, and I wasn’t given a ton of time with him before the boss grabbed him to show him the factory floor.

I’ll have to think a bit more how I approach such interviews in the future. The phrasing just really threw me off, to me, if someone has a list of things under a heading like that I kind of expect that they’ve mastered it, or at least done more than taken a class or two in it.

Some jackass (or perhaps number of jackasses) has been trying to hack my bank account to the point where it seems like I get locked out of it due to “too many failed attempts” every couple of weeks.

Two of my most frequented online groups independently imploded today and now the internet seems like a much smaller place to me. :confused:

1 Like

I chose the week my girlfriend leaves for Canada for five months to quit smoking. Has not been a fun day for YT.

1 Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmW-ScmGRMA

2 Likes

Blown tire is causing me to cancel plans this evening.

If you think you’re having a bad day, just be thankful you’re not this guy.

2 Likes

And I just learned more than I ever need the know about that cannon.

http://www.f-16.net/f-16_armament_article5.html

If they were getting ready for training, why was there real ammo instead of practice ammo in there?

This is a pure guess, but I’d think that if you want to practice shooting targets or whatnot you need ammo that acts just like real live ammo for the practice to be anyway useful. And at that point it’s gonna be destructive, even if you were to use some other softer, weaker, material. So might as well save time and money and just use normal real ammo.

1 Like