Fail of Your Day

Minor fail, but I think Meetup.com needs to tweak their suggestions algorithm a bit. I got this in my inbox:

Capture

That said, I hope actual Worcester area lesbians on Meetup.com got that suggestion.

1 Like

I don’t know a ton about DSL, I’ve always had cable modems which are pretty much universal. I’d snag one you know for sure will work.

Are you sure it’s ADSL and not VDSL?

I’d personally go with something on their approved list just because that usually means you can call into tech support and they’ll walk you through exactly what to do with that one, whereas if it’s not approved that’s not guaranteed. Technically though it could probably be configured, and there’s some 3rd party forums and stuff where someone will probably know how to do it supposing it’s possible.

I’ve been listening to the Dune audiobook on Youtube. It’s about 20 hours long. With 10 minutes left to go my computer required a restart. I restart and return to discover the link has been removed.

1 Like

I know everyone complains about robocalls but I get way more spam texts from email addresses (never the same email address twice) and don’t know what to do about it.

It’s ADSL. I went to Best Buy and that’s what they told me.

Anyway, I went on the Amazon page for one of the non-approved models (the Motorola one) and posed the question. Motorola actually responded with, “No, it doesn’t work with U-verse.”

So I guess that settles it. AT&T-approved only. Got it.

Anyway, it’s Friday now and the technician plugged in our new modem, so we’re good.

Who do you use as your email provider? Maybe they need better spam filters? Email is even easier to forge than caller ID.

I’m not getting them through email, I’m getting them as SMS.

Oh, my misunderstanding… Sometimes your carrier has a number you can forward spam texts too. It seems to at least work with AT&T as I don’t get as many as I used to.

By the way, and this applies to everyone reading this, next time someone asks for your phone number, try giving them this one instead: 778-330-2389

Don’t worry if you want to call it yourself, it’s mostly harmless.

Gamergaters are rabid for diablo controversy.

Personally I don’t care that there will exist a Diablo mobile gated cookie clicker game, whatever. That said, the presenter for it seems a bit head-up-his-ass. “Do you not own phones?” The memes are at least mildly entertaining.

There have been many instances of “hardcore” fans being mad when their favorite IP gets put onto a less hardcore thing. This one is particularly hilarious. They are mad that Blizzard is putting out Diablo as a baby mobile game, but actual Diablo III is already a baby do-nothing game!

1 Like

Also Diablo just sucks? I never understood the appeal, it’s always been click the monsters hope for good loot, basically gacha before gacha was a thing. Fuck Diablo and no it’s not cos I’m salty on more than one occasion in late high school DnD was cancelled AFTER EVERYONE ARRIVED AT THE DM’S HOUSE BECAUSE THE DM AND ANOTHER PLAYER WOULDN’T STOP FUCKING CLICKING ON COWS OR WHATEVER THE FUCK.

Every once in awhile I just do a candy box or a Diablo, open some gatchas, and then I drop it like a hot potato.

I get it, I have a thing for gambling type stuff, love some poker or mahjong and even an innocuous gacha thing like Cat Collector. But my latent rage from fourteen years ago at Diablo burns bright in my heart to this day. It’s also why I’m a complete prick about distractions at my role-play table. No phones, no laptops, no tablets, no books that aren’t in immediate use. If you’re bored you can leave the game and your character can wander off from the party or get eaten by a monster or something.

I mean, I enjoyed grinding out some levels in Final Fantasy IV not that long ago. Everyone eats some garbage now and then and loves every second of it. :wink:

2 Likes

Well played sir, well played :stuck_out_tongue:

When the hype was that they were going to announce Diablo 4 someone was talking about building it up in a style more like Dark Souls as opposed to an ARPG. Probably would get a lot of push back from people, but I think that fits one of the angles you could look at the first Diablo from. I was playing that game as a kid, and I was creeped out by each new dungeon level for a bit. I’m personally not opposed to them making other games within the setting.

The “reaction” to the announcement is another example of the ridiculous entitlement culture of a certain segment of people who play games.

Said people are basically gomergate-lite.

See also, the people flipping out that Teen Titans GO is more popular than regular Teen Titans ever was or could have been, that Steven Universe didn’t make their weird fanfic about Ruby being nearsighted canon, etc…

They are also often gomergate classic, as in the exact same people.

I’m not trying to completely defend the overreaction to the news, but if you were a Blizzard and/or Diablo fanatic, and paid $200 for tickets, plus airfare, plus hotel costs, plus the time waiting on line and what not, and the big announcement was… a mobile game that looks like a free-to-play shovelware? I’d probably be a little salty as well.