Fail of Your Day

ha ha no

MS Office is going to become an organization only piece of software I think. Libre Office is too good these days for home use, not to mention Google docs. Hell for most people WordPad is more than enough.

2 Likes

For home use, I use in order of the complexity/polish of my document:

1. Notepad++
  2. Google Docs
  3. Adobe Indesign

Nothing else is needed.

1 Like

I actually use WordPad. For what I write, which is 90% my own fiction pieces, I have no need for anything more. I used Docs to do my resume and that’s the most complex thing I’ve done since college.

Knock the first one off Rym’s list and you’ve got mine as well. I’ve ended up preferring to write fiction to the cloud just to make sure I don’t lose any work.

I remember in college, I would actually write papers in InDesign.

And I think even on the org level, sticking with MS Office is more of an inertia and comfort thing than anything else for some companies. I’m pretty sure every spreadsheet my office could be entirely GDocs if we needed to be and people didn’t cling to their pre-cloud Outlooks.

Just write it in LaTeX. If you do so, it will automatically be assumed to be correct. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I only have office because my CAD program relies on Excel for certain functions and so for example, without Excel installed if I bring up the hole tool, it tries to bring up tables of industry standard drills and taps and crashes. Same if I do almost anything in the structural tubing or simulation ennvironments, they just completely lock up and crash my program if I’m without Excel.

I’ve tried the alternative programs to see if they work but no dice.

1 Like

I’m sick at home and of course it’s today that my upstairs neighbor decides to remodel his goddamn bathroom.

That seems like a badly written program to me. e_e

1 Like

I got a 24 hour ban on PUBG because of a glitch that made the camera get stuck in the ground.

My cat now wants to sleep on my computer, in doing so he will turn it on/off since the power button is on the top of the case, I am now trying to find a “box” to protect this -_-

We taped a bottle cap over the button on my partner’s case to prevent this from happening. In our case cats would stand on the computer for attention and turn it off while it was in use.

1 Like

I got a capture card for my computer only the fund out that the PC doesn’t have the slot that it needs -_-

Yesterday I got rear-ended directly in front of my apartment building. Thankfully nobody got hurt but it still sucks in general.

I have elected to burn down and rewrite the code I was given for my CS thesis. It contained things like this:

This was written by two seniors in Software Engineering. WTF

1 Like

Most people who are capable of programming are not capable of programming well.

6 Likes

I can only hope that those two seniors have since gotten better at coding since then.

As shitty a programmer as I was in college (though I don’t think I was quite that shitty), I’m much better now, 18 years later, than I was then. I can only hope those seniors have also improved in the meantime.

I’ve interviewed fresh CS undergrads. I’m no longer surprised to discover candidates that can’t program, even for a language they put on their resume.

I have interviewed engineers who clearly faked their credentials and couldn’t answer even simple questions about the bare basics of programming. Pretty sure at least one of them lied about going to university entirely.

Granted, now that I’m at a more rigorous firm, that never happens. The people who get through the phone screen are all B+ at worst.

For my previous job, I’d always get the tech/programming interviewer role. I never did phone screens, but apparently they were bad at it or the barrier to entry was low—or perhaps researchers assessing programmers over the phone.