Fail of your Boo-Yah (and vica-versa)

Booyah: I set out to do my longest run ever at 3.75 miles, but instead I kept going for 4.5. Physically I just felt like I could run forever. Second wind is amazing.

Fail: Had a mini anxiety attack part way through and started worrying that I would collapse or pass out randomly.

Booyah: I don’t know whether exercise will directly help with the anxiety but regardless the experience of powering through it is probably exactly what I need.

Sounds good! First, if you’re starting running now, get yourself onto tracking your runs in kilometres, not miles.

Personally, if I feel like I’ve started a 5km run too quickly, I dread that I won’t make it to the end. If I give up or slow down massively before 3.5km, I just head home. But if I reach 3.5km, I know I can push through to the end. I feel like having a goal of a set distance in certain time is what works best, not running until I’m too tired or, god forbid, injured. The best thing is, as I get better, the exercise takes less time, not more, compared to those aiming for longer distances.

Training and general fitness are well known (proven) to help with anxiety, but I have seen it become so much of a coping mechanism that it becomes an obsession. And, as I’ve seen this in my own family members with mental health issues, I feel I have to consciously guard myself against it. As soon as I start to think “Maybe I should start training for a marathon…” STOP! I do not need that in my brain.

Boo-yah: Right before I moved in the apartment above mine suffered a broken pipe which also of course affected me. After a months of hemming and hawing with the damage recovery company and various insurance companies waiting to give clearance, finally the ceiling in my bedroom is getting painted.

Fail 1: We discovered that some mold had regrown in the corner which I hadn’t noticed as they were hiding in the stripes left from beams for the wood-panel drop ceiling which was installed before I moved in and before water damage was noticed. It has since been removed.

Fail 2: The chloride used for removal of mold also means that my apartment now smells like a swimming pool.

Fail 3: The painters had to fill in a number of holes left from the screws by the a fore mentioned drop-ceiling as well as holes drilled for the tubes of the ventilation turbine which previously was used to dry the ceiling. Since this plaster also has to dry first it means the the actual painting of my bedroom won’t commence until tomorrow.

Fail 4: As my bedroom is currently not inhabitable and my mattress is stuffed into my closet, I get to sleep in the couch tonight.

Fail; picked up some stupid throat thing that has me coughing up blood like a Victorian orphan.

Fail 2; Was taking some kindergarteners to lunch. One of them stops to look at a picture. He’s a pretty quiet kid and very friendly. So I come up and gently tell him its time to go to lunch. We chat a little bit then he holds out his hand for me. So he grasps like two of my shrek fingers and off we go. Make it about five steps for me, two miles of him, and he stops. Ok cool he does this sometimes no worries. I’m about to get him going again when he just winds up and sucker punches me right in the knackers. I go down like a sack of potatoes. All he says to me, in the voice of an angle totally oblivious “Are you having a good day?”.

Booh-yah; made some more solid plans with Gimli for the coming 2-3 years.

Booh-yah 2; sent of my short story to my beta readers and have so far got good replies so far. Hopefully I can start submitting it soon.

Okay but when I was in Japan I learned to watch little kids’ hands at all times because for some reason the kancho and the nutshot are like the peak of entertainment for kindergarten to third-ish grade boys.

1 Like

Oh trust me every other kid I’m fine with. This boy is a bit more placid and has never done this before. I made the mistake of trusting.

An acute angle or an obtuse one?

1 Like

The company I used to work for has gone into a deathspiral. When I worked there its share price was 100x what it is now.

I bet it’s an awful place to work now. I wonder where all my old colleagues ended up?

Boo yah: new hotel in national harbor that will allow more people to be close to MAGFest.

Fail: A parking garage will no longer exist because of this.

https://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore/news/2019/04/03/national-harbor-getting-another-hotel.html

Booyah: My knees are in good enough shape for me to start running again. Actually, they have been for a while but now I’m actually doing it.

Fail: Thanks to the time off I lost my mental tolerance, and running gives me panic attacks again.

Got a text that my new bike is ready to be picked up!

Weather is shit. Can’t go pick it up until tomorrow.

1 Like

Boo-Yah: Got hired full time permanent at my firm with a modest raise and benefits.

Fail: The insurance costs slightly more than 1/4 of my monthly salary and I literally cannot afford it. It would actually be cheaper to pay out of pocket if I have to see a GP.

Eat the goddamn rich. Fucking bring back the guillotine this is madness.

2 Likes

A couple days ago I went to use my toaster oven to reheat some naan. When I took the bread out of the oven, it was cold. I tried again, still nothing. I opted for the microwave. Blech. I tried again the next day to toast some english muffins. I had to eat them untoasted. Blech.

The toaster is dead. The timer works. It dings. It just stopped heating up. It was el cheapo model, but it worked wonderfully for many many years.

So I go to buy a new toaster thinking I’ll get a really good one. The good ones I found were really expensive, but also much too big. Like, if you have them, you don’t need a regular oven at all. I only need the tiniest one in my tiny apartment since I use it for toasting bread and reheating things that aren’t microwave appropriate.

I ended up getting this model:

https://amzn.to/2YM3nNI

It’s taller than my old one, but actually takes up less counter space. So effectively, it is smaller. Also, it got very hot, and toasted my bread way faster. It’s way tall, because the crumb catching tray is further away from the actual cooking area. This means less burninated crumbs building up down there. The absolute best feature though, it has a light. It’s really bright. You can see exactly how toasted things are. I can’t give it an A+ so far. It might just break or catch fire or something, but so far so good.

I just use a slim toaster oven for bread, and the real oven for anything else.

Pop up toasters are garbage.

2 Likes

Why? Most of the time, when I’m toasting something, it’s a slice of bread. They do a fine job with that, using minimal space and power.

do not start to argue with scott do not start to argue with scott

7 Likes

I’m with Scott on this one, though only for toaster oven with convection as that helps toast and cook things evenly throughout.

1 Like

There are many minor criticisms, but the main one that trumps all is simply that not all food you want to put in the toaster fits the mold of a pop-up. English muffin, bagel, sliced bread, ok sure. How about a long Italian bread? How about a slice from a big round loaf?

Also, there are many uses for toaster oven that toaster can not do. Reheat some food that is not appropriate to reheat in the microwave? Got one serving of frozen tater tots? That’s too small a job for the full size oven. Got some food, and you just want to melt some cheese onto the top?

Yes, you can technically do many of these things in the full size oven. You can technically cut down a sapling with a chainsaw also.

Is this a thing like kettles where Europe has twice the volts as America and so kitchen stuff just works better? And so American slot toasters are bad?