Fail of your Boo-Yah (and vica-versa)

My toaster heads things evenly and nicely without problems. If they’re too big for the toaster, I use the oven without any problems. I don’t need another kitchen gadget like Scott does. I have the two right tools for the two jobs.

I don’t feel qualified to answer this one sadly, though am now going to look that problem up.

Why we don’t use stove kettles or water boilers:

“To raise the temperature of one litre of water from 15°C to boiling at 100°C requires a little bit over 355 kilojoules of energy. An “average” kettle in the UK runs at about 2800 W and in the US at about 1500 W; if we assume that both kettles are 100% efficient† than a UK kettle supplying 2800 joules per second will take 127 seconds to boil and a US kettle supplying 1500 J/s will take 237 seconds, more than a minute and a half longer. This is such a problem that many households in the US still use an old-fashioned stove-top kettle.”

1 Like

this feels like some ancient Soviety propaganda implying Americans are so obsessed with work they can’t wait an extra 100 seconds for boiled water

Neat. I’ve never even considering that as something to get accustomed to if we leave the US. Thanks!

I’ve never heard of this, and it is interesting, but I have never seen this as a significant problem. In the US I see a wide variety of mechanisms for boiling water for different tasks. Yeah, some people use the stove top kettle. Some use stand-alone, or stand-alone that is part of a coffee maker. I also see the water boilers that just have hot water available at all times. If I drank tea, I’d probably have one of those. I also see a lot of people simply putting a mug of water into the microwave.

I bought a Zojirushi water heater so I have the hot water at all times. When it gets low, I refill it, so when I need hot water again, I have it. I never need to wait for hot water.

AMERICANS! YOU CAN BE FREE OF THE TYRANNY OF WAITING FOR WATER TO BOIL!

Yes, all of the smart FRC tea-drinking friends have them as well. I would have one because I don’t drink any hot-water based beverages. I pretty much only boil water for noodles.

I also use it to make miso soup any time I’m feeling just rice and miso for dinner.

You guys have a little machine keeping water hot 24/7 just in case you need it?

I’d never have thought of that.

I wonder what the cost per month of that is compared to, say, leaving a PC running 24/7

https://amzn.to/2EvCaay

Obviously it’s not free. It’s gonna use energy. But it’s well insulated and as efficient as it can realistically be. I mean, you’ve got a furnace keeping hot water in your house ready from the tap at all times. This is just hotter and in a smaller quantity. You can also set it to not use energy when nobody is home with timers, turn it off when you go on vacation, etc.

Got a spare key made for a friend coming to stay and it didnt actually fit the lock. Luckily none of the teeth were cut too small so I was able to carve it into the correct shape with an X-acto knife. Keys are super nonsecure.

There’s a few super-secure keys that are nutso, but otherwise yeah. It’s hilarious how much locks just keep honest people honest.

And yet for every super-secure key, there’s some even more nutso people in the lockpicking community showing off their quantum shimming techniques and how even your nth-dimensional hyperkeys are no longer secure.

It’s one of the funny things about the lockpicking community. If you just dabble, spend like 10 hours on lockpicking over the course of your entire life and buy some baby’s first bump keys and lock picks. You are now able to handle like 95% of locks that exist.

Everyone who actually goes deep, feels just like academia discussing higher order strategies of chmess.

(chmess is a variant of chess with 2 queens that nobody actually plays)

For real. I’m pretty sure I could reverse-engineer a master key for my entire apartment building with a single weekend’s work, a small box of blanks, and only my own door lock.

Oh yeah man, mastering attacks. Some of the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVPSaKLKHd4

Here’s how to do it with a couple of blanks and at least one key that works in the Mastering system.

It’s even easier if you can get like, five, or twenty, or whatever keys from the same system; then you can find the common vs. mastered pins and concentrate on those.

I needed a second key-fob for my building for my girlfriend, which the building wouldn’t give me. However this worked perfectly
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KC9WBXF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

Interview was not great. Not terrible, but not great. Its really obvious they want someone with specific experience I don’t have. I don’t even know why they interviewed me. Its shitty that jobs I can get are with ambulance chasing psychos thay pay laughable salaries, less than what I make now for more work.

If it’s the kind of company where they want to hire someone who already knows and is a master of X, Y, and Z, then it’s not a place you want to work anyway. Consider it just a good learning experience and interview practice.

A good workplace will have people that recognize that nobody on earth exists that has the specific knowledge they are looking for. They should be hiring for someone that has the prerequisite skills and is able to learn. A place that fosters learning and curiosity is extremely likely to be a good place to work.