Fail of your Boo-Yah (and vica-versa)

From the old forum. First comment (October 2009) by Luke Burrage:

In the lingo of the interwebs, some things are full of win yet lead to epic fail, and some fails lead to nothing but win. Categorization is tricky.

To get to the point quickly: why does it take 48 hours of obvious flirtation, walks along the beach, trips out alone to see awesome places, singing songs on the guitar, going out for dinner, and so much more... why does it always take inappropriately long for a girl to mention she has a boyfriend?

This is not the first time, and I guess it won’t be the last.

Last comment by ThatGent:

Fail: A standard hours 5-day deployment turned into a 14-24 day 12+ schedule.

Booyah: We discovered Shipley’s Donuts.

Fail: My internet connection, for currently no discernible reason, is maxing out at about 240Kbps, strongly suspect I’ve been Telstra’d yet again.

Boo-yah - Forum still works pretty alright even at that speed.

1 Like

Fail: Fuck rss/xml validation.

Boo-yah: Validated.

1 Like

Fail: I have lived in this town literally my whole life and had no idea that we have a popular gaming store.

Boo-yah: I HAVE PEOPLE TO GAME WITH NOW!!! :grin:

Boo-Yah: Governor Brown announced today that California’s 4-year drought is finally over.
Fail: New gas tax approved. (Thank goodness I filled my car days before that happened.)

Boo-yah: My cousin had his baby and everything went well.

Fail: My high school band director died this morning.

Fail: Gose (Pronounced: Goes-uh) beer I brewed today fucked up in the final step of the brewing process while carbonating in the bottles. Yeast is floating in there making it gush if I open at room-temperature and smell a lot more off. Tasted great before bottling even. I was so looking forward to it but damn. Best case scenario it needs to wait; worst case scenario I wasted plenty of time and money.

Boo-yah: Learning from these mistakes should make my beers better and now I can stress the importance to brew this style correctly to my peers.

1 Like

I got a message early from some of our UK employees saying they couldn’t get into the vpn. I try it, discover I can’t either and head in early to see what’s up. I get in before the US wakes up and quick fix it (turn it on) turns out the whole building lost power for more than 60 minutes and that’s all our UPS could handle.

Fail: our building lost power so its basically as though every surface in this building is on fire (I’m actually just a big baby with temperatures above like 75F)

How does losing power make the building hotter?

Modern buildings rapidly heat without active HVAC.

When I worked up in Yonkers, the power went out one day. We evacuated the office building.

An hour later, it was 80* inside. By afternoon, it was well over 100.

[quote=“SkeleRym, post:10, topic:105”]
Modern buildings rapidly heat without active HVAC.
[/quote]Yep. Lots of equipment pumping out heat(Doesn’t seem like much, but over time in a closed environment, even a desktop computer can heat a room to a comfortable temperature), people putting out heat by being alive, big glass windows basically being like a greenhouse, sealed environment with little opportunity for the heat to escape, few paths for convection to move air around the building, they heat up like mad.

Even our apartment building is like this. In the winter, if the heat in the building actually fails, it takes days for it to actually get cold, and never never gets that cold. We also semi-regularly need to open windows or run the ACs in the early spring or late fall.

Pretty much what Rym and Churba said. That and it’s just really hot along the northeast corridor right now. As of an hour ago it was 80F with 50% humidity. It’s surely hotter now but not updated.

The power is back and everything that needed a button pressed has been pressed but so far only one room has really cooled down so I’m spending my work day in the conference room where it isn’t “I wanna die” temps.

I genuinely worry I’ll die in February in Sydney. Like I’ll be hit by a falling eucalyptus branch in a parking lot and die of exposure.

[quote=“Naoza, post:13, topic:105”]
I genuinely worry I’ll die in February in Sydney. Like I’ll be hit by a falling eucalyptus branch in a parking lot and die of exposure.
[/quote]Don’t worry mate, there’s no trees in the middle of Sydney. The pavement will melt your shoes a bit on some days, though, so kinda avoid the asphalt a bit.

I simultaneously anticipate moving to a foreign land where things are different and exciting, and dread the heat of AU. I guess that’s another fail of my boo-yah.

[quote=“Churba, post:14, topic:105”]
The pavement will melt your shoes a bit on some days, though, so kinda avoid the asphalt a bit.
[/quote]That’s been happening in New York lately. The other week I sunk a good inch into some asphalt…

I really wish they would use more concrete. It makes more noise with cars, but it’s more durable, and more heat resistant because it’s gray instead of black. At bus stops they frequently make a block of concrete in the shape of a bus. In places they don’t, you can see huge indentations in the road right where the bus tires go.

Asphalt is just cheaper to pave. It’s also easier and cheaper to destroy and replace if you have to dig a hole in the street. In NYC that is quite often.

Not that you don’t already know this but that right there is the be all end all. I’m sure there’s better but also more expensive paving materials out there that kick concrete’s ass but they’re more expensive so they don’t get used. 'cept maybe in like rich people driveways or something.

Rich people got paver driveways. Basically, a bunch of bricks. Like a patio with a car on it.

I ain’t gonna pretend I know material science but I know the driveway you’re talking about. I don’t think that’d go over well as a real paving material though for like roads.

Maybe by rich people I mean people so rich they hire a material scientist to optimize the material they use for the form and function of their specific driveway.