Fail of your Boo-Yah (and vica-versa)

I ordered a cheapo set of balcony furniture. A small table and two chairs in a set that all fold to get out of the way. I wanted the style of furniture they have in Bryant Park in NYC. The problem is that those ones are made by Fermob and would cost $500+

Luckily, I found some cheapo clone ones. They are cheapo because they are all metal and far less well manufactured. Just $100!

Problem, the order tracking says they were delivered to Montana. I asked for a refund and got it.

Surprise! After I got the refund the cheapo table and chairs suddenly got delivered. Do I give back my refunded money???

I mean, thereā€™s so much moral grey area with this, Iā€™d just say unless there was a compelling reason to act, I would not bother refunding the money.

If it was a small company that is struggling then maybe. But since theyā€™re selling knockoff designs thereā€™s that part of me that says ā€œfuck emā€ but also that thinks wherever you ordered it from is a big enough company in the first place to sell knockoffs for $100 that they donā€™t need your $100.

If you still felt awkward about it, maybe donate the refund to something?

There was a very easy button to click for ā€œundo refundā€ so I did it. Whatev.

I never understand the ā€œdonate the stolen money to charityā€ concept.

I mean, honestly I donā€™t either which is why I wouldnā€™t do it. But I know some people do the whole ā€œI donā€™t want your money just donate to this group instead of paying meā€ or whatever which prompted the suggest.

If one accepts it as ā€œstolen moneyā€ then the only solution is return it, and if one thinks its just ā€œwindfall of a computer errorā€ then just keep it (unless someone asks.) And I think itā€™s very contextual which is the morally optimal solution even if thereā€™s more clear legal definitions depending on jurisdiction.

Boo-Yah: After like literally a decade of working towards this scenario, the startup Iā€™ve co-founded with a partner has ordered two brand new machines from Haas. They will have the ability to actually make some seriously cool parts and products in ways that my previous tools have been insufficient to execute on in any practical scale.

Fail: The machines are going to be finished and shipped way ahead of schedule (they said expect 6-8 weeks and looks like itā€™ll be 2.5) and so the shop space that weā€™re putting them in will have to be vacated weeks ahead of schedule. Or, we will have to pay for them to sit at the rigging company warehouse until weā€™re ready, which might get expensive in itself.

Lemonade to squeeze from this Lemon: It will hopefully give me the motivational goal I need after months of this sitting around at home in isolation, being in ā€˜sustainā€™ mode, to finally kick things into high focus ā€˜make make makeā€™ mode and actually get the stuff out of the shop and finished.

3 Likes

Oooh, whatā€™d you score?

VF-2 and an ST-10. Solid, full power machines but no frills either. If this works out at all I anticipate weā€™ll have some more machines within 2 years.

1 Like

Itā€™s good iron! And definitely machines thatā€™ll serve you well, Haas make good kit.

2 Likes

Iā€™m hoping so. I was also eyeing Doosan and Mazak, but ultimately thereā€™s just so much support for Haas around here as well as material online, that it was basically the only solid choice, especially for a noob on their own like me.

Very excited to know that its all officially ordered, itā€™s been an ongoing process of research and dealing with the HFO sales reps and my partner securing financing and having to go through all sorts of hoops. We started seriously talking about it back in January and like, now itā€™s real and still it just means moving on to the next challenge in the pipeline.

Iā€™m surprised any of it got this far, to be honest.

Boo-yah, got internet access back up and working.

Fail: a desk was scarificed to get it.

I applied for a job that really suited my nerdiness. I didnā€™t get it. But at least I had an interview and was treated with basic human dignity by receiving a reply informing me they went with another candidate.

Did they give you what you could improve? I love when they let me know what I could do better next time or what to learn or work on in order to be more likely to get the position next time?

A little bit. They seemed impressed by my enthusiasm, but the problem they foresaw was that I live too far away so the commute would be murder. Before All Of This, I had a lousy commute, compounded by how I do not give one single fuck about my job, so I guess I didnā€™t seem enthusiastic enough.

My mother just informed me that she found a new job. This would ordinarily be a boo-yah, except that she plans on retiring on the 1st of April 2021 when she gains legal access to her pension. The only reason she got the job (and is forced to take it) is because of the job service of the Austrian state having organized it for her. Also, considering she has to start a new job in a new environment in the middle of a pandemic isnā€™t great either.

Why is it that sometimes I wish I earned more in 2019, when the bank is deciding to give me a mortgage, and sometimes I wish I had earned less in 2019, when I am submitting my accounts for tax reasons?

And sometimes I wish I earned more in 2019, when the state government is deciding how much relief money it might give me?

Celebrate by ordering a new phone.

Get immediate reminder that capitalism is still at full hp.

Got new phone and had to transfer all my 2FA. I got some yubikeys to make life easier. They totally worked! Now if I ever get a new phone, hopefully at least 4+ years from now, it should be relatively painless. I also have recovery codes for everything.

Except during this process, the geeknights Instagram 2FA got messed up somehow. I canā€™t even login to the account at all, not even with the recovery codes I have. I think IG fucked the fuck up. Hope their support gets back to me.

I started trying to learn a bit of japanese again. I tried in the past and know a bit of the basic things, but with a tiny vocabulary so far, but I think Iā€™m making progress. The most difficult part is of course learning Kanji. What I noticed is that Iā€™m doing better with learning Kanji if I also write it a couple of times by hand. However, unfortunately even there some stuff is rather annoying.

For example, the Kanji for candy has two different ways of writing it, which changes the number of strokes. I recently spotted the Kanji in a manga and thought it would be a good opportunity to learn it outside of my regular studies, except there some resources actually mix up how it is written, e.g.

Another pitfall I found just now is that even though the Kanji for ā€œleftā€ and ā€œrightā€ look rather similarly, the stroke order is different from each other:

To make it short: Kanji are difficult.

Recently upgraded the Mac Plus from 1MB of RAM to 4MB of RAM. Also soldered a diode to the motherboard to add SCSI termination power. Both of these upgrades worked perfectly. However, the keyboard was not working.

I bit the bullet and managed to buy another working keyboard. Not easy since only the earliest Macs use a special keyboard cable and protocol.

https://macgui.com/news/article.php?t=440

The Apple IIgs and later Macs all used ADB for keyboard and mouse.

Anyway, the good news is that it works. This means that the problem is the old keyboard is broken. I donā€™t know how to fix it, so Iā€™ll sell it or give it away to someone who does.

Also, there are several adapters for ADB and USB. Letting you use new keyboard on old Macs and old keyboards on modern PCs. There are very few adapters available for the mac 512K keyboards. You can get one that lets you use the old keyboard on a new PC somewhat easily. The only thing I can find to let you use a new keyboard on an old Mac requires making your own adapter with an Arduino and putting some open source software on it.

If someone made a USB->Mac 512K adapter in a nice package, you could probably get some nice sales.