Fail of your Boo-Yah (and vica-versa)

EKlDj4PUYAAiq2D

I have made this turkey kit. It’s hard to fuck up.

2 Likes

OMG I saw those on sale at TJs. Can’t believe someone I know about and made it. LOL. Nice work.

Fail (also sort of Boo-Yah): No longer running for office. I was largely going for a seat I thought would be empty but incumbent decided to run shortly after I did. Even if I had a good chance of winning against her, I, a white male, don’t want to take the seat from a Latina, especially one as great and actively involved in making our community better. Many of us were hoping she’d run for Mayor but she decided to do a second term in order to see several of her initiatives to completion, which I discovered from having a sit down with her. I do plan to support her campaign and be active with helping her achieve her goals.

Boo-Yah: This gave me a bit more free time than I expected to have at the moment, which allowed me to set up a date this coming weekend.

6 Likes

This is great strategy. Stick with it and she can support you to take her role after she moves up.

I see this happen all the time even in NYC. When a city council seat is vacated, the front runner is usually someone who worked closely with the former councilperson, like their chief of staff or whatev.

2 Likes

So for the past month I organized a beer/food event to coordinate with my city’s Restaurant Week. Had a flight of beers lined up with four different spreads/breads to pair with. Organizing could have gone better but everything went well when it came time to serve the beers.

Fail: Someone labeled the beers wrong when they were pouring, so instead of people having a Orange Creamsicle IPA to go with some Aji Verde (Herby Garlic Sauce)…they got a Salted Caramel Witbier instead. And we didn’t find this out until the last flight was sent out. None of the bartenders knew because the two beers look the same. And we even had regulars to the brewery there who couldn’t tell the difference either. Not a single person noticed this issue or even suggested something tasted off.

Boo-Yah: The Aji Verde with the Salted Caramel Witbier (That people thought was an Orange IPA from the menu) was the hit of the night. Somehow the herbs really burst out against all that sweetness.

Beer is a lot like wine where the power of suggestion is incredibly powerful. If you were to drink beer without looking at it or being told what style it is, you’d have a really hard time figuring it out. For a second I was beside myself because the bartenders made a colossal screw-up during this RSVP event however we discovered something insanely great.

3 Likes

that’s like when wine connoisseurs taste tested what they were told were some high end wines when in fact it was two buck chuck.

So I’m honestly not sure where to post this so I guess I’ll put it here.

Many moon ago some people were butter over the fact that paint was no longer like gonna be standard in windows installs or something. Our gracious hosts in normal fashion made fun of these people.

I mostly didn’t care but I just remembered a useful reason for keeping paint around and it’s also my fail.

Sometimes, rarely these days but sometimes you have a thing in windows that opens a cmd window, throws some output on it and closes immediately. Sometimes that’s the only output you’re gonna get for why it’s not doing the thing you want it to do.

There’s probably a way to like fiddle with runtime flags to get it to not do that but if you’re a pro child like me, you can nab a screenshot on the exact frame (or close to it) and then paste that screenshot into paint and read your error without having to fiddle around with other nonsense.

This exact scenario happened to me today and amusingly I only got about half the window and therefore about half the message. That was enough though, I was able to see the issue and fix it from that.

Behold my frame perfect (almost) windows inputs that wouldn’t be possible or at least easy to see on a random server without paint.

Couldn’t you use any old screenshot tool? Why does it have to be Paint?

I used the print screen key on the keyboard. That just records a snapshot of the screen into the clipboard. I can’t view it from the clipboard. Gotta put it on the screen somehow.

I could go through the hassle of downloading paint.net or gimp or have photoshop or whatever. Or I could use a lightweight image manipulation program already on the machine. Paint.

I don’t think paint is like godlike or something. My position is all windows machines should have a basic image manipulation program on them by default. They already do.

On up to date versions of Windows 10 there is snip+sketch. Press Win + Shift + S.

Yeah that works just fine.

It’s a bit of a pain to have to press 3 keys when it used to be 1 but I can still get a perfect input using this.

Yeah, with snip + sketch you would have to press the three buttons in advance, then hit the snap at the right moment.

Of course, there’s another solution that avoids the frame perfect input together. Just record video of the screen.

Also, there’s probably a hidden windows way to find the log of the what happened without screenshots, I just don’t know it.

I could see the error events in event viewer, but they didn’t contain the output I needed. /shrug.

That’s about what I expect from Windows Event Viewer.

I successfully used Windows Event Viewer once.

I was trying to enable Windows sending SNMP traps out for certain kinds of system failures. I was able to, in Windows Event Viewer, see the OID of an event that wasn’t working as expected and solve a problem.

It was the only time I’ve ever used that feature successfully.

Some bad news: Jim sold SGN.

I’m happy he got paid. But he’s not hosting it any more, and it’s unlikely I ever watch it again.

Fail: So in the project I am working on I am finding out how Twitch likes to store VODs. What I thought is that it will take your stream, cut it into chunks, once you playback the chucks it will low key load the next chunk while you are watching it so that you would not have to load a 13+ hour file all at once.

In reality it will do this but then scramble the order of the files so that in order to watch something in order you would need to jump around the file and re-piece it together, like a hard drive that did not de-frag itself. What this causes is that when you wanted to take an hour and say edit it into your editor you would need to scrub the 13 hour file, find the pieces, rearrange them in the order that you want, and do multiple test renders to make sure you have them in the correct order.

This is taking something that should have been a two cut job and turning it into a multiple hour puzzle to make sure you did not forget to include anything.

Boo-Yah: I HAVE SEEN MY HAT

I beat the GDI campaign in Command and Conquer: Tiberian Dawn (Remastered)!

Unfortunately, that also means I spent spent several hours blowing up imaginary doodz instead of anything remotely useful while in the middle of a Rampjaar.

1 Like

Time spent having fun is rarely wasted.

1 Like