Booh yah! Show me your moves!

Not only did Patrick Stickles read and RT my article on his album, but critically acclaimed writer Ryan H Walsh is in the replies to this tweet, so clearly he read it too.

3 Likes

I have an interview to be a paralegal with our State Corporation Commission and if I get it it’s a 30% raise, state benefits and a real career. Holy shit I am nervous but excited.

2 Likes

Made it out of my bracket for Tekken 7 at my very first EVO. With any luck I’ll survive long enough to make it on stream.

4 Likes

Applied for my first job since leaving my last one 2 years ago.

8 Likes
3 Likes

Gratuliere zum Piefke-Ausweis :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Congrats!

Does this belong in the UK Political thread instead?

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1oKvCliRbo/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

2 Likes

I start a new job today, with a 20k salary raise. I wonder when businesses will realize that I can get a larger “raise” from just jumping to another company than staying where I am and collecting a 1%/year raise? They’re just going to bleed talent over and over again!

This is essentially the only way to get a real raise as a Millennial I feel. I came out of college into the post-recession job market of 08-09 and all my yearly raises have essentially been at or just above the inflation rate (2.5% raises for example). I made a pretty similar move to you this jan.for pretty much the same raise via new offer.

Every significant increase in pay I’ve ever had, save for the minimum wage hike when I was a teenager bussing tables for fun money, was from getting a new job.

I had one job for a very long time and got small percentage raises each year. I could have changed jobs frequently and been making bank right now, but I would have had to work at some shitty places. I have no regrets regarding that.

The principle behind this is pretty simple. For most jobs, there is no path of promotion. Even when there is, there’s no need to promote people until old people die or retire. You get a job at 25, the boss is 45. You going to wait 20+ years for a spot to open up? Unless the company is growing or entering new lines of business, there are no new positions being created at the top, but maybe at the bottom.

Even if new positions do open, they are for management people. It’s very hard to get promoted while still just doing the same thing, like writing code or selling things. The only path of promotion is to move into a position of leadership and/or business decision-making power. If you’re not in that management ladder, you’re on a team of workers, and a very narrow path connects to that ladder. There’s also no hope if you have no interest in leadership.

However, when you change jobs, it’s a whole different story. Another company needs people. They can’t lure you away offering a minor pay increase for the same work. They need to give you a big boost to convince you to overturn your life and come work for them. So by moving around a lot works as kind of a proxy for auctioning yourself off to the highest bidder.

3 Likes

Exactly. That only exists in large corporations.You can move from assistant manager to manager to regional manager to general manager to COO in a company with many thousands of employees. But most companies have Senior Management, Management, and Contributors. That’s it. Maybe two levels of contributor.

Major raises in the modern world do come without promotions, but only in healthy (or evily) growing companies. And they only happen in companies that have a deep need to retain talent. If people are more fungible, it’s easier to replace someone who leaves.

Sales people get de facto raises through sales commissions and bonuses. So do a lot of managers and product people. So you get paid extra based on performance, and can get a “raise” by just doing well at your job. Getting better at your job will naturally make you more money.

Also in civil service, but that’s sort of a large corporation of a different nature.

I’ve thought off and on about entering the private sector to get a salary boost, but I’ve figured out what my effective compensation needs to be in order to just maintain my current income level, and it’s ridiculously more than anyone will pay for my skillset.

There’s a lot to be said for the value of a pension, heavily subsidized health insurance, and more leave than virtually any other industry.

2 Likes

I’d give up a lot of my salary to get more leave. But that isn’t an option in the private sector.

I need to burn a couple of weeks of vacation some time before March to make sure I don’t go over my accrual cap (40 days, currently sitting at 36 days accrued). Most significant travel is sort of a nonstarter - we’re trying it out this weekend but it’s going to be a rough time - so I think a staycation of some sort is in order.

1 Like

I’ve got to take 5 concurrent days of mando-leave by Dec 31st for compliance with SEC. We may do a NYC foodie vacay or it could just end up being me taking a home stay-cation and getting stuff done around the house.

Is that where they make you go on holiday wearing a t-visor helmet and a jetpack?

2 Likes