Booh yah! Show me your moves!

I did ROTC for awhile in college and picked up a much of military slang. Mando-fun was when there was an optional social event that everyone was required to go to. I call it Mando-leave because if its the last week in December and I haven’t taken it I will be told to leave and go home and not come back. SEC (securities exchange commission) requires all employees take 5 consecutive days off with no phone or email contact once a year so that no one person can basically tank a company by not being available. I wish they gave me a jetpack and a cool helmet.

That’s news to me.

That’s common for traders and certain people who work for broker dealers.

I wasn’t covered by it, but a lot of my coworkers were the last time I worked at a sellside.

At first I read this as you working for the SEC.

I have more complex opinions on them than I used to. They’re… somewhat ineffective as an organization. They have STRICT disclosure they force on firms, and if it’s not adhered to they will destroy you. But basically as long as you disclose what you’re doing they have a bit of a buyer beware do-whatever-you-want policy.

Like there’s a thing you can do, which is just straight up insider trading, but it’s totally fine by the SEC because of how it works. Basically first you be a person who’s got that insider knowledge. Like say you know there’s gonna be a huge stock buyback at the end of the quarter because you’re in the c-suite. You can disclose you’re selling a certain amount at a later date and then the buyback happens seconds before your scheduled sale and boom incredible temporary value for your sale.

I’m told FINRA is the body most compliance officers fear. They’re like the SEC but without the power to do anything to you (maybe come after the license of the compliance officer is as far as they can go) but unlike the SEC they’re actually looking out for shenanigans and don’t care whether or not you disclose your BS.

My company is a market maker so while I personally am not a trader I believe the fact that the company as a whole is a market maker is why this is applied across the board. I could be wrong about that though. It may also be because I am in a direct tech support role for the software side of the biz so I’m deemed a critical employee or some such.

Regarding the scheduled trades you are referring to (Insider Selling Isn't Always A Bad Sign) the wording is basically if you schedule a trade and knew material information at that time then it would be illegal, if however you scheduled the trade and then later found out material information its protected.

Speaking of the SEC, and giving a shout-out to a recent podcast I finished by Michael Lewis, this is a great article about a 15 year old high-schooler being sued by the SEC for stock market fraud. Like most things written by Michael Lewis, it’s great:

1 Like

I have officially worked six days this year.

I was clearly given very poor career advice.

3 Likes

So I can find out specifics, but I know of not only the general tactic I’m talking about but also a specific instance of it occurring. It’s more complicated than I said, for one it involves a structured sell where they sold a bunch of what they had over a period of time. But then exactly what I said occurred, they didn’t just have knowledge of a buyback they were able to vote on said buyback.

Again I could get specifics but something something lawyers, structured sell whatever. At the end of the day they they did an insider trade and got super paid, legally. The compliance officers I know are the ones who’ve told me about this and they were impressed themselves to find out it was legal.

Kinda wish I had more money this year though.

I would trade some of my money for your time if I could.

I really want to get into civil service but my interview with our State Corporation Commission made me really doubt I have the skills to even attempt to move up to a proper paralegal without taking a massive pay cut to go idiot entry level legal secretary, or going back to school AGAIN and getting a bachelors in paralegal studies at which point I may as well say fuck it and go to law school.

1 Like

Well, Luke’s available for hire, right?

1 Like

Yes, but hiring him to juggle will not decrease the amount of time I have to be at work.

1 Like

“What do you mean? I’m totally Scott, your coworker.” Distracts them with juggling

4 Likes

I also build websites with Django.

1 Like

How good are you/luke at applying a bald cap, and beard applique with spirit gum.

After moving last year I tried out how much I still needed my car. My workplace is only about 25 minutes by bike and only slightly longer by the city bus (in case of bad weather), I did my grocery shopping on foot or by bike, and really didn’t need it. I still tried to make sure when the leasing was up and waited over the summer, in which I took the car like 10 total times, and one of them was to pick up my second set of tires from storage.

So today I sold off my car. After fielding some offers from multiple re-sellers and car dealers who all were not willing to pay a decent price, I found a buyer. Maybe I could have still haggled them up a bit, but I got a price I could live with and 300€ more than the best other offer I had (and 500€ more than what a friend said I should sell off immediately).

But most of all I am just glad to be finally rid of the car. No more stupid insurance payments for something I don’t actually need or really use.

4 Likes

NAS parts have been order now the wait for them to arrive before the build. To prep this I also shucked my first HD from its enclosure, my projects are appearing to be coming up Milhouse…

1 Like

By changes to my diet alone I’ve lost ten pounds in about a month. I haven’t even cut out any foods in particular, just been more conscious about what and how much I’m eating. I’m having a Clif bar for breakfast, usually leftovers for lunch in a reasonable portion and then basically whatever I like for dinner. It’s been way easier than I ever thought it could be.

2 Likes