Battletech

Multi-shot is a bit of a trap, but you can high-roll it. Let’s say there’s an almost dead 'mech. You got 2 PPCs. If one of them hits, that 'mech is done. Normally you’re going to fire both to be safe. But if the first hits, the second is a wasted shot. You could have fired that second one at a different target, or not fired it at all and saved the heat. Multi-shot allows you to go for the jackpot.

1 Like

Also, I use multishot a bunch to take out multiple vehicles, because ain’t nobody got time to fuck around with your tank bullshit.

Taking out Shrek’s and Demolisher’s with full stats is something I don’t gamble on a partial kill with. They get a full alpha.

Needed to share this. Some days are good, some days are bad, and some days are pure artistry.

Context: Highlander, Zeus, Orion, Grasshopper vs Awesome, Banshee, King Crab, and Stalker

EDIT: Because people will ask, I got the King Crab and 2/3rds of the Awesome.

1 Like

Answer me this: Is it a mech FPS like Mechwarrior 3 or something else?

It’s turn-based tactical squad battles and roster management; a lot like XCOM.

Something else. Strategy game, top down, moving multiple units on the battlefield. If you want Mech FPS in this universe, your options are either older games, or Mechwarrior online.

Mechwarrior 5 is slated to come out in the near future, it’s going to be FPS similar to the older games.

1 Like

I ran into Demolishers and Shreks. Those were fun.

Well.

“Fun.”

And then I discovered the SRM carrier.

Those were really fun.

Maybe one day I’ll get something bigger than a Dragon or a Quickdraw. Your salvage makes me jealous.

This weekend, I discovered the joys of Chrome Remote Desktop, alongside Nircmd. Boot up the PC, Nircmd the projector off, turn it off, and then remote into the PC. Play Battletech literally anywhere that has Chrome and wifi.

It’s a bit choppy on my Chromebook, but it’s a turn-based tactics game so who cares?

There’s also an Android app, so you can run it on any Android device. Temptation to play Battletech on my phone is high, but I’m pretty sure that would be a difficult experience. A tablet would work though.

Currently resisting the temptation to play at work. Pretty sure I’d get superfired for that.

That’s great, but how is it better than just Steam stream?

Doesn’t Steam Stream require you to be on the same network?

That would probably be better for in-home streaming, sure, but Remote Desktop allows me to access it anywhere.

Unless I’m mistaken about how Steam Stream works?

You are doing this from ANYWHERE? Daaaamn. Yes, Steam Stream only works on the LAN. You could try to trick it into streaming off the LAN by using a VPN, but it would probably perform like shit.

I mean, that’s the idea. Chrome Remote Desktop works anywhere, so long as you are logged into the proper Google account. I could do this from my phone over LTE if I didn’t care about data.

Now.

I haven’t tested it at a remote location yet, so this is hypothetical. It should work, but I don’t know how well it’ll work - but Remote Desktop does this thing, and I did it successfully at home. Maybe tomorrow I’ll try it out and about.

Apparently, some people have done some futzing with bridging connections to make Steam Link function over the Internet as well, so I may try it and see how it works.

Totally not doing this at work though, because they monitor our network traffic like woah.

So here’s what you do at work. Pick the co-worker you hate. Wait for them to leave their computer unlocked, because nobody obsessively and reflexively always locks their computer when they stand up like Rym and I do. Enable Internet connection sharing over wifi with no SSID broadcast. Practice at home so you can get to the settings and do it really fast.

Now you can connect your phone to their computer with wifi. Then when you use a ton of bandwidth, it will look like it is coming from the co-workers computer. Even if they discover the trick, they will have no way to find you, especially since you are using a VPN to connect to your house. It will just be encrypted traffic as far as the work network is concerned.

The only major roadblock will be that you have to have a computer that has a wired ethernet connection, but also has a wifi card. An iMac is a perfect target.

Also hope that nobody goes through the detective work to check security cameras or anything like that.

We don’t have cameras and I have just the asshole in mind…

The pro move is setting up such networks all over the place and having a burner phone configured to hit them all…

If the bosses were determined, they have a pretty good chance of figuring out it’s you, even if they don’t know what you’re doing, I think.

Pros set up deniable infrastructure long in advance of getting up to shenanigans.

Part of that deniable infrastructure is a trail of breadcrumbs to a fall guy.

“Steve, we see a ton of VPN traffic going to Whaleshark’s house’s IP from your computer.”

“What is VPN.”

“Whaleshark, we see a ton of VPN traffic going to your house’s IP through Steve’s computer.”

I guess you could figure out N coworker’s addresses, corresponding home IPs, and have your VPN mirror your traffic to all their addresses as well. Or just proxy through an AWS box, but where’s the fun in that?