Battletech

What. It’s the thing that drove me the craziest about that game. If you’re going to tell me a percentage don’t lie to me.

Any reading material on how they actually fudge the numbers?

At first when I played it, it felt like they just took the pen and paper rules and slightly modified them to make it a better video game experience. Things like initiative and evasion and such.

Now that I played it more, I just really wish they had implemented the pen and paper rules precisely as written with no changes. They’re not going to be able to improve much on a game that is almost as old as I am.

It’s all in the thread I linked. The guy is still trying to figure it out exactly, but the curve doesn’t actually seem to match a 2d6 roll, weirdly enough. It’s not a straight probability distribution, so it’s not like a d20, and it seems to be the inverse of 2d6.

As I said, one of the comments in there has instructions for turning it off and letting the RNG be straight RNG.

I suppose it’s possible that they tried to implement the 2d6 thing and just did it wrong.

Now that I played it more, I just really wish they had implemented the pen and paper rules precisely as written with no changes. They’re not going to be able to improve much on a game that is almost as old as I am.

It’s really really close, as far as I can tell. Damage values, ranges, damage transfer, critical hits, etc. Seems like the to-hit math and the streak-breaking bits are the most out-of-place and problematic.

They could at least draw a literal hex map and lock everything in.

Also I wonder if the “fixing” is just a campaign thing. Definitely shouldn’t be a PvP skirmish thing.

I mean, MegaMek and MekWars both exist, if you really want a faithful adaptation.

I got ruined on that last bit of the Argo recovery mission. The boss lady took out three of my mechs with two pilots KIA. But I figure I can just build up my team again despite half my starting crew dying.

If the game crashes on launch, reboot your computer.

That seems like not a great bug to have. Any other issues running the game?

I’ve had a couple of major bugs so far:

• On the coronation mission, I moved one of my other mechs into the narrow canyon right before the dropship, which blocked the way for Kamea and made it impossible to finish the mission once I no longer had control of them. I had to restart the whole mission. Don’t make that mistake!
  • Medusa seems to have gained permanent “High Spirits”, which is actually pretty ridiculous.

If you have the cash and mercenary rating it gets easier to replace losses mostly because you have better access to soldiers with abilities already trained.

I’ve had no crashes, and the game runs smooth as silk. But I do find that I spend a LOT of time letting the days pass by waiting for refits/repairs.

I finished the campaign last week. Still trying to catch em all and get all the most overpowered weapons.

So I just remembered this game is made by Hairbrained Schemes which also made that Shadowrun cRPG. I played through most of the first game on my iPad and at some point I realized the game had glitched and my MC couldn’t die. They would go down to one health and would never go lower. It was kinda ridiculous, but whatever.

I kinda wish you could click on an event to jump to have have the time progress all the way to that point. There have been a couple times where I just have to sit there waiting for time to go by too.

This game is exactly everything I was hoping for. The jacket isn’t bad either although I doubt I’ll ever wear it anywhere.

Damn, that is a very high backer level on the Kickstarter. They actually delivered the jacket? I was down on the $50 tier.

I’ll take some pictures, it’s actually pretty high quality

When everyone else was playing Ad&D 2nd edition, I was playing Battletech and devouring the source books, 3025, vehicles, etc etc etc. Painting mech, I still have a couple. So this is my jam. When I saw someone was trying to make the game I was in, and I don’t kickstart often so I didn’t mind going in whole hog.

The jacket seems exactly like a modern nylon flight jacket (I’ve had one issued at a previous job, it’s seems a 100 percent match in quality, material and fit).

The ComStar blood chit is a nice touch.

4 Likes

Now that is a well-made jacket. It’s a very impressive bit of merch. Also, if you’re careful, and have some sharp, pointy scissors(Embroidery scissors are best, but careful application of sharp nail Scissors will do the job fine) you can trim out those single threads between the letters and such on the embroidered patches, if you wish, neaten it up just a touch. Just be careful not to snag any other threads.

Lesson learned (or remembered, really): when it will only take two laser shots to finish off that 'mech, use four.

1 Like

At end game right now (I kinda expect various patches will shake this up) I feel like multi-shot is a bit of a trap. Breeching shot is pretty good for like one round of combat where they’re actually braced.

Kinda running everyone bulwark and then tactics maxed.