Battletech

I’ma just stop you right there.

I work in civil service.

Nobody is that determined.

I’m fuzzy on the details but in the late 2000s I was able to arbitrarily set up what’s called ad-hoc networks from any computer running Windows XP or Vista regardless of whether it had a wireless card. Something about how all NIC cards had wifi-ish stuff going on for like a few feet. I used it to get wifi on my laptop from my PC to my bed.

I’m not sure if that is still possible today. Much like my lolbitcoin wallet, the warez that allowed me to do this perished in the fire.

Pretty sure they got rid of that.

That is not the case.

The ~30’ limitation was for other reasons. You still needed a wifi-enabled NIC for this to work. NICs do not have any sort of “local” wireless capability unless they’re actually wireless NICs.

At some point in the past I knew the specifics of how it worked. I remember coming to the conclusion that I could basically get wifi from pretty much any NIC. Apparently not because all NICs contained this property but perhaps because all of them in my vicinity were wireless nics.

Whatever the limitations. It was a cool party trick at RIT that I showed off any time it’d be convenient to have localized wifi.

But what about Battletech?

Small Lasers work at close range for sure.

The other mech doesn’t even need to do anything to receive high-powered “data” from them.

1 Like

I was reminded of this, that panel would be perfect for mech games.

https://youtu.be/d26xFlccjcM

I’ve genuinely considered getting that panel standalone, because it would be PERFECT for elite dangerous. A bunch of buttons for controling functions I normally have to either go to keyboard or go through multiple buttons or scrolls on my stick for(like weapon groupings and interface panels), along with an analog stick for my directional thrusters and other similar shite.

Ah well, work is apparently smart and has blocked our ability to remotely connect to other PC’s. I’m sure I could figure out a way around it, but I’m not that committed.

This looks promising, though.

I may have some hardware that can help you out.

At the end of the review he agreed with that statement. You can buy the panel by itself.

Oh yah?

I tested it locally with my phone this morning, and it works really well, except the touch interface is a giant pain. I’m considering a compact folding Bluetooth keyboard/mouse combo, like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B076V9Y2XZ/ref=sxbs_sxwds-stvp_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1528213031&sr=2&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=4426475454076864272&pd_rd_wg=DjMu6&pf_rd_r=EQQ9QX42PW5BXWA4QFT6&pf_rd_s=mobile-sx-bottom-slot&pf_rd_t=9701&pd_rd_i=B076V9Y2XZ&pd_rd_w=1gOrQ&pf_rd_i=flexible+keyboard&pd_rd_r=011809f8-4640-4025-b22f-d7eb1a72948d&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65

Yeah, I got one of these bad boys in the drawer. It’s from the time we were making pirate boxes.

https://amzn.to/2JjCIRh

Nice and small Hide it in the corner somewhere.

1 Like

OK, so I tested out the directions in the link, and it works for Android devices running the Steam Link app. Set up port forwarding appropriately, start Steam on your PC (which I managed to do using Remote Desktop from my phone), get your gaming PC’s public IP, punch that into the Steam Link app, and voila! It’s like 10x faster than using Remote Desktop, so totally worth it.

Definitely need wifi though, because this shit doesn’t work at all over 4G. So, tiny wireless access point would definitely be needed! Assuming I want to try playing at work, anyway - more realistically, this would be useful for out-and-about gaming, like if I’m hanging out killing time at a coffee shop or something.

Good news or bad news… you decide. I think it’s very good.

1 Like

The dollar figure just seems low to me.

I guess that does mean DLC is coming though.

Yeah, the dollar figure is low, but then Harebrained was a super small publisher that had to resort to Kickstarter to make their games. As good as BattleTech and Shadowrun are, we’re not talking Bungie or Bioware here.

Honestly, probably for the best. They’re staying on as a dev team, but also get the advantage of bigger publishing and advertising.

That’s my take as well. Paradox is a smart publisher so they hopefully won’t mess around with the team. I’m sure the Harebrained Scheme people are happy about the added security and “safety net” of a real publisher now.