Basesball

Has there been a request from someone “in the know” about a boycott? Like, if Stacy Abrams says “Boycott Georgia!” I’m on board, but I don’t want to start rejecting shit from GA just because.

It’s frustrating because the GOP high command is clearly using the regular people of Georgia as hostages. “Don’t boycott Georgia! You’ll hurt the people we’re actively trying to hurt!”

I haven’t heard any such thing. To be clear, I am also not suggesting that’s what should be done. What I’m saying is that it’s hypocritical for a company to pretend like it cares by doing some small thing when it has the power to do a much bigger thing.

I would 100% support a move by major league sports to suspend play for any franchise that is inside of a state that enacts any form of voter suppression.

I like the idea, but I’m not sure if the impact is a net positive. It would have to be arranged such that the owners of the team bear the brunt. e.g.: Force them to keep paying their employees and not lay anyone off or they just lose their team, etc. Not forced to sell the team, just lose it entirely.

Ya wouldn’t fear problems from other team owners in that instance?

I’m not against the idea of forcing the owners to bear the brunt. I do think that if this happened 15 years ago Steinbrenner would be like… fuck this team. MLB you can have it. I’m done with this shit.

And then other team owners doing the same, once they realize their MLB overlords are willing to actually use the teeth they inherently have

Anything MLB does is at the behest of the owners. The owners are the MLB overlords. The commissioner works for the owners. That’s exactly why they won’t ever do something like I suggested. But it’s also why that shit needs to change.

And if MLB, or another sport, had non-owner overlords who came down hard on owners, most would not just bail. The majority of rich people who own sports teams are not doing it for profit, although they may very well profit. They like owning it the way they like having fine art on the wall in their mansion. They’ll happily lose money to get a championship.

And that brings us to the final point. If you treat the owners badly, and they leave, so what? What do you need them for? Why does a pro sports team even need to be owned? Green Bay gets along just fine, and that’s the exception. I think the classic model of a sports team being owned by a single wealthy person should be the exception, not the rule. Let’s have pro sports operate for the public entertainment benefit. If there happen to be profits, give them to the city/state in which the team resides.

I mean my inner anarchist loves the idea of teams operating sans autocratic owners.

What I was saying was more like. The owners are very powerful people. If you treat them poorly they’ll wield that power. What they’d do is unclear, but it’d likely be something fans didn’t enjoy.

What are they going to do? When the other owners turned against Donald Sterling, he couldn’t do jack shit.

I mean off the top of my head… start selling the team’s stuff. Put a big “outta business 90% off, even the furniture must go” sign outside Yankee Stadium. Sell all the things.

They can’t if we take their team into receivership. It’s just not theirs anymore.

1 Like

If we’re going with the world that the MLB is the owners of the owners, then sure, game set match, they can’t do squat. Sadly we’re in real world where this’d never happen like you said, and even if it did they’d make it painful, like I said.

It doesn’t get any more Mets than this! Even Gary, Keith, and Ron know the truth.

Almost “Thing of the Day” worthy, but since it strongly fits into this category as well I’ll post it here. This made me laugh, both because of the sequence of events and the commentary is spot on. This is worth 1:18 of your time!

1 Like

Fartslam alert

1 Like
4 Likes

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2021/06/22/ball-mudder-machine-mlb-even-playing-field-sticky-substance/7768185002/

They’re finally going to completely ban foreign substances. However, there still remains the practice of applying mud to new baseballs.

I don’t understand this whole nonsense. Developing a machine to make sure every baseball has mud applied in the exact same way? How about this. You play with brand new fucking baseballs that have never been touched by anything other than the machines at the baseball factory. If you don’t like that they’re too smooth or whatever, fuck off and deal with it. You’re paid a zillion dollars to play this game, fucking figure it out.

Same goes for football with all those balls being specially prepared by the teams. You play with brand new footballs every time, and fucking get used to it.

1 Like

This is just peak “Baseball!”

Yesterday was the final game in a series between the Padres and Nationals. It was set to be a duel between two of the best pitchers in baseball, Max Scherzer and Yu Darvish. Darvish had a bad start, giving up 8 hits and 6 runs in 3 innings before getting pulled, only for his replacement Daniel Camarena to surrender another 2 runs. The Nationals are up 8-2 at the bottom of the 4th inning when Camarena steps up to hit with two outs and bases loaded and surprisingly doesn’t get Pinch-hit for. Then this happens:

At the end of the night, the pitching duel between Scherzer and Darvish ended with them combining to surrender 13 hits and 13 runs in a combined 6.2 innings. Woof.

30 for 30: Once Upon a Time in Queens. A 4-part documentary series.

To say that I am excited for this would be an understatement. I remember my dad letting me stay up late to watch the 1986 World Series with him. This team was the formative sports team of my childhood and despite what happened to some of the players since, I’ll always love them.

Guy hits the ball foul, but it rolls onto the chalk becoming fair right as the pitcher tries to pick it up but accidentally scoops it to the dugout. Ball is live. Three Pirates score while the Mets stand around with their tumbs up their ass.