Basesball

Cleveland’s team is getting a new name. It’s not a great name, but at least its better than “Steamers”.

As early as middle school I recognized the need for these teams to change their name. All these years later, it happens. Single player health care in 2050?

Apparently the name is a reference to the Guardians of Traffic statues which are part of the Hope Memorial Bridge. I think I saw some pictures of them before in reference to Cleveland, but had no idea what they were called until today.

This is a genius name change. Indians and Guardians has the same ending, and the same number of syllables. Everywhere that Indians fits, Guardians also fits.

Except the I’m not taken with the G at the start of the new name/logo.

Bryce Harper stole 2nd, 3rd, and home today. Not on the same play, but still.

Meanwhile, Cleveland may have a new name but apparently they also have very buttery baseballs, allowing an inside-the-park home run to Tampa’s Arozarena after committing by my count three Errors in a row.

1 Like

I’m really liking some of the art coming out with this decision too.

3 Likes

Yesterday pitcher Mauricia Llovera started the 9th inning for the Phillies and surrendered a home run to each of the next three batters for the Mets. He was only the second ever player to do so (three homers to three batters). The other was BJ Rosenberg in 2014, also for the Phillies.

The Phillies replaced Llovera after he had faced the three-batter-minimum that every relief pitcher has to be in for nowadays, and Ian Kennedy pulled the game out as the above three homers only made the game 5-3 with the Phillies holding the lead. Kennedy surrendered a hit and a walk, but ended the game with Strikeouts to two-time home-run derby winner Pete Alonso and 3-hole batter J.D. Davis. The Mets went 0-for-5 with runners in scoring position for the day.

This combined with Atlanta losing to Washington means the Phillies are now up at least 1.5 games on the rest of the Division. They took the lead on Friday by beating the Mets who are collapsing in an injury-riddled season, surrendering the top spot in the National League East after holding it for 90 days and despite the Phillies being 4 games behind only a week ago. The Mets are 2-8 in their last ten. The Phillies are riding a 7-game winning streak.

And today Zack Wheeler only allowed four balls to leave the infield for the complete game shutout against his former team, allowing only two hits and a single walk. Phillies sweep the Mets. Atlanta unfortunately won too so the lead holds at 2 games.

Yesterday there was an MLB game played in a cornfield in Iowa, and it ended the best way possible:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hixXndP7t4

Today I learned about Beat the Streak. Pick players that combine for a hitting streak to beat Joe DiMaggio’s 56 games, win $5.6 million:

NYT coverage is how I learned about it:

Not just in finance, evidently.

Scott was promoted to acting general manager in January after Jared Porter was fired following an ESPN report that he sent sexually explicit, uninvited text messages and images to a female reporter

This happened last night and I wanted to post about it after seeing it but was occupied with work. It is kind of ridiculous:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tvzyIIOvfg

2 Likes

I have no idea why they think keeping the shift on is somehow more valuable than giving up a run. They’ll definitely be thinking twice about that strategy next time.

The spreadsheet is almighty, and must be obeyed!

TWO GRAND SLAMS

TWO

1 Like

Jon and Alex are back with another multi-part baseball documentary.

Notably they are returning to 9-game double-headers and no more man-on-second to start extra innings.

Additionally, player uniforms will feature advertising for the first time, with patches on jerseys and decals on batting helmets.

Other elements of the deal include:

• The National League adopting the designated hitter.

Well this all sucks.

Remember that, in Star Trek, baseball is canonically obsolete. The final World Series was played in 2042 and the professional sport ceased to exist after that outside of schools and children’s playgrounds.