Apple Day

1 Like

iOS 15 Safari has the address bar at the bottom of the screen.

I assume this is because they keep making phones too big to use with one hand, so it’s in reach of your thumb. Luckily you can put it back in its rightful place with “show top address bar.”

Also it takes an extra tap now to get in or out of private browsing mode. Annoying.

On the other hand, I do like the new tab screen layout, and they brought back the magnifying glass when you’re dragging the cursor, undoing the previous UX fail.

1 Like
4 Likes

It’s time for men with grey hair, blue shirts, and black jeans with silver belt buckles to tell us about new CPU and GPU architectures.

1 Like

Now announced:

You can really see how the “chop” chip in the middle is very much just the top half of the full chip on the right.

Still a few more rows on the speculation diagram to go! The Mac Pro or iMac Pro or Mac Mini Pro are going to be wild.

1 Like

From the latest episode, the new Siri-only Apple Music offering is pretty much a match for Amazon’s single-Echo music tier:

1 Like

By far Apple Music has the most affordable HiRes music in the market, Tidal prices are crazy! Sadly voice doesn’t support HiRes. I wonder if Amazon Music Unlimited has HiRes option.

Even if they can demonstrate in double blind tests that people can actually tell the difference between the HiRes/spatial audio and normal old mp3s, history has shown that most people just don’t give a shit. And for lots of audiophiles, digital formats of any kind aren’t good enough. Some audiophiles won’t even accept lossless formats like flac! So the market for these things are people with too much money, and the subset of audiophiles that are ok with it.

That’s why they can charge a lot. It’s a luxury product that is only desired by people who are going to pay.

Also, it’s primarily a product more for the sell side. The music industry wants to push it and charge more for it even though there isn’t any significant demand for it on the consumer side. I think they see how video has succeeded with HD and now 4K, and they think the same model will work. Sadly, human hearing doesn’t work the same way as human vision.

Tldr, most people can’t tell the difference

1 Like

I don’t care much about the high res audio, but the spacial audio using the Dolby surround that Apple Music offers is pretty neat. “More than Stereo” is a good differentiator.

1 Like

Good video. I think it covered every point except one.

A very very large number of people have hearing loss of some kind. Likely everyone reading this. Definitely me. We can correct vision with glasses in a lot of cases to where yes, people can see 20/20 again. But for hearing, a lot of people who need hearing aids don’t have them, and won’t get them. And even if they did, it might not bring their hearing back up to perfection. And thus, even if they had a perfect hi-fi environment and everything was great, and it was possible to tell the difference, they still couldn’t. And that’s a significant percentage of the world’s population.

If they want hi res audio to matter they should invest in inventing prosthetic robot ears, so all humans can upgrade to dog level hearing, or better.

1 Like

Exactly! I only cared about the high res when listening in my audio system, but now with my old pair of Powerbeats Pro is a real game change for when I go for a long run or when training for long distance running. That being said, Apple is doing their best to keep us in their ecosystem by facilitating little things like that.

Just an additional thought. That would really be a fucking thing, right? If dogs or bats could make music. They just have more frequencies to work with. Like painting with colors we can’t see.

1 Like

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2021/10/28/airtags-theft/

I’m not used to having a camera in my pocket that can take photos so well at night.

3 Likes

That would make a great horror movie poster.

1 Like

Can you stalk someone by planting your AirTag on them?

tl;dw You can know pretty accurately where they are in a big city thanks to the popularity of iPhones to ping the AirTag and report the location, but if they are actively avoiding being found they have a decent chance of avoiding you if they keep moving constantly as if they are a spy being actively pursued. Since normal stalkees may not know they are being pursued, then yes you will probably be able to stalk the person quite effectively.

2 Likes

But of course it is happening for real:

1 Like

I think I remember a Wired article where they conducted this experiment before they were widely released where one journalist tracked a colleague without telling them, too? This has been known for a while, you’d think there would be a proactive “hey an AirTag was activated within x feet of you, is this you?” message or something?