Apple Day

Following on from the news/leaks about Apple creating chips with up to 40 CPU cores and 128 GPU cores, some people have been doing some back-of-the-envelope calculations, trying to see how such a chip would stack up against the current market leader, the GeForce 3090.

It goes a bit like this:

The 3090 manages 29.3 TFLOP.

The current M1 has 8 GPU cores, and manages 2.6 TFLOP. If you divide 2.6 by the 8 cores, you get 0.325 TFLOP per core.

So multiply 0.325 by 128, and you’re up to 41.6 TFLOP. That’s 30% higher than the 3090.

Of course, there’s a lot missing from this very basic analysis, because the Apple Silicon chips will probably have all kinds of other drawbacks and performance bottlenecks. However, the initial numbers work out that once the Apple chip passes about 91 cores, it’s unlikely but theoretically possible it will be ahead of the competition.

Meanwhile here’s some speculated chip layouts of the rumoured chips, based not on actual chip designs but the Apple keynote slides showing marketing material about the M1 chips.

I like the M1 logo as a crossover of the BMW M3 logo with the '80s apple color stripes.

3 Likes

Yeah that’s from the tshirt a podcast was selling based on the Apple silicon diagram. The podcast began as a car show with two of the three hosts owning BMWs, but turned into a tech podcast.

1 Like

I know @Apreche has been saying Steve Apple promised this like 12 years ago:

1 Like

This isn’t what he promised. He promised it would be open source, so we could all write Face Time clients of our own to run on whatever.

What we’re getting is just the ability to join a FaceTime on an Apple-hosted web site. The same way you click a link to join a Google Meet or a Zoom you got invited to.

Ah. Well, there’s always Apple Day next year.

Also Steve Jobs “promised” that by just ad libbing it on stage during a WWDC rehearsal, liking the sound of it, and then saying it during the presentation, never once asking the engineers who actually made the service! The first time they heard about it was during the live event, and had no plans, nor any way or path, to making it an open standard, considering it was based on proprietary licensed technology.

Do you have a source for this? It sounds very un-Jobs like. Those keynotes are famous for being meticulously prepared and rehearsed.

Not sure. It’s a story I heard five years ago about an event five years before that. I’ll do some googling later.

Chris Adamson:

Make no doubt about it, Apple very clearly said they were going to do this. Steve Jobs himself said so at WWDC 2010, around 1:36:45 on the video:

Now FaceTime is based on a lot of open standards: H.264 video, AAC audio, and a bunch of alphabet soup acronyms. And we’re going to take it all away. We’re going to the standards bodies, starting tomorrow, and we’re going to make FaceTime an open industry standard.

“Starting tomorrow”? Nearly a year later, there’s no indication this process has started. […]

For what it’s worth, the story I’ve heard is that the FaceTime team at Apple first heard about making it an open standard live during the WWDC keynote itself. So when Jobs said “starting tomorrow”, he meant it literally.

I probably heard the story on a tech podcast, which is why I’m coming up blank on finding an article about it.

2 Likes

Sept 14th is the iPhone 13 keynote. One week.

Today’s the day. Unlucky 13?

1 Like

I need a new Apple Watch. The battery is going on my Series 3.

I might have considered a new Apple Watch if I hadn’t broken the screen on the series 3 and gotten a free replacement. It’s still just series 3, but it still works and is brand new.

All I’m hoping for is AirPods Pro 2.0.

Well this is my second Series 3, as Juliane noticed a recall of my model due to a cracking screen, and we found a tiny maybe-scratch on mine, so I got a free replacement.

But even then, the battery capacity is dropping now. It didn’t last through a 5 hour bike ride on Sunday, and it used to be able to do that no problem.

Dang. Love the exposure the Pocket Queen is getting on this keynote. For once I actually know who the musician is.

Ha. I could buy a new replacement Series 3. Is this the oldest product Apple still sells?

Maybe the not-4K Apple TV is older?

Incremental upgrades for everybody!

1 Like