What TV Shows Are You Watching?

It’s so fucked up how American masculine culture has beaten crying out of me. :frowning:

2 Likes

This show is about beating American masculine culture out of men… so they can cry again.

4 Likes

God the one where the guy comes out to his stepmom had my wife and I bawling. Also Jonathan is best new Queer Eye team member.

1 Like

I haven’t watched Queer Eye for ages, so I don’t remember who is new or not.

Oh they’re all new, the old group all moved on to other things when the old show was cancelled. Most famously Ted moved on to work as a presenter for Food Network and host Chopped. This is a Netflix original reboot.

1 Like

They do have the blessing and support of the original cast, though. They did a brunch thing as a sort of trailer for the series, and it was very sweet.

About four years ago I watched through all of Breaking Bad… except for the last eight episodes. I stopped at the moment Hank finds the book of poetry in the bathroom. It felt like a natural pausing point, and I presumed I’d get back to it soon.

Four years later I finally watched the last eight episodes. What a show! It was fun to have so much time of a different ending, and then get the real ending as intended.

4 Likes

Quick update:
Designated Survivor: downgraded to completely unwatchable. It was popcorn fun for a while, but increased incredulity combined with unflinchingly propagandistic neo-colonialism is a real turn off.

New X-Files: completely unwatchable. Poor writing, preachy monologues. It’s worse than the last few seasons of the original show. Both Duchovny and Anderson deserve better.

I almost never put a show I have been watching into the completely unwatchable category, so.

Magicians, Counterpart, Legion: Highly recommended if you’re looking for a show.
Americans season premiere was also good, but a bit slow. Most of their premieres have been a little more high paced, this was much more character driven.

4 Likes

Does Magicians ramp up a lot after the first few episodes? I think I’ve seen like 5 and liked it but was kinda bored, so I don’t know whether to go back or not.

define ramp up. It’s character and plot driven, with a good pinch of humor, not very action driven.

1 Like

My sister told me about a British detective show called Unforgotten, which she said was excellent, and it appears to be finally airing in the US this Sunday. I’m pretty excited!

“There is a sense of melancholy about this story, befitting its subject. It shares some of the qualities that are often found in American cable dramas, like suspenseful investigations, inscrutable investigators, terrible secrets, and scenes run through with a sense of dread. But American cable dramas have tropes of their own: the tortured antihero, the disposable woman, the casual rape, the despair and hopelessness of everyone being miserable about everything always. In Unforgotten, you get a more measured look at people — one that’s more balanced and more varied. Its bleakness is tempered by hope. Not a lot, necessarily, and not for everyone. But somewhat, for some people. There is no escaping your sins, but there is at least chance at grace.”

1 Like

I read some more about Breaking Bad, and almost everyone thinks Walter dies at the end. As someone who was late to finish it, and missed all the discussion at the time… wtf? I’m pretty sure he didn’t die.

Uhh, He ends the series:

Summary

Bleeding out from bullet wounds in Jesse’s methroom as the cops come to storm the place. While his death isn’t outright shown, it’s heavily implied.

In further interviews with Vince Gilligan, he also refers to Walter as dead. For example, when asking which death affected him the most, he straight up says Walter’s death, and talks about how it was the most affecting death of the series to write. He did give a bit of a squirrelly answer further up when asked directly if Walt was dead, but he’s usually fairly unequivocal.

Also he had cancer.

The show ends with him walking around for 15 minutes before collapsing. That isn’t someone who will bleed out in the one minute between him collapsing as the police arrive, and the police finding him.

The final cut is when an officer reaches out to check his pulse. We aren’t shown the result of that check!

I think the show finishes then because it is the end of his story, not the end of his life.

Fair enough interpretation. I’m no doctor so I have no idea how walking around for a few minutes after a bullet wound to the torso affects prognosis but I can say I count myself as being in the camp of people thinking he died.

I remember Firefly telling me that the the minutes after a gutshot are critical to survival chance and this being tv I’d say it’s safe to say the laws of Hollywood apply.

That said, it’s possible this is one of those Shakespere things where the meaning is what ever the audience takes away. So believing the story is over but Walter isn’t dead is a perfectly reasonable way to view events.

I say I’m not going to try to figure out season 2 of Westworld, but I can’t help but think of several theories. They are seriously fucking with us and I love it.

1 Like

My girlfriend watches that show but also hates it due to that. I then ask her why she still watches it if she doesn’t like it overall and she tells me that she wants more sci-fi shows like the expanse and is supporting it to make more into the medium.

This week’s episode of Legion has a KILLER soundtrack with an excellent in-house cover of White Room.

2 Likes