What movie have you seen recently?

There’s a new spiderman movie? Where does it take place in the marvel universe timeline wise?

It’s not an MCU film. It’s an animated feature where a bunch of Spider-people from various universes (Peter Parker, Miles Morales, Spider-Gwen, Spider-Ham, etc.) team up.

2 Likes

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4Hbz2jLxvQ

1 Like

The 3D is deeply immersive and makes it feel even more like a comic book. It was breathtaking.

1 Like

I’m sold.

Hopefully I’ll be able to swing (see what I did there?!) another viewing this week while it’s still playing in 3D in an IMAX theater.

I’m actually giddy at the idea of seeing Spider-Man again. It really was that good.

I might go see it again just to see it in 3D again. God damn this movie.

2 Likes

Very important question: does it have at least one 60’s Spiderman meme joke?

Spoiler Alert

Yes.

I’ll be seeing it Tuesday night.

1 Like

+1 recommendation for SM: Spider-verse

There’s an end of movie stinger that’s hilarious.

Sony is thinking about a Silk movie now since they have some traction with Spider-verse.

1 Like

I’m going to try to go on X-Mas day before or after eating Chinese food. Gotta see my boy Miguel “asshole” O’Hara.

I may be wrong about this, but what I heard is that they were thinking of doing an all-female Spider-Man cast starring Spider-Gwen, Spider-Woman, and Silk.

It will be interested how’d that movie will work. There’s a graphic novel called Spider-Women that is that exact premise, but it relies a lot of the Spider-verse event comic.

1 Like

I don’t know, but after watching this movie, if they can keep this creative team, I will trust them with any movie they want to make. Heck, bring on a Spider-Ham movie!

So Lord and Miller make another really good animated action comedy movie? I’m shocked!

1 Like

100% Agree. It’s already pop art like from the style and use of color but the 3D makes everything has so much more dimension. Almost like you are watching a shadow box come to life. There’s nothing quite like it.

Also, it’s now like my #3 movie of the year. Rarely will I watch movies twice in a theater these days, but this movie really pushed. It’s phenomenal and I would dare say rivals Black Panther in terms of execution. Plot, character development, design, action, humor, and tearjerking moments all delivered incredibly well. Not just the best Spiderman movie now but probably one of the best superhero movies ever made.

So Lord and Miller make another really good animated action comedy movie? I’m shocked!

Lord/Miller produced it and Lord wrote on it, but it was done by a team of three separate directors. It has their touch for sure but the new crew really knocked it out of the park (and they all have an interesting history to them)

My friend worked on the matte painting for that movie (:

3 Likes

Fast & Furious 2009
★★★

A return to form after the garbage Tokyo Drift instalment. In fact, it would have been better to watch the opening action scene of this movie before Tokyo Drift, just to have any connection with the cross-over character in that one.

Some of the action in this movie is a mixture of too-low-stakes plus not-good-enough cgi. Which means that I’m just put off by the looks of the movie, and don’t care about the action. Main example: the first drive through the border tunnel. It just went on and on and looked totally unconvincing. All I could think was “I hope they are setting this up for something more interesting later” and yes, it was used again later, but then it felt like an inevitability.

But the characters were enjoyable again, which makes up for a lot.

Fast Five 2011
★★★★

The one in Rio de Janeiro. I’d heard this is where the series gets good… and it really does get good!

There is way less emphasis on car racing, and instead car chases and gun fights and parkour. Also most of the action revolves around a heist. And that’s a good thing, because in FF3 and FF4 there seemed to be a lack of clarity about what was going on and what people wanted.

The car physics is just on the right side of believable for the motivations and weight of the moment, so any fudging of CGI is acceptable.

The women get to do some cool things, though rarely manage to escape cameras looking at their butts.

Dwayne the Rock Johnson is a good addition to the cast, and while cast as an antagonist, I never believed for one minute he wouldn’t become a good guy.

“We’ll get to Tokyo eventually.”

1 Like

Fast & Furious 6 2013
★★½

The previous movie still had a connection to cars and street racing, not though the focus on those things specifically, but due to the characters being on the run, or at least down on their luck without much money or funding or resources. Getting cars to drive took skill and competition, etc.

By the time this sixth movie rolls round, they are all millionaires and are being funded by government agencies. Need cars? Just buy them. Easy. The plot is indistinguishable from a Mission Impossible movie. Now I’m a fan of Mission Impossible movies, so that shouldn’t be a bad thing. Except I liked this crew as the underdogs, the criminals, the street racers, and not as international agents of mystery.

There’s also a transition away from caring about human life and collateral damage. In the first movie? Only two or three deaths, like one of the crew and few henchmen, and they are all meaningful. The second movie? One henchman is very unlikely to survive being run over by a truck… and that’s it? Everyone else is knocked out or punched out or shot but survives. Third movie… one death, and it’s super important. Fourth movie? Makes sure we know everyone who dies is a drug criminal, or an innocent victim whose death matters. Fifth movie, the only deaths are again drug criminals and, as quoted in the movie “Every corrupt cop in the city is on your tail!” So right, we’re okay with some casualties here and there.

So here we are in movie six where random people are just being mown down by a tank. Not cops, not soldiers, not criminals or anyone else involved. Just random Spanish drivers and families and whoever. Squash! And at the end of that action sequence our heroes aren’t horrified by how many people have died, but cheering that they “won”. But what is winning when the whole situation was avoidable and was let out of your control? They knew what was going to go down, because it was a repeat of the SAME TRICK THEY PLAYED IN THE PREVIOUS MOVIE!

In a way I’m impressed with the story acrobatics needed to include characters who previously or later may or may not have died. The connections between characters seemed more logical than I thought it might be, so I’ll give them a pass. Turns out you really need to see Tokyo Drift right after this one, not in the order of release.

So it was fun to spend more time with the crew, and the action sequences were appropriately spectacular, but I much much much preferred to follow the underdogs, not the millionaires, and see them racing, not shooting.