What movie have you seen recently?

Yeah, still not sure how much of Iron Fist we’ll watch. We want to try it for a bit, if only to get a handle on the character heading into the Defenders series coming later this year.

There are maybe one or two fights that are worth getting to.

Or just watching. XD

Prometheus was fucking terrible. Sequel Alien: Covenant is not as terrible but still not good. More ostensibly smart people doing stupid things.

Do yourself a favor and just watch Alien instead.

Maybe this is why Alien has a quarantine protocol.

Just watched Logan. The violence doesn’t bother me but the lack of character and world development does. Where was the consequence of Logan and Xavier basically getting that black family killed? I was pretty emotionally dreading the consequences of the black father character coming home to find that his act of kindness being repaid with the death of his wife and son. Instead, Logan gets off cheap because he dies without saying a word and Logan doesn’t reference that matter again.

This could have fed into the villain’s argument that having no mutants is a good thing, that their existence brings pointless suffering wherever they go. This would fuel Logan’s angst and desire to commit suicide outside of events we didn’t get to see in this movie. The biggest problem this world is hardly different from 2017 when its supposed to be 2027. It didn’t seem like much had happened outside of self driving trucks and big ag putting anti-mutagens in corn subsidies.

I’m more in love with the idea of this movie than the actual movie itself. The look of movie and the contrast of a old haggard Wolverine with a young girl with pony sunglasses on a Western road trip makes for an amazing image. But the “daddy” and “family” moments in this movie aren’t earned. It was probably a mistake making Laura mute until that far into the movie. Laura and Logan needed more character interaction moments to cement their relationship. And it was probably a mistake to have so many children survive at the end. Eden probably shouldn’t have been so perfect with all of the kids arriving there safe and not dying before reaching Canada. If this was meant to be a parallel to the Underground Railroad, we probably needed to see more of how America had changed between 2017 to 2027 to make it be this way.

Okay, I’m done with Makoto Shinkai. I’ve watched 4 of his movies and they are all the same sentimental drivel that lacks any kind of substance. Placed Promised in Our Early Days, Voices of a Distance Star, 5 cm per Second, and now Your Name. Your Name is by far the most competent, and I’ll coincede that not a bad movie, but its still so shallow.

Fuck “mono no aware.” Fuck his fake juvenile romance. Fuck his awful, convenient, and cliche use of time travel and amnesia. Makoto Shinkai is the epitome of why Japan has a relationship crisis.

[quote=“fundefined, post:225, topic:73”]
Makoto Shinkai is the epitome of why Japan has a relationship crisis.
[/quote]I don’t buy the premise that Japan has a “relationship crisis.”

I don’t buy the premise that @fundefined has a heart made out of a non-stone material.

As mentioned previously, Prometheus is terrible. The problem with Alien: Covenant is that Ridley Scott is still hitched, sequel-wise to the stupidity of Prometheus…

…while trying to chain enough sequels to get to the start of Alien. He wants us to care where the ship full of xenomorph eggs came from.

He can’t make an interesting story, and he can’t have intelligent characters acting intelligently. The best he can do is repeat beats that were better done in Alien and Aliens and call them homage. He’s painted himself into a corner.

Looking back, I did a post saying “Every Best Animated Feature for This Year’s Oscars is good.” I was wrong. The Red Turtle is awful.

That has to be one of the most tedious, boring animated movies I’ve ever watched. There’s no point to this story other than to be a wordless meditation. It’s not really about nature because The Red Turtle herself has a desire to punish the man but then becomes a partner to the man without reasoning. I can understand minimalism to a certain point, but the movie chooses to be so barren that characters can’t even be animated to emote. There’s not enough of plot to be a reflection on nature and there’s no message so I couldn’t even call it a fable.

This movie is the definition of navelgazing and you can feel that this was made by someone who only made shorts films before hand.

Please, I’d contend that I have a heart made of little Pharaohs that won’t let the Israelites go.

The moral is that most of us think “Kickboxer” but remember “Bloodsport.”

I also shouldn’t think too closely about what is in Universal Soldier and what is in Time Cop.

Universal Soldier has batshit-insane Dolph Lungren vs Timecop’s Ron Silver as Evil Politician.

Damnit I meant I’m getting mixed up between Universal Soldier and Cyborg. One is the undead super soldier and the other is the part robot super soldier.

After recently re-watching my favorite movies ever, the Back to the Future trilogy, I had some thoughts about Biff Tannen and his family knocking around in my head. I started writing out a Facebook post about it, and it turned into a treatise of sorts. This all happened extemporaneously, so some of this may not be perfectly accurate.

The following is way too many words about the Tannen Family Tree:

Let us consider the bully, Biff Tannen, from the Back to the Future franchise. It seems as though he had family members across the timestream, always there to be a foil for the McFly family. Each of the Tannen family members that we meet seem to be singularly egotistical and self-centered. But the existence of the family tree, and the fact that they have settled in Hill Valley for over a century suggests some interesting nuances to the Tannens. Note: This exploration does not include any content that may have been covered in the Back to the Future cartoon, video game, comics, or Universal Studios Ride, as these are of questionable authenticity at best.

Biff Tannen is a teenager in 1955. We know that he lived with his grandmother at that time, which suggests that his parents are either dead-beat or dead. The one interaction we see involving Biff’s grandmother is when she gruffly yelled at him, asking where he was going on the morning of the Enchantment Under the Sea dance. Clearly Biff very likely picked up the gruff demeanor that is a hallmark of his family from his grandmother. Her attitude suggests that she barely tolerates him at best, and yet continues to provide him with a home while he works to complete high school.

Biff’s grandmother is referred to as an ‘old lady’ in 1955, and she has a grandson who is approximately 18 years old. This suggests that she is significantly older than 40 or 50 years old, likely closer to 70. But even if we are generous and assume that she is 60 years old in 1955, that would mean that she was born in 1895. Ten years after the events of Back to the Future Part 3. Thus, it seems likely that she is either the daughter of (or married the son of) Buford “Mad Dog” Tannen.

The sheer fact that the Tannen name carried through from one generation down means that Mad Dog did not have a child through a one night stand with a tavern barmaid in the Hill Valley Saloon, but that the mother of his child knew him well enough to opt to take on his name and pass it down to their child. The same goes for Biff’s grandmother and parents as well. With a family that is so very self-centered, it seems strange that they would produce stable family units.

This continues forwards to 2015, when Griff refers to Biff as ‘gramps.’ Clearly the family line continued in the same way - the family stayed together and continues to be antagonistic towards each other. What is surprising is that Biff was able to find someone to marry and pass on the family line. But we see that Biff had enough motivation and drive to opt not to drop out of high school and then go on to start his own business, which could be enough to attract a wife, likely someone with a similarly abrasive personality that could put up with him. Given that Biff is roughly George McFly’s age and Griff is roughly Marty Jr’s age, it stands to reason that Biff would have a child that is approximately Marty’s age too. This character is conspicuously absent from the films, as Marty is the only McFly that does not have a Tannen as an arch-rival. Marty’s rival is Douglas J. Needles. Perhaps Biff had a daughter, and she and Needles had a child out of wedlock before he went on to marry his wife Lauren and they had their two children together. Not having his father in the picture could explain why Griff is very familiar with his grandfather on the Tannen side, the same way Biff and his grandmother were close, yet at odds. Following this line of thought, the Tannens are once again the ones with the traditional family values, while Needles is the absentee father.

While the Tannens are unquestionably the villains of the Back to the Future franchise, for 6 generations the family has stayed together and passed on the family line in the same town in which they settled two centuries ago. When the history of Hill Valley is written, of course the McFlys will be noted as some of it’s most famous residents, given a bestselling author and his Grammy-Award winning son, but the Tannen Family is just as much a part of the bedrock of the community. The adversarial nature of the Tannens brings the people of Hill Valley together like nothing else.

And when it comes to his family, a Tannen will never make like a tree and get outta here.

Thank you, this made by morning!

I’m surprised no one has talked about it yet, but I saw Wonder Woman over the weekend. As a movie, I’d probably rate it a solid B or B+, and compare it favorably to the second tier Marvel movies. It’s no Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy, or Avengers. Wonder Woman as a character, and Gal Gadot’s portrayal of her gets an A+ from me. She was amazing. Charismatic, imposing, regal, competent, and without a hint of cheese-cakery. The Amazons in general were just awesome.

The movie wasn’t perfect, and there were some plot decisions I didn’t agree with, but it was good and will keep the DC Cinematic Universe alive and on life-support until their next round of movies come out.

I really enjoyed Wonder Woman. I had to go see it as my cousin plays Diana at age 12. I’m really proud of how well she’s done to not only be in a movie but to have it be one of the of best of the genre!

This is big because women leads and directors are under-represented in movies with common excuses being that they don’t make money but this movie counters that point.

Wonder Woman was a good film. I give it like an 8/10. My main complaints revolve around a personal dislike for excessive slow-mo action, and the final ending fight having to be an all-out brawl when the villain was set up as being more nuanced.