What movie have you seen recently?

Wasn’t a fan of Wonder Woman, its still stuck in Snyder-verse in terms of plotting, colors and editing. I wonder when DC will realize that actors throwing CGI at each other looks awful. You could get away from that 15 years ago but now that video games have basically caught up to movies in terms of fantasy based fight scenes, its very easy to see how ridiculous actors look. Maybe when DC finally has an interesting villain, they won’t have to resort to making the finale one big lightshow with no sense of tension.

Winter Soldier remains the best super hero movie for a variety of reasons but its fight scene choreography and editing is a huge reason. You really understood how Capt, Bucky and Black Widow were super soldiers by the way they moved and fought. Wonder Woman had the Attack of Clones problem where sometimes she’s moving as fast as a jet, other times she’s just a good gymnast. Proper power scaling is important to establishing tension because you understand their limits, and Wonder Woman fails to do that. Too many cuts during action scenes removes the “fuck, that’s cool” moments in this movie.

Overall, I liked Wonder Woman. It was far better than recent DC movie offerings, though not perfect. I found a lot of the post-Themyscira dialogue and character interactions disheartening, though. Not enough other women, men reacting to her as if they’ve never seen a beautiful woman and/or they can’t just interact with a woman without letting their boners do the talking, etc. It had some plot problems and the naive morality was simplistic to the point of childish, but the main character herself was so likable and compelling, the Amazons were so exciting and empowering, and the side character weren’t so annoying/horny that the film was solidly entertaining. Mostly, I left the theater hoping that a Wonder Woman sequel contained more women in the real world and that Etta Candy gets more screen time and development.

Apparently, Wonder Woman 2 takes place in modern times, so Etta Candy would be long dead.

Having seen Batman vs Superman and Suicide Squad, I can guess Wonder Woman could be far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far better than recent DC movie offerings and still be far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far from perfect.

Nooooooo! Etta is Wonder Woman’s best friend (and implied lover in the early comics). I hope that her granddaughter is in the film played by the same actress.

Spoilers Wonder Woman:

One more thing. One of most hilarious moments, intentional or not, is when Ares shows up as an old British man to gloat at Diana. Diana has this panicked look when she realizes that her sword is still stuck on the roof in the gut of a dead German general. The movie cuts to Chris Pine’s scene and then cuts back to Diana jumping down from the roof after retrieving her sword. That sequence is hilarious and belongs in a sitcom, you can imagine Ares looking at his watch and sighing as he waits for Wonder Woman to retrieve her sword. You could argue that Ares is in character since he knows the sword isn’t Godkiller but its still so tonally wrong.

As cliche as it is, one thing that could have helped the ending would be giving Ares a death monologue. Something like “You know why Zeus couldn’t kill me, Diana? It’s because as long as humans let greed and hatred into their hearts, I will always be there to lead them into war. I will return, Diana because they will me to.” And Diana can respond with some quippy one liner about how she’s be there to stop him with the power of love. Just a little cap end to acknowledge that more wars will happen and that Diana and the rest of Amazonians still have a job to do. Maybe you don’t have to bring Ares back physically but just have him be manifest in human hearts. Anything to make DC villains more interesting.

Robin Hood: Men in Tights. I had this on VHS when I was a teen, and I watched it over and over. Juliane had only seen the German version. Neither of us had seen it for about 15 years or so.

It still has funny moments, but a lot of the comedy is cringeworthy. However I remember a lot of the comedy being cringeworthy when I first watched it. Some of the music is genuinely excellent. Overall less offensive as I expected it to be, especially after watching other 80s and 90s movies and being disgusted I once enjoyed all the rape jokes.

I also got a few jokes that passed me by when younger, including a Rodney King reference when police are beating up a black guy.

Arrival. I saw it a few weeks ago, and again yesterday before discussing it with Juliane on the podcast.

http://www.sfbrp.com/archives/1274

I have issues with the story and some of the movie making decisions, but there is enough in there to enjoy and I cried three times before the credits rolled. Would recommend.

Arrival was one of my favorites last year! Even though it wasn’t perfect, it was refreshing to see a smart Hollywood sci-fi film where the protagonists all did the smart thing.

Baby Driver was everything I wanted it to be!

[quote=“RobotMitchell, post:250, topic:73, full:true”]
Baby Driver was everything I wanted it to be!
[/quote]Man, I was driving around fast to Golden earring in Aviators before it was cool. :frowning:

Nah, jokes aside, that movie is fucking great. Not without it’s problems, but definitely worth the time to watch.

Kedi
A documentary on the culture surrounding the street cats of Istanbul, Turkey.
The documentary highlights a few people who are able to open up on their interaction with street cats and how important they are to the general life of an Istanbul resident. The movie is shot in 4k and the down sampled 1080 is also amazing there is wallpaper quality images every few seconds, the photography was amazing.
The soundtrack was neat but a bit repetitive, didn’t really stand out all that much.
If you’ve ever owned or known a cat you’ll find some joy in this movie.

This is the best thing that Youtube Red has funded / paid / bought.

I really enjoyed the movie, and I agree with you that it was gorgeous, but there were times where I was watching it and I just wished they would stop showing random beautiful images of Istanbul and focus more on the cats, you know, the subject of the documentary.

It has an incredible score on Rotten Tomatoes, which boggles me. The trailer made it seem like a teenager wrote the script cobbling together his favorite tropes from action movies made in the past two decades. Did the trailer just make it look moronic or is this film simply not FOR me?

[quote=“Kate_Monster, post:254, topic:73, full:true”]
It has an incredible score on Rotten Tomatoes, which boggles me. The trailer made it seem like a teenager wrote the script cobbling together his favorite tropes from action movies made in the past two decades. Did the trailer just make it look moronic or is this film simply not FOR me.
[/quote]While I kinda liked the trailers - I thought they were cut for style, not substance, and they certainly oozed style - they don’t give the best representation of the movie. It’s like a heist and a musical got smashed together, and was then adopted by Hudson Hawk.

I can’t say if it’s for you, per se, I can’t say I know your tastes well enough to judge. I know that you’ll definitely get a little bit annoyed at some aspect of how they handled Deborah(Baby’s romantic interest). But it’s definitely not moronic as you seem to think.

Though wierdly, I did find out one thing - you’re closer in one part than I think you realized. Turns out, Edgar Wright had the initial idea for the film when he was 21, reportedly while listening to Bellbottoms by John Spencer blues explosion in his bedroom one night.

Oh, it’s a comedy? The trailer I saw took itself so seriously that it looked stupid beyond words. Okay. Now I can see the appeal.

[quote=“Kate_Monster, post:256, topic:73, full:true”]
Oh, it’s a comedy? The trailer I saw took itself so seriously that it looked stupid beyond words. Okay. Now I can see the appeal.
[/quote]Mmmm, I’d say it’s more like a funny action/heist film, than a comedy as such. Not that it’s not funny at times, but more that it’s just not the focus of the film.

Oh, then I still don’t see the appeal. It is likely just be me, but it seems ridiculous and not in a fun way.

If I didn’t know it was Edgar Wright, I also would have dismissed it from the trailer. It is very much taking classic heist movie tropes and putting them through a super stylized musical filter. Instead of everyone breaking out in dance, the action happens in time with the music; hopefully that helps convey the tone.

Like Churba, I also had some issues with how the love interest was handled, but over all it was concentrated fun.

[quote=“RobotMitchell, post:259, topic:73”]
If I didn’t know it was Edgar Wright, I also would have dismissed it from the trailer. It is very much taking classic heist movie tropes and putting them through a super stylized musical filter. Instead of everyone breaking out in dance, the action happens in time with the music; hopefully that helps convey the tone.
[/quote]Yeah, I think I messed up with the Hudson Hawk bit - I meant, in the sense of timing action along with music in a very overt way, rather than being a straight-out comedy.