Video Game News & Discussion 2.0

Amazon’s game studio would probably be way more successful if it was just an incubator funding 20 different small projects and seeing what sticks, finding some old properties to do remakes of, and just in general focused on quantity of quality; vs trying to just fucking cram in some large project that I literally cannot differentiate from whatever else is big right now. Nothing about Crucible looks like success at all. Nothing about it ever did. It always looked like the Amazon version of some knock-off Overwatch and if there ever was anything more to it then I missed the memo but so did a lot of people I bet.

1 Like

Truly sad, both IPs are such underappreciated gems in America.

Noooo. So sad. Should have made a Full Layton game for switch.

TL;DR: If you buy an XBox at a GameStop, a cut of the money spent on any digital purchases made on that XBox will go to GameStop.

This is really fascinating news, and kind of shocking that Microsoft would make this deal. It does give GameStop a strong incentive to promote XBoxes above the competition on their shelves. Expect them to get the most prominent display space in stores and on their web site. It also somewhat benevolently provides GameStop a much needed source or revenue to stay in business. I think it would probably hurt Microsoft a lot if all the GameStops just closed like Blockbuster did.

It does make me wonder if more deals like this will happen now. Will other retailers demand a cut of all digital sales on XBoxes they sell? Will similar deals be reached for the other consoles? What about other platforms? Will Verizon use this precedent to start demanding a cut of app sales on iPhones that they sell?

Although this particular deal is a relationship where the retailer is in a position of weakness, I think other deals are only likely to happen when the retailer is in a position of strength. They can threaten to remove the product from their shelves the way that cable provides remove channels to strong-arm deals.

I bet Microsoft is looking to turn all the GameStops into Microsoft/Xbox stores of some kind down the road.

Also don’t forget their partnership (noted earlier in the thread).

This whole thing reminds me a lot of how Verizon setup shop inside of Radio Shack and Sprint setup shop inside of Circuit City. Only one of the four companies in that sentence still exists.

1 Like

ScummVM and ResidualVM are merging.

1 Like

If this weren’t on Stadia and $20, I’d be all over it.

1 Like

stadia still exists?

It does! And I use it fairly often, it’s pretty nice.

It loads Destiny faster than my PC at home, and looks just as good.

I was tempted to buy baldur’s gate 3 on PC but seeing the install size stadia made more sense to me.

edit: It’s a demo and free until november, all you need to do is sign into stadia with your gmail account and play it. It doesn’t seem like that much of an ask.

1 Like

Its still getting out there, I’m sure google will give it 1-3 years to fail to become market dominant and then shelve it.

2 Likes

For the next week it’s a free demo. So you could try it.

1 Like

tl;dr: Cyberpunk 2077 has been pushed back to December 10, to make sure it’s ready for next gen consoles.

There are people who planned their vacations around the November date -I’m not gonna judge, as I just remembered that this year is a complete dumpster fire, and that yes, a well-adjusted adult might as well use their hard-earned vacation time playing vidya games, rather than visiting family and being called an irresponsible jackass.

So, basically, 21 more days of crunch, and a flimsy excuse. And for the curious - Yes, this time they DID actually tell the devs. They sent out an email at the exact same time as the tweet went up. So that still sucks, even if it’s an improvement.

I’m not sure who the audience is for the new Game & Watch: SMB.

1 Like

I think most people who buy it fall into a few categories.

1. Buy it and never open it.
  2. Buy it, open it, then heat up the soldering iron.
  3. All of the above.

I actually ordered one. I may fall into category 2, but I’m going to mostly see how well it functions as a little clock. It’s a game and watch after all.