Video Game Hype Thread

If I could give a recommendation for one of the nicer parts of the community, there’s a youtuber called “My Name is Byf”, who does lovely, well researched and well thought out deep dives into Destiny Lore, and is generally a sweet and thoughtful chap with a genuine love of the game that shines through in every one of his videos.

1 Like

I think maybe part of my positivity with D2 is that it was the first time I played destiny - I didn’t have any experience with the ways D1 sucked and then had to improve, I got to come to the game that had already learned all those lessons.

As for The Division, funnily enough, I spent about a hundred on that game, after finishing the base game and then buying the season pass because I wanted more of that, and then more of that never really came. The best thing they released was the PvE randomized mode in the train tunnels(hey, it’s a game set in New York, how can you not) even if it rapidly got stale due to lack of variety in missions/environments and the survival mode was okay. The Darkzone rapidly became just a shitfight of griefers and hackers, despite the clever concept, and became deeply not fun. The PvP modes they introduced sucked ass. The matchmaking was awful - I’d never find a game without waiting 15 minutes just to MAYBE get a match, and that only got worse as time went on and the playerbase dropped off.

Sorry, I kind of half-finished my point there - I didn’t really complete my point that they’re also the source of a lot of reasonable sounding(but often ultimately nonsense) complaints that make their way through the community, because they’re pulling the same old trick of “Semi-reasonable premise A, therefore all these people also support us on absolutely batshit complaint Y.”

Also, I don’t know if you’re keeping up with the news or caught the queen’s court on the appropriate week(I think last week?), but crazy shit just happened and I am fukken jazzed to see where it goes.

Anthem has been completely off my radar ever since I read that it was an always online mmo similar to Destiny. I preordered Destiny and two of the expansion packs, played the game for about a week or so, and never bothered playing it again, or trying the expansions when they were released. Destiny was the last game I will ever preorder.

I was hoping for a game similar to Borderlands 2, but more scifi and more epic. I was hoping for a multiplayer Mass Effect, an RPG that I could play with my friends, but instead I got an MMO shooter with no discernible plot and the same mission type over and over again. I will readily admit that from a gameplay perspective, Destiny feels amazing. But it’s not the type of game that I enjoy.

When Bungie/Activision basically gave away Destiny 2 for every system imaginable, I downloaded it for PC and tried it out. It feels just as good as the first one, maybe even better, but it’s still, at heart, a mmo FPS, something that I don’t really enjoy. I play it about once a week with some college buddies, but I doubt it will hold my attention for long or that I’ll even get to the Taken King content.

I’ve come to the conclusion that, with the rare exception, multiplayer FPS games just aren’t for me. It doesn’t matter how good they are, I just don’t enjoy them and am bored by them. Overwatch, Tribes, Quake, whatever are all “good” games, they’re just not games that I enjoy. If it’s a FPS that’s more of an adventure or exploration game with a strong single player experience, like Metroid Prime or Bioshock, I’ll enjoy it, but random FPS game without a strong story? I’ll pass. The only multiplayer FPS that wasn’t single player that I really enjoyed was Left 4 Dead, and that was probably because it was a cooperative mission-based FPS, rather than a competitive one. I loved the mission-based objectives of L4D and playing with my friends.

I love the world of Overwatch. I love the characters and aesthetics of Overwatch. I just don’t enjoy the game. If Blizzard released an Overwatch game where you pick a hero and actually had to go on a mission, a la L4D, I would probably buy that in a second. But random capture the flag missions? Deathmatch? No thanks. I’m especially tired of MMO aspects in games, of having to complete the same missions over and over and over again, just for better loot.

If Anthem is more like Destiny than Borderlands 2, I’m going to bounce off it hard and I probably won’t even bother picking it up. The death of the single player campaign, the requirement for multiplayer, and the chase for more revenue, loot boxes, and whatever else, has been a terrible trend in gaming, at least from my perspective.

Yeah, you might want to really wait on Anthem to see how it goes. It’s not an MMO FPS, but it’s definitely an MMO loot shooter.

1 Like

Steam is having a Giant Australian Developer sale right now, there’s some fucking good stuff.

Standouts include: Hollow Knight, Armello, Forts, Anti-chamber, Crawl, Submerged, Assault Android Cactus, Stone (Anthro stoner Noir), Gunbombers, Sickness, Party Golf, Rush, American Dream, Screencheat, Kingspray, Tomboys need love too, Need To Know, and many more.

Crawl is at a price that I will buy it and attempt to play it.

Apparently there’s this DotA thing called auto chess that is a big deal now. I think I’ll try it tomorrow.

I’m so ready for this game. To me Metro took the formula that made Half-Life great and kept that world alive. Glad we’re getting a third one. And chose this trailer since I gotta play it in the native tongue with subs, of course.

https://youtu.be/uyl9_iIEXvs

This is a game that has been in development for the past few years, but I didn’t know about until just now when one of the folks I support on Patreon started backing this game:

Bird Empire

To my knowledge, they haven’t launched a Kickstarter and are instead depending on Patreon to help with funds for their game. It would be nice if they received as much support as possible.

Bird sprites sounds fantastic.

Important for tomorrow

https://youtu.be/tjiHufVEc7g

But Resident Evil 2 remake is out soooo… ZOMBIES COMING UP THE HELL RIGHT NOW! SHOOT EM! GRAB YA SHOTGUN!

1 Like

As soon as the DRM is gone and the price goes down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFAknD_9U7c

5 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlGMsJgyORk
between this, Silksong, and the growing possibility of an actual Trump impeachment, 2019 is shaping up to be a good year

2 Likes

I kinda wanted to play Darkest Dungeon 1, but never got around to it. Maybe they’ll have a bundle where I can buy 2 and get 1 free.

if you enjoy X-Com it’s definitely worth picking up

https://youtu.be/U7MJljsoUSo

The original game jam version is still out there.

1 Like

Finally!

Shapes and Beats took long enough. I’m so glad this is coming for real.