Unpopular Opinions

Chronicles of Riddick (2004). 29%.
It’s got a crazy amount of quotable lines. Space epic. The fire world is great.

I bet this forum is into some weird biz. Show us what you got.

2 Likes

Only God Forgives

1 Like

I kind of like the direct-to-video Slap Shot sequels. (Slap Shot 2 is 0% critic and 35% audience, Slap Shot 3 doesn’t even have a critic rating and 25% audience). They are of course a far cry from the original, but they are also fun, schlocky comedies about my favorite sport. They’re not worth seeking out, but if you stumble across them and want a shitty american comedy without the requirement of a brain, they’re fun enough. Slap Shot 3 is the better one though IMHO, as it has a bit of a Mighty Ducks/“lets save the rec center” film.

My favorite horror movie of all time, oddly enough, qualifies. The Strangers

Unlike most horror movies, I found this one to be exceedingly plausible.

Constantine

4 Likes

Constantine is pretty good, not a great “Hellblazer” adaption but a good movie :-p

1 Like

Not post 2000 but I genuinely like Water World.

1 Like

To be fair, without Chronicles of Riddick, we would not have the greatest copypasta ever:

Summary

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A VHS INTO THE SLOT. IT’S CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, RIDDICK. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME NECRO BASTARDS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY ESCAPED THE GALAXYS MOST DANGEROUS PRISON. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY COLLEGE CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN COLLEGE CLASS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNIng

Ghost Rider, probably not fair because it hits so many buttons for me, I loved the comic as a youngin’, I love Nick Cage and his over the top acting, it’s just good! I even bought the bluray!

edit: Nick Cage might be a gold mine here, other films of his that fit this criteria are
8MM, Gone in 60 Seconds, Windtalkers, Next, National Treasure (i guess this is a so bad it’s good one), The Sorcerer’s Apprentice, he was also a producer on The Life of David Gale, which I also loved.

1 Like

The real question is, do you like the SECOND Ghost Rider movie :-p

Yup, it’s got Ghost Rider, it’s got Nick Cage, it’s an auto like for me.

BRING ON THE HATE GUYS BRING IT!

I personally like the second one better than the first. They let Nic Cage go full cage in the second one.

Oh man, Bruce Willis is also a gold mine for this
The Story of Us (this literally gets me teary eyed), Tears of the Sun, The Whole Nine Yards, The Whole Ten Yards, Surrogates, The Expendables, man.

I don’t watch a lot of bad movies from the modern era, and as a result every movie I tend to like is also very highly regarded.

I have a lot of (Waterworld) examples from earlier eras. Even The 13th Warrior is from 1999 and doesn’t count.

Crap.

Boondock Saints was 1999
Suicide Kings was 1997
The Thirteenth Floor was 1999
The Thirteenth Warrior was 1999

I don’t think I’ve liked a movie that was unpopular since the late 90s.

More to the point, was 1999 just a magic year of movies Rym likes but noone else does?

Most of my unpopular opinions are disliking things that other people like. I can’t think of too many cases where I like something that a large number of people actively dislike.

Redline is rated 50% on Rotten tomatoes but that would be the closest :-p

Redline is a god damned masterpiece of cinema.

But it’s at 50, not below it. And frankly, if it had a wider release I think more people would have discovered and enjoyed it.

Yea looking at the 48% and under films, they are either before 2000, or I wouldn’t go to bat for them even if I personally enjoyed them ;-p it’s amazing how many Jim Carrey movies get a 46-48% on the Rotten tomatoes meter scanning the list.