UK Political Clusterfuck 2017

I moved to Birmingham 4 and a half years ago. And where I lived the MP was Labour’s Jack Dromy. I’ve moved house about 20 minutes away and now my MP is Conservative Caroline Spelman.

The two of them worked together to table an amendment to prevent a no deal Brexit. It got cross party support and passed. That’s how you do it!

I don’t know all the ins and outs but that, along with the court ruling saying that article 50 can be revoked without permission means that the only options are May’s deal mark II (if she can get it through Europe) and remaining.

So the UK is pretty much fucked at this point.

There doesn’t seem to be any sign that there will be an extension/ reversal of art. 50. No sign of a vote on the deal. No customs union, no FOM.

I’ve lived in London my entire life, it’s changed so much since the vote, at this point if I could move to Berlin to live, I would.

There needs to be some better news…

The need for comic relief is strong.

https://twitter.com/chrismorrisbits/status/1094129384645107712?s=19

At this point there’s going to be another global recession and it’s going to be because of idiots elected to office self-inflicting wounds to the economy.

1 Like

And the cold war approaches its true end due solely to a series of own-goals.

1 Like

It’s not hard to get someone to score own goals if they think the game was over a long time ago.

It’s even less hard when you pay them to score own goals, which may well be the case here.

Well today’s the big day. May’s got something but no one know’s what it is yet, and they’ll vote on it tonight.

I reckon some detail will majorly discredit it today as the politicians and media read it.

Thank Satan the Brexit deal failed again.

There seem to be only three options now:

• Ask the EU to agree to delay everything while the UK sorts this out (again)
  • Hard Brexit
  • No Brexit

Dunno if I’ve made it known here yet but my call, (based on a stereotype) is that they’re gonna go Hard Brexit in the end and ‘whether the storm’ and flex those ‘stiff upper lips’ of theirs.

'least that’s how it’ll be marketed when they go through with it.

I think a very real possibility is a delay from the EU and a second referendum.

I bet the referendum narrowly chooses Remain, and that this ends (for now) this ridiculous Russian psy-op.

1 Like

The next vote will be for whether to just have the no deal Brexit but that’s going to fail. The vote after that is whether to delay or not and if not then it’s the no deal Brexit.

That looks like the same vote twice but that second one is the terrifying one.

I know this will hurt a lot of real people, but I feel that it is in everyone’s best interests for the world to see the UK humbled by a hard brexit. It’ll be good for the EU because it’ll show the member countries that leaving will be really painful.

Like, you think things are shite now Greece, but if the UK can’t weather leaving, what chance do you have?

I am also sure that after 4 or 5 years of Brexit the UK will come crying back to the EU and be forced to properly join them, rather than being able to be all high and mighty about their preferred deal.

Shit that was a close vote. With a margin like that they won’t extend it.

Why the fuck was that even a close call?

The UK has long been a stupid place full of the most stupid that has ever stuped.

Um excuse me, I’m an American and American Exceptionalism demands that I claim the “Dumbest Motherfuckers Alive” belt.

I mean don’t get me wrong, Brexit is roughly the dumbest thing I can see a non-American doing. Like, this is full-on average American redneck levels of stupidity right here, but it still doesn’t touch our peak stupid.

5 Likes

I see you have never encountered the South Sea Company. And the lottery that funded the English government.

It’s kind of amazing how this all went down. Brexit is positively sane in comparison to this.

5 Likes

This probably has a lot to do with it.