This is Google

But there is no control with copyright, you’re just not allowed to copy the text.

Patents don’t just stop someone using the code, they stop someone accomplishing the same task even with all-new code.

Also this is currently the case?

Yes major media companies lobbied that copyright on for-hire work was longer.

Remember the Google v. Oracle case from a long time ago?

Um. Yeah…

Here’s a good dive into the whole thing.

In addition to the above, YouTube is also expanding monetization to allow for adult themes that are delivered through humor – for example, romance or dating jokes – as well as allowing the use of *“moderate profanity (e.g., shit and b**ch)”* in the first 30 seconds of a video.

Seems like a really great app, but you know Google will shut it down next week.

1 Like

“Stack is only available on Android devices and can only be installed using a personal Gmail account, not a Google Workplace (formerly called G Suite) account.”

There’s no desktop version best I can tell. I can’t imagine ever wanting to do anything like that on a device that is not an actual computer…

To be fair, you’re more likely to go out and buy a proper scanner to do something like this; this is probably targeted more at “My Android is my only device.” people.

I feel like that choice is similar to google’s new version of gpay, where it’s basically phone only. I am under the impression that the new gpay came out of google india and since most people there only have cell phones there is no desktop system.

It’s not the scanning part of this app that is useful. I can scan documents with a real scanner and Adobe Acrobat all day long. It’s the automatic organization of those documents that is useful and superior to just organizing them into folders on a file system, or having to manually rename them, tag them, etc.

Yeah. One day I sat down with a scanner and every important piece of paper I owned.

Adobe Acrobat (the real version: not reader) is fantastic at bulk-scanning documents. Scanned them all, shredded the ones I didn’t need anymore, kept a tiny handful where the original was important (e.g., birth certificate, social security card).

But I had to organize them into folders and name them meaningfully.

1 Like

Here’s what I don’t trust.

1. That this app will continue to exist in the future
  2. That it would in any way actually be better for my long term document storage, where I don’t want to use a PHONE for that and don’t trust Google to exist forever as it does today.

So all my scanned documents are backed up on a few clouds, and also on my NAS.

3 Likes

I have built an app that is sort of the desktop version of this thing, minus the organization. Just search.

Not only is this a story about not trusting Google to not shut something down, but also a story about how HTPC is the way to be. Imagine if you were actually using that app on a Roku or a Smart TV, and now the app is gone. Could happen to any of the apps on there.

I think more interesting is this interesting interaction with how tech giants do their biz.

So like, google play movies and TV are both preinstalled on many (all?) android installations, and they cannot be removed without a jailbreak. Now they’re being shut down, I’m more or less 100% sure those apps are going to remain right where they are on millions of phones, non functional and unremovable.

I think, looking at the article and actually living in the Google-space, it’s also an interesting picture of just how muddled a project Google is.

They aren’t cutting off an entire service, like Reader of G+ going away; instead, they’re trying to consolidate as much of their efforts in video and music under the Youtube banner. It’s both the question of why do something like that, and why rebrand your TV and Movie access tools a dozen different times. Roku, most smart TVs, have Youtube already. It’s just one less application; which seems to make some sense.

It seems like they don’t know what they actually want to be doing with this area, which makes sense when you look at the core fact that this is an advertising company that struck it big with people uploading cat videos (simplification, but it makes my point).

Play music if you open it immediately tells you its discontinued and asks if you want to transition your metadata over to youtube music. Not that I’m saying this is great/advocating for it but they do have a process that doesnt require you to be very knowledgeable about the app store or apps in general.