This is Google

They will fail! As they are thrown to the ground!

ahhhhhhhhhhhh yeahhhh

I donā€™t think youtube has failed to compete with Twitch, both YoutubeGaming and Facebook streaming continue to grow and chip away at Twitchā€™s market share (which is still a majority thanks to first move advantage) and both have a way to actually monetize the service efficently via their existing ad networks in a way twitch does not.

What Iā€™m seeing is that different games and different communities gather on particular platforms.

For example, this is twitch right now:

And this is YouTube right now.

Thereā€™s a lot going on here just from this one snapshot of data. Minecraft has a big presence on YouTube relative to other games. Itā€™s not the biggest game on Twitch, but itā€™s still has more total viewers on Twitch than on YouTube.

Pokemon Black and White? Whatā€™s that doing there? I checked. Itā€™s exactly one Japanese streamer I never heard of who is apparently very popular. YouTube live gaming is still so small such that one popular person streaming a game will move that game into the top 5.

Itā€™s not in the screenshot, but music is big on Twitch because you canā€™t get away with that on YouTube.

Among Us does appear to actually be bigger on YouTube than on Twitch. 38K current YouTube viewers for it vs 6K for Twitch.

Of course this would have to be tracked over time because time zones and which games are popular in which geographical areas is going to heavily influence the numbers we see at any given moment in time.

I think the most important thing to remember is that no matter which platform has the grip on the live stream, YouTube owns in the VOD department. There is no question that more people are watching recorded videos on YouTube than probably all the live streaming combined. And all the major live streamers record their streams and at least post the highlights to YouTube if not the full recordings. There is no competitor for YouTube in this department except in the countries where YouTube is not #1.

1 Like

Totally agree, A big part of being a success/growing a channel on twitch in the last few years is leveraging additional platforms with actual discoverability like Youtube and Instagram (or cross streaming on YoutubeGaming or Facebook if you arenā€™t bound by a twitch partnership contract).

YouTube Gaming shut down nearly two years ago.
As for Facebookā€¦ Is anyone really using it to stream games? They acquired Mixer from Microsoft after that failed to compete with Twitch. Iā€™m not sure how Facebook Gaming is doing nowadays.

This is true, but many people still live stream game and other things, like podcasts, on YouTube. Itā€™s just not a separate app or page from regular old YouTube.

Weirdly, yes. Some of the biggest facebook gaming streamers are making numbers that easily put them among the top ten twitch streamers. And, a number of them are people who left twitch and got better followings on facebook.

Iā€™ll admit I rarely watch anything on Twitch. Iā€™m too busy to catch actual livestreams most of the time, so I tend to watch VODs exclusively.

Hence, Iā€™m on youtube for 90% of any stream-related content I follow.

Twitch is currently ahead in the war against uBlock, so Iā€™m watching it less these days.

1 Like

Itā€™s getting worse!

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-02-19/google-fires-researcher-meg-mitchell-escalating-ai-saga

When I say youtube gaming, I mean youtube gaming videos and people live streaming, not the Brand/vertical they had.

Googleā€™s search API costs $5 per thousand queries.

I wonder if that is ballpark how much it costs them to offer search?

I wonder how many things I Google a day.

One of those things Iā€™ve always known, but didnā€™t really think about. Once someone point it out, it makes perfect sense.

3 Likes

SCOTUS ruled 6-2 in favor of the obviously correct side in Google v Oracle.

Held: Googleā€™s copying of the Java SE API, which included only those lines of code that were needed to allow programmers to put their ac- crued talents to work in a new and transformative program, was a fair use of that material as a matter of law.

1 Like

I hope we can finally put this whole thing behind us.

Can we also make it so all software is copyrighted but not patented?

1 Like

Are you sure you want all software to be controlled by the person who wrote it for their lifetimes + 95 years rather than the 14ish years a patent could cover it?