This is Google

For what it’s worth they’ve rolled that content into both the normal Youtube and YoutubeTV apps.

Except…

That still leaves the normal Youtube App. Not defending them, just saying that your initial read was incorrect in details but not in spirit.

YouTube TV is a distinct a separate service from YouTube. Someone who paid for YouTube TV and used a Roku, now has to go out and get another device or cancel their YouTube TV service, unless the two parties reach an agreement. If they had used an HTPC they would never have to worry about any of this nonsense.

Yes but the article you originally linked in the initial post was about Play Movies and TV.

And we cycle back again to the point that in price comparisons, you could buy one of these streaming devices every six months and still come out ahead versus the minimum cost HTPC you quoted at me over a six-year lifetime.

Sure. But as part of the price of the HTPC you get to illegally stream literally everything with no ads and play every emulatable video game ever, and so on. As Rym pointed out, some of these dedicated YouTube apps on various devices won’t even let you watch all the videos that exist on YouTube.

How many different devices and services will you have to pay for to equal that? Infinity, because even if you subscribe to every legal service and have every device you still won’t have access to more than a small fraction of the things available with just a regular old computer that can browse the entire web freely.

And if you don’t care about playing games you can do it with a Mac mini. The cheapest new one at $700 will more than get the job done. Older ones will also be very sufficient and can be had for < $400.

An HTPC will last 10-15 years. Maybe more with one built now. The one I built for ~$600 has been running fine since 2009.

None of those dedicated streaming devices block ads either :wink:

HTPC is definitely a good way to go. I will say I am happy with my cheap firetv currently. I stepped through the hoops of downloading a downloader app, getting the steam link apk, and installing it on the firetv and that lets me just use my PC upstairs remotely from the TV room (it’s all wired on the same gigabit network).

Another factor that is often forgotten here is how easy it is to get a cheap/free computer that is more than capable of being an HTPC.

PCs that most people would consider e-waste often work just fine. Crappy old laptop is a very good HTPC in a pinch.

Depends on where you work. If you work in a small company, you’re reusing and recycling computers in active service until they spark and fall over.

I know this place is filled with tech professions, but so many assumptions are baked into your perspectives, it’s almost “assume a spherical cow”-level of examining a problem.

Here you go. A perfectly serviceable HTPC for $200. Just sitting there on Newegg.

https://www.newegg.com/black-silver-dell-latitude-e7240-mainstream/p/1TS-000A-05VT1

I’m not talking about work. I’m talking about out in the regular world. Half the people I know have an old computer that they want to recycle or throw away. Even a bunch of non-technical people.

In the long run, that dries up, as most homes won’t have any computers and the technology landscape shifts somewhat dramatically. But right now, a huge number of people have an old computer they don’t use much anymore, or will soon not be using much anymore.

I am a paid IT professional with plenty of BYOPC and software experience, a currently unused older but still serviceable PC and experience with home theater setups. I’ve thought about setting up an HTPC but ultimately the additional friction vs just having a chrome-cast dongle off a TV never makes it worth it for me (I don’t pirate media).

If I can’t be bothered with it I imagine many people without the same skills, money, or computer access wouldn’t either and will want to just use a low friction option like a roku.

1 Like

I personally have a server for my needs, but if you want another option…

1 Like
1 Like

Sure, I believe that.