This is Google

Will they get fired?

Stadia, LOL RIP

3 Likes

The thread that he links to has some choice comments:

“The Stadia will be more dead on arrival than the Ouya”

“This thing is going to reach Juicero levels of failure just watch.”

The moment I truly Knew Stadia would fail came before that, when I heard a person from google working with Stadia said, when questioned about Bandwidth and data caps, said “Hey, at some point you just gotta say, I need to keep up if I want to play these latest entertainment products.”

Oh yeah, buddy, don’t mind me, I’ll be right back, just gotta drop a cool 45 billion dollars on upgrading the national internet infrastructure, should be done by lunchtime.

Holy fuck!! WoW! Man that feels like so long ago now.

You think that’s baffling, the company was founded in 2013, and nobody at any point between then and when the product released in 2016 stopped them and went “Yo dudes this is real dumb.”

1 Like

The value you get from the game on Stadia means you can play it on any screen in your life - TV, PC, laptop, tablet, phone… I think that is going to be valuable to players

this asshole uses computers right? What market are they looking for with this shit? Hardcore gamers that are rich enough to afford a subscription service plus full price games but not consoles/computers to play them?

I had to go back and explore this beast. :rofl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Cp-BGQfpHQ

1 Like

“got some gravity to her” is a phrase I’m gonna start using

1 Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_Nvk3C79sM

I don’t think Juicero was a nobody thought this was over-engineered and over-priced. I just think that as a valley startup you legitimately need a sexy hook for that VC funding so over-engineered juice presser and of course really expensive subscription system for the pouches because “peak-subscription” was and still is in vogue.

Theres a slim niche of I own a decentish computer or a nice TV, but do not want to invest 500 dollars into PC upgrades or a console for a proper gaming machine so I’ll just buy this streaming device sub instead. I think its an incredibly small niche of people and a terrible vision to launch a product on.

I kind of agree, but surely, someone should have stepped in an asked if it was needed to overbuild it to such a degree. Like, that thing is a machinists dream, sure, but you could make those press-faces with a sandcast or wax investment, and just machine the front, side, and operating surfaces. Or you could use cast gears rather than machined gears. Or use more, but cheaper screws to produce your clamping load rather than fewer, precision machined and very beefy threaded bars. Even with the obvious plan of using the Gillette sales model, surely someone would have at least thought to go “Yeah, we’re losing money with each unit, but couldn’t we lose less money with each unit?” Sure, it’s sexy as hell for the VC investors, but like nobody’s ever pulled a bait and switch on product quality on those assholes before.

1 Like

Man, I think just by the time this came about everyone was drinking the cool-aid and taking their money and running if they did consultation services or a true-believer if they were an employee looking to have their stock options vest in a big way if they somehow became the Apple of home juicing.

For all we know that guy did speak up and like the webcomic meme got tossed out the proverbial window for his contrarian, commonsense idea of maybe not making the rolls-royce of juicers.

What about parents of kids? They’re options are spend $500 on a console, games, and a monthly sub to the console’s online service, or the monthly sub for stadia + games? That’s would be a pretty easy thing to decide.

Yeah, like there is a market, I just think its not really that big of a market. Also said parents might not have unlimited internet and thus see a uptick in their ISP costs and decide its not a price saving measure after all. Honestly though subscription AND Full price games seems like a dealbreaker for oh so many people who might have just tried it for the lulz if it was only a subscription service.

Google is positioned as a company to actually make this pretty technically doable if they just went with it as a growth/loss-leading play a la netflix streaming for gaming. However they don’t want to seem to do that which to me only increases doubts about this still being a service 5ish years down the road.

IIRC google did say there is a free tier of their service, but you can only stream at a max of 1080p and stereo sound, I am unsure what people are going to do with out 4k and dolby surround but maybe they’ll be able to get by.

This is like the “Good Idea, Bad Idea” bit from Animaniacs.

EDIT: Read the rest of the thread, the phrasing of the first tweet made it sound like it automatically snips the claimed content from the video which is not the case so actually, Good Idea, Good Idea.