Things of Your Day

Ohio Issue 1 on amendment for abortion rights passes
Ohio Issue 2 to legalize recreational marijuana passes

6 Likes

I ate at this place over a decade ago, hands down best BBQ I had in the Atlanta. Cool to see they are still in business.

2 Likes

Oh dang, it’ Lee Jiyeon from The Grace. Lina (South Korean singer) - Wikipedia

She’s younger than me, but that group ended in 2010, before I even knew a KPop from a JPop. Very old school.

Less than an hour until Desert Bus.

1 Like

Oh fuck yeah Heirloom is great. I had friends that lived in the complex adjacent to it, so weekends in my twenties involved a lot of heirloom and game nights there.

My one criticism is that their banana pudding is not great, but ymmv on that depending on how soupy you think pudding should be haha.

1 Like
2 Likes

https://nacvgm.org/cfp2024/

1 Like

I think my favorite memory of Philly is the year before the pandemic, when my wife and I were going to a dark wave con in NJ and we stopped for a couple nights in Philly to visit friends of hers from grad school (which also got us a behind the scenes tour of the free library, which is amazing, and the Mutter museum, which is also rad).

We had had a lovely couple of days and were waiting for the lights to change at an intersection so we could cross the street and I said to my wife “it’s funny, you see how Philly is in movies or tv or whatever, but I don’t think it’s so bad or rough” and as soon as I said that, with perfect comedic timing, a series of events occurred: a lady across the way decided to jaywalk; this caused the grandma in a cutlass with the windows down (cigar hanging out the side of her mouth) to slam on the brakes and yell out the window “WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOIN’ YER GONNA COS A GOTDAMN ACCIDENT”; to which the lady responded by walking around to the open window of the grandma and getting into a yelling match with her (traffic is still going, mind you, because the light had not changed).

So my wife sees what’s happening, looks at me, looks back at the scene, looks back at me. “You were saying?”

The anecdata is skewed cos it’s the only time I’ve been, but Philly didn’t disappoint lol

Skip to 23:06 for the boat launch and sea shanty.

2 Likes

I’ve just spent two days in America and everything is driving me crazy already. Maybe Philly is a breath of fresh air but I’m not sure it can outweigh the overwhelming Anericanness. I’ll visit one day to see.

2 Likes

Winamp visualizer IRL

1 Like

“Boss, what should we put on the cover of this month’s catalog?”
“I’ve got just the ticket”

From

From

Cabel Sasser is a founder of Panic, who you may remember from such hits as Untitled Goose Game, Firewatch, and the Playdate.

2 Likes

Episode 2 just dropped

Apparently this was announced two weeks ago, but I only found out today that the opening for Scott Pilgrim Takes Off is by one of my favorite bands: Necry Talkie

1 Like
1 Like
2 Likes

The Cookie Monster cookie recipe.

The recipe, roughly: Pancake mix, puffed rice, Grape-Nuts and instant coffee, with water in the mixture. The chocolate chips are made using hot glue sticks — essentially colored gobs of glue.

The cookies do not have oils, fats or sugars. Those would stain Cookie Monster. They’re edible, but barely.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/27/arts/television/cookie-monster-cookies.html?unlocked_article_code=1.Bk0.h6iU.Wh6MHPSwXJ0W

5 Likes

Echoes of brick[bricksmash]smash:

The original Bricksmash was a TotD a decade ago. It was a flash game, so good luck playing it now :face_with_diagonal_mouth: