Things of Your Day

Good geoguesser content

957K Likes, 3,028 Comments - rainbolt (@georainbolt) on Instagram: "no it’s not. #geography #travel #travel"

Is that the one with the low clearance that trucks keep hitting?

No, that’s in North Carolina.

Took me some Google Fu to find out what this is, but I think the location Luke posted is the overpass underneath which Rick Astley dances in the Never Gonna Give you Up video.

At the very least the location is in London, England (as partially indicated by the “0° W” location).

1 Like

Good find. I was too lazy to lookup the GPS coordinates.

I posted a link to an Instagram video, but it seems the forum embed just showed a still image. Sorry about that.

No it’s not

Warning nostalgia levels are high in this video.

Great video to explain the general appearance of 5 over 1s to normies

1 Like

No it’s not , another

618K Likes, 2,499 Comments - rainbolt (@georainbolt) on Instagram: "we will take it. w/ unox. #geography #travel #travelgram"

2 Likes

Ok, these are pretty great. I wonder how many it will take before they get old. Hasn’t happened yet! I want to see another one.

In honor of the 50th anniversary of Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon, NPR interviewed a psychologist about the lyrics and explained some possible interpretations of them.

As someone who isn’t too deep into Pink Floyd, I found the interview to be very interesting and informative:

Wow. I just saw Polyphonic’s video celebrating this album’s anniversary…then saw your post. lol

So this is a technology that we’re all probably somewhat familiar with at least the sight of, if not the underlying physics, but may not have spent much time looking very closely at.

VFD:

Definitely worth putting on 4k IMO.

This suddenly gives a whole different level of appreciation for these things. I feel like I took this stuff for granted growing up.

5 Likes

That’s a pretty relaxing video.
It reminds me of the short movies I was shown in science class in the 90s.

1 Like

Let me counter:

Short Version: They made a rotoscope AI, stole a bunch of art from actually talented animators to train it on, and are selling that as a “disruption” to animation even though the result is bad and animation needs better pay for real human labor instead of a shitty attempt at replacing people with capital. When a headline is in the form of a question, the answer is always “NO!”

Longer Version:

3 Likes

I am copying my comment from elsewhere, but re: Their “Democratizing” making animation - They also didn’t do that.

Even aside from the fact they’ve just made rotoscoping with extra steps, they’re just trading all that time to become a decent animator with all the time required to become a skilled enough VFX artist to implement this technique.

To the majority of people, what they’ve done is no less opaque and out of reach than learning to draw well enough to make an animated work using rotoscoping. I mean, these guys are absolute and consummate professionals, experienced with the tools at hand, and it still took them months and months of work tweaking, tuning, adjusting, compositing, and in some cases hand-animating, so on just to get the pretty ropey looking end product they had to show(amusingly, still showing the most common problem with AI works, fucked up hands, even in the thumbnail) - so how could this ever be a democratization in the manner described?

4 Likes

I already knew the answer was no, I just thought the process was interesting.

They brotoscoped it.

1 Like

The Corridor Crew isn’t exactly doing anything new, and I’m not big on how they are trying to make what they did into something it isn’t, but I get that they see their platform as an opportunity to try and push this ball a little further down the road and it makes them feel like it should be important.

As far as it goes it is an indicator that stuff like this WILL change animation, and filmmaking, and storytelling, forever. That die is already cast. Today they need a lot of work to figure this out and make it viable. In a few years the tools will be doing all that work automatically once the methods are more or less solved. And the fingers will get good, and the guns, and the backgrounds, the rest of it.

The critique video pointing out that the big media companies will have the resources to train their own AI with their own IP and all that, is a good point. It’s exactly what I think will take over soon. But animators and artists and actors and so-on who want to still have an output outside that system will probably need to still embrace working with this technology and putting their work into the training pool of AI networks and animation tools that are made to be open but ethical with sourcing and attribution.

And not to turn this into the AI thread but ultimately I see the integration of AI as changing the whole meta of storytelling, the whole way we think of it, to the point that most studios are not going to be telling linear animated stories in any sort of traditional sense anyway.

I agree. And they are right in one aspect, rotoscoping is likely one area that is currently labor-intensive, and will likely get a LOT easier in the future, when they - general they, not corridor - figure it out(and hopefully, figure out how to do these things without having to misappropriate vast amounts of other people’s IPs and works.)

1 Like