Things of Your Day

Not really. It’s more that it breaks down by mountain. People who live near or ski at more advanced US mountains are probably equally skilled to your Swiss benchmark.

The dangerous mountains aren’t the crazy ones: they’re the tiny crappy ones. Beginner mountains have huge crowds of beginner skiers crashing into eachother, taking stupid risks without the requisite skills, etc…

Hunter, the smallest and crappiest mountain I’m really willing to ski at, has a cavalcade of injuries daily. It’s almost entirely people who don’t ski often and have few skills hurting themselves. Scrubs who aren’t actually learning how to ski so much as just going down the mountain over and over again. People who only ski once a year, but because they’ve been “doing it for 10 years” they think they can handle a black diamond and really hurt themselves.

More advanced mountains have a larger barrier to entry. Scrubs don’t avail themselves of advanced terrain, so they don’t waste the time and money to go to a real mountain. To someone who has mediocre skiing skills, Hunter is equal to Loon or Breton Woods. So a place like Hunter attracts a sea of scrubs, akin to bronze and low-silver tiers in Overwatch.

Which is a damn shame. Snowboarding has a much steeper learning curve to get competent, and then a loooong plateau.

People who start on boarding tend to never get better than blue terrain. It’s difficult and largely not fun to board on advanced terrain, so they end up going toward terrain parks and tricks instead. This is much more likely to lead to injury.

US Snowboarders are indeed terrible. At every mountain I visit, boarders are almost entirely beginners, who I suspect give up the hobby after a few years rather than getting better. I almost never see a snowboard on black or double-black terrain. But they’re the majority on the easy blues and in the terrain parks.

There seems to be a culture of snowboarders who learn enough to do a few runs, and then mostly just drink and hang out on and around the mountain. They never get better.

1 Like

I mean, isn’t that the stereotype of some skiiers as well?

Ok, honestly didn’t see it coming, I’ve been gotten.

https://youtu.be/In5wuRta-Lc

This program allows you to split a song into it’s parts, such as vocals and accompaniment or vocals, bass, drums, and other instruments. It was posted to HN recently, and it’s proven fun to play with. It works surprisingly well on a variety of genres.

To the surprise of almost no one, when you work less, you’re actually more productive:

“The test run, which took place in August and gave employees five consecutive Fridays off, boosted sales per employee by 40 percent, compared with the same month a year earlier, according to the post. The number of pages printed in the office fell by 59 percent, electricity consumption dropped 23 percent, and 94 percent of employees were satisfied with the program.”

3 Likes

I’m having trouble locating the primary source, but to quote Ben Franklin

“If every man and woman would work for four hours each day on something useful that labor would produce sufficient to procure all the necessaries and comforts of life.”

With commute times being a thing everywhere until companies get more okay with distributed offices and/or wider telecommuting it just makes way more sense to work four 10 hour days than five 8 hour days.

1 Like

This is what I currently do, and I can take any day off except Thursday because that is team meeting day. But I can take any of the other four days off I want. Honestly, I have zero reason to commute to work. We have perfectly functional remote desktops implemented. I can sit on my computer at home and its exactly the same as sitting at my desk at work. Yet I have to go into the office unless I ask permission to work from home I would work from home a LOT if I could.

Commuting sucks… I do it every day, but I don’t think four 10 hour days is the solution. We have that option here and I choose not to do it. Instead, I work eight 9 hour days and one 8 hour day and have every other Friday off.

Even doing that, although I’m working 80 hours in a two week period, I’m not as productive as if I was just working 5 day workweeks. I can only work for so many hours a day before my brain is just done. I doubt I would get anywhere near 10 hours of productive work done in a 10 hour day.

The article, and the movement to shorten the workweek, isn’t trying to pack a 40 hour workweek into fewer days, it’s trying to prove that the 40 hour week is bad for people and that workers are actually more efficient and productive if they work less, not just fewer days with more hours packed into each day.

This times a thousand. If I just worked eight hour days four days a week it would be amazing. I am really only productive seven or eight of those ten hours I spend at work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwLZUeaIR38

I’ve been on a kick of watching restoration videos and YouTube suggested this one to me. This is fascinating just as a restoration video but there are some Russian redneck engineering shenanigans in a couple parts. Wait til the bit where he pulls out the AA battery (20:15). Also, what is a bearing press?

Some cool infographics for accessible design.

3 Likes

John Bois breaks down “that” Bodybuilding com thread. If you don’t know which one I’m talking about, just… Just watch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eECjjLNAOd4

1 Like

But every single do vs don’t is just general good design principles that any uni student should be able to follow and put out after their studies are complete. Every single one of these examples improves usability for “average” users too.

Sure. That’s kind of the point though: Accessible Design is Good Design.

And, speaking as someone working in corporate web development, almost no one coming into our company has had any accessible design training. I used to do a lot of new hire mentoring and it was something people consistently struggled with. Worth noting, though, that our Principal Architect has been known to scream in meetings, saying: “Fuck UX.” So. There’s that.

1 Like
2 Likes

Nothing like a good hype headline claiming X species colony just existed on cannibalism alone when the caloric efficiency rate of digestion coupled makes that impossible.