The Unofficial Convention Archive Thread

I know some of you know this but in case others were not in the know, I have been spending my covid learning how to edit video and slowly have been collecting archival footage of conventions to eventually categorize them and have them all in one place.

I have set a goal for myself to start “phase 3” aka asking for help once I completed the PAX Prime 2012 streams. Since I am slowly getting to that point wanted to open it up for suggestions and idea on where to go from here. Open to suggestions let me know your ideas. Will throw some interesting stuffs on here on things you may want to pay attention to.

Edit: Almost forgot to mention. If you want to do me a solid sign up for Lbry here:

In short I get more credits to upload videos if you do. Even if you do not do anything else with it.

2 Likes

Interesting stuff: Did you know that all Pop Cap games, specifically Facebook version of Pop Cap games, uses this chart to determine the free to play economy?

Also Rym and Scott appear at 26:06 and 29:00 respectively. Scott also broke the news that PAX Australia was a thing.

lbry://@TheUnofficialConventionArchives#4/PAXPrime2012PennyArcadeQnA1#8

The real holy grail is to get footage from old conventions. This isn’t just going to be about editing, but about digging. I’m talking like, find someone with VHS from 80s or 90s cons and do digital transfers and such.

You are absolutely correct I can not tell you how many rabbit holes I have found on conventions. The idea is to make a website for people to dump footage for me to sift. For now chasing leads via google fu to get whatever I can. I am already at 23 TB of footage.

1 Like

Working on some academic conferences now to take a break from PAX material. Wanted to highlight this since it is a good primer on Japanese music in video game soundtracks.

2 Likes

Finishing up the NACVGM talks for 2020. You can now prove to your friends that bit bridge is an awesome band with this talk.

Hitting the PAX pile again, I think I might have found the best post mortem on a game. Its a developer using the game engine that he used to create a game and turning it into an interactive PowerPoint.

1 Like

The first few minutes has really loud Zelda music playing over the speakers…?

Yea that is something I could not pull out since it was part of the master recording at the 4 minute mark it goes away.

Here’s a playlist with 41 of our PAX Panels, complete with slides!

Already got it covered @rym you’re on LBRY and Internet Archive as we speak. If you ever get a Geeknights LBRY account you can bolster them on your page if you like.

1 Like

So I think I am doing something right.

I am now undergoing the hell of out of sync audio and getting it to be placed correctly with the end of Saturday’s for PAX East 2013. Also got an idea on making a formal website for this too, trying to get things lined up now and getting the proper domain names.

I now have a pipline to recover corrupted VODs from Twitch! It is not pretty, but I was able to recover several panels by taking it into VSDC, cutting out the corrupted parts, exporting it as an AVI, converting that into MP4, and then exporting the mp3 file from the corrupted file. Of course I still need to sync this after all is said and done, the latest file I am working with has also shuffled scenes…sarcastic yay.

In other news I am building a website for this so that you can search for videos on something that isn’t a video site. Fielding for suggestions for things to put on there that you think would add value to this endeavor.

1 Like

What do you mean by this? You’re indexing things that twitch/youtube/vimeo/whatever aren’t?

More like having it in a format that it is easier to get access to. You could go and watch a VOD, find the three parts of a video in an 18 hour stream and remember which order each clip is in. I am trying to do the hard work for the masses.

I mainly use Twitch Leecher to snag VODs from Twitch. You can download the full stream or you can designate start and end points.

The website has content on it https://www.theunofficialconventionarchive.com/ feel free to let me know if there is something I am missing on here that would be a better call to actiony thing to include. For the moment taking a break from learning wordpress to work on the PAX archive.

1 Like

Two good videos to share.

First is for @SkeleRym and @Apreche The real Harm of games panel that you do can now share some good primary resources to bad studies.

Also if you are a fan of microtalks here is a good one to watch.

Its been a while have have two things to share: first the website is now live. (Took me over a month to build the damn thing), if any of you want to give feedback to it as in anything obvious that I am missing or general suggestions let me know.

Second is a video I am going to share, I have the entire Cards Against Humanity tribute to Ryan Davis (former Giant Bomb personally) on there now. Its is about an hour of good stories about him before they get into cards against humanity.

After taking over 2 months to download, I now have a copy of the Unofficial PAX DVDs, there is some great footage here with interesting quality due to the nature of the project. Including some talk show done at PAX’s past…