The PC Building Thread

If you look at alot of spreadsheets and graphs, maybe this is for you.

1 Like

Great call by ASUS. I’m sure there are a lot of people out there who need exactly this. If only they could have put two of the HDMI ports on a breakout the card could be low-profile for HTPC cases.

Video wall anyone?

1 Like

That is a great card for a lot of cool things.

1 Like

8k gaming at 120 fps?

My current shopping list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pZ8brV

I’m looking for input mainly on the CPU and MoBo. I don’t need a better GPU than a 2070 Super and 32 gigs of RAM is plenty for my daily use. The M.2 will be windows and the spinny disc for everything else; I might switch to a different hard drive maker later after more research, but 2 or 3 TBs per drive sounds good for what I need. I already own the case (it’s where my current rig sits) and PSU, and I’d rather not buy new for either.

On CPUs, I took a serious look at the latest AMD processors, and I do like both the Ryzen 7 3700X and 9 3900X, the stickingis the motherboard. I don’t need PCIe 4 right now and I don’t like that all the AMD MoBos I saw had these little fans with no way to easily swap in case of a failure. I’d rather stick with PCIe 3 and wait for PCIe 4 to have more use for me and for the MoBos to not have those dumb fans.

For Intel chips, I don’t think I need the i9, so I could drop down to the i7-9700 and get a second M.2 or better/more new spinny discs instead. Mobo was a random pick of something with decent enough reviews that didn’t have too much nonsense I won’t use in the i/o.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Fb6y9G

My upgrade list so far. This only includes stuff I’m actually changing. This is almost entirely off LogicalIncrements’ suggestions, with a little shopping around to find better deals. For OS I kinda want to stick to Windows 10 but I’m also considering Ubuntu.

Windows Media Player skins hits me in the nostalgia gland

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaNDeyYP98A

1 Like

Looking to upgrade my monitors specifically for content creation and thinking about doing a 3 monitor setup with a 43" Dell being the main driver. Anyone have any recommendations on good monitors that can be placed in the vertical position?

43" is not a monitor, that’s a television. For it to make sense, you have to be sitting very very far away.

You are indeed correct, but looking for something I can view at a distance and the 2x2 option to connect multiple computers too also helps.

Dang. I guess that’s more economical than 4 monitors, but I’ve never found a need for more than 2.

2 is good but I’m definitely considering adding a 3rd myself. Basically one for streaming content in the background, one for working and one for reference. That 43" seems like a great option instead! Would be fun for gaming too. Some Halo MCC on that would be nice!

One of the jobs I worked had one workstation with 3 monitors wide x 2 high. Mostly it was enough but sometimes you kinda wished you had more real estate to put this window somewhere.

It was for hardware testing. Most of the real estate was status displays, think mission control.

1 Like

Now that I have 4k monitors, I find I’m good with just two screens. One horizontal, and one vertical. I can put 2-3 applications on the vertical one. So for a livestream, all the streaming and community stuff is over there.

1 Like

How suitable is a Mac mini for an HTPC in 2020?

I don’t feel it’s a wise choice. If you’re already a Mac person, you can use AppleTV. It’s cheaper, smaller, and you can have it mirror the screen of any other of your Apple devices. What does Mac Mini do that AppleTV doesn’t?

The thing is, no Apple device will be good for HTPC gaming. If you want to play Steam games or emulate anything, you want Windows.

1 Like

This weekend I built my first PC! I’d always bought a pre-built one in the past, but now they’ve gotten so proprietary that you can’t even upgrade the GPU.

I spent 3 hours last night assembling it, sweating at the thought of a mistake costing me hundreds of dollars. But the worst that happened was I forgot to plug in the PCIe slot before turning it on.

This is what I used to build my new system: https://newegg.io/125caf4

3 Likes

Congrats. After you do it once I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone go back.

1 Like

For sure. Now that I know I can do it, there’s no reason not to anymore.