The PC Building Thread

I did something like this with the PC I built a while back, and it’s wonderul.

512GB SATA - Windows and non-game applications only
1TB SSD M.2 PCIE - Games and media files with which I’m actively working
2X 5TB SATA spinning disks - everything else

It’s perfect.

1 Like

I’m seriously considering building a new PC but I’m on a bit of a budget. Ryzen setups are super affordable but I am still leery of AMD after seeing several friends’ and my wife’s rigs catastrophically shit themselves in short order with AMD hardware for no discernible reason. I also can’t seem to get a straight answer as to whether or not AMD CPUs play nice with nVidia graphics cards.

I’ve had a Ryzen 2700x for a while now with a GTX 1080 with no complaints. Nvidia will basically always make their GPU compatible with both AMD and Intel processors, anything else would be legally problematic.

I’ve been on a Ryzen build from right when the first gen dropped and it hasn’t ever given me any issues that I could attribute to AMD. I refuse to get an AMD graphics card and have been on an Nvidia 1080 this whole time and they all have played nice. Never ran into any serious issues I could attribute to having a Ryzen that don’t happen just as often as any other computer I’ve ever had.

Not to say it’s always the case or anything but, I had luck as an early adopter. I would say the Ryzen ecosystem is pretty well fleshed out by now three gens in.

Hrm and the upgrade for CPU+mobo+RAM for an upgrade to a Ryzen 5 1600 is under $300… Time to convince the wife!

The only thing I’d say for going that route is make sure the RAM is known good RYZEN, and that the mobo is somewhat well reviewed.

I had good luck with my build but I do attribute some of that to doing a decent amount of digging into boards and early reviews and avoiding some boards that seemed troublesome. Went with a Gigabyte higher end Mobo as I knew they would likely keep that up to date earlier and for longer, made sure the specific RAM was being used successfully, etc.

Ryzen will save some money but what I saved on CPU cost, I put some of that back into the rest of the machine to ensure I was getting decent, good performing stuff across the board. Basically my mindset was get more performance for my set budget

Legit I am upgrading from an i5 2300, pretty much ANYTHING is an upgrade at this point. I’ll look into the RAM thing though I was doing a bit of reading and had no idea that RAM manufacturers were optimizing for Intel CPUs. I had never thought about it because for over a decade AMD was dead to me.

Well, Discord (my main rig) died monday night, but I’m happy to announce that my new rig, Vega, is up and running!

ThermalTake View 37
Asus Prime X470-Pro
AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
EVGA GTX 1070
64GB G.Skill Ripjaw RAM (4x16GB)
Intel 1TB M.2 SSD (OS)
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (Media Editing Cache and Temp Drive)
13.5TB Storage Array (5x 3TB Seagate Barracuda Striped Array through Windows Storage Spaces)
EVGA 750W Modular Power Supply

4 Likes

It’s almost the five year mark for my PC and I’m planning to either upgrade specific bits or turn it into a NAS and get a completely new rig.

Fractal Design Define R4
MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5T OC
Intel Core i5-4690K
ASUS Z97-PRO
16 GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR3 Ram (4 X4 GB)
250 GB Samsung 850 EVO
3 TB Seagate HDD (1 TB that’s closer to 7-8 years old and a 2TB that’s 5 years old)
XTR Series 650W Modular Power Supply

I have enough saved up that getting an entire new rig isn’t an issue, but if all I need to keep my current machine going for a few more years is a GPU and power supply upgrade, I’d rather do that. Any thoughts on which way to go?

Why would you need to upgrade the PSU? 650W is probably pretty capable. Unless it’s loud and inefficient of course. They’re cheap enough for even a really good one.

If you upgrade just the GPU you’ll have to actually go pretty high up to see significant benefits I think. Like a 1080 or 2070 or equivalent.

But I’d start there at least. Then look at maybe a new Mobo set.

1 Like

I’d say get more RAM too. 16gigs is okay, but I hit that with just chrome, Audition, and OBS open at the same time. Maybe bump it up to 32gb and get a GTX1070 or RTX2070 if ray tracing is important to you.

1 Like

Yeah but at 4x4 that means replacing half or all of the sticks. Then again, DDR3 should be cheap, so it’s not crazy to replace all of 'em with 8GB sticks if that’s in the budget.

In any case 16 is not great, not terrible. I wouldn’t touch it unless one actually starts regularly coming up against a memory wall.

2 Likes

More RAM is 100% in budget. I have enough saved up to be excessively indulgent.

I’d consider upgrading the PSU if I get a recent GPU (2070/2080) instead of the 1080 to cover it and any additional upgrades going forward.

Sounds good. It’s hard to go wrong with more memory but I’ve definitely found that with 32 I have to really really try to get above 50% of my allotment.

For example right now I have two instances of a 3D CAD program up with some heavy models, some big AutoCAD master drawings, decided to also fire up Adobe Illustrator and Indesign to edit some documents, got like 20 tabs open in Chrome, 3 different music programs going, and I’m just at 15gb usage.

HOW? I’ve got Photoshop, Chrome, and Animate (Adobe Flash) open and I’m at 16gb.

I don’t know tbh, I figured I’d be cracking 20. I’m actually quite surprised. That said I would think Photoshop and Flash are quite heavy on memory if my memory serves.

1 Like

The only things that fully utilize my 32GB are running a dedicated video render or the warp stabilizer analysis within Premiere.

1 Like

What number of tabs, what plugins do you have running in chrome. Also when your browser starts eating huge amounts of ram that’s when you transition browsers/fix the issue in the current browser.

Session Buddy, Adblock plus, Darkmode, Ponyhoof, and that’s it.

Gross, get ublock origin.

8 Likes