The New Forum beta test - complaints and suggestions

I think it’s your phone.

Out of curiosity, why do linked articles from NPR not show up as a preview like other website? Similarly, linked articles from the Washington Post are hit and miss as well.

Example Polygon:

Example Washington Post

Edited to add: Huh… Now the Washington Post preview is working. Like I said, it seems to be hit and miss.

They’re both showing up for me.

Is anyone supposed to be able to change the title of any Thread?

There’s a period of a couple of months for you to alter your post. After that, you’ll have to ask a mod.

I’m curious as I seem to have the ability to change the title of any thread I wish.

Polygon always displays. Sites like NPR and the Washington Post sometimes do and sometimes don’t. Why they don’t always display is why I posted.

Everyone can. Not sure why.

Oh, neat I guess. Seems like the right month to play around with that feature.

It’s linked to your member status. I’m not exactly sure how discourse does it. Also probably something the site admin can control. But basically there’s levels, when you’re a new account you can’t change much but over time and with more participation you ascend until the only levels higher are crew member, mod, and like site admin.

The nature of the folks you see over and over mean we’re all at the highest level we can have before needing to be granted something higher. Part of that is privileges to modify thread titles.

OH, that makes sense. Survive on here long enough and gain the ability to make minute things that throw people off.

There may also be a hidden part of the forum or hidden threads exclusively for the use of certain ranks and above. That or that was only on the last forum. I cannot remember. Either way, it’s all in the ranks.

The ranks are setup such that any legitimate person will quickly reach the highest rank that isn’t moderator. It’s mostly an anti-spam measure. To become moderator requires manual intervention.

The new hexagon G logo, while cool, does not look the sharpest in favicon form.

With the new dark logo, I really want a dark mode theme for the forum. All the other apps I use now have dark modes, and most websites I read I instantly switch to reader view on Safari, which shows me a dark mode version. Reader view doesn’t work on this forum though so it remains the only website I check in bed that blinds me when opening.

3 Likes

Yeah I have to work on that.

I added the ability to choose dark or light mode.

4 Likes

Looks great, thanks.

It looks like it says Gee Knights.

2 Likes

Where is this? I’ll try to fix it.