The New Forum beta test - complaints and suggestions

It’s happening again and I found the error in the logs. I’m reporting it to discourse.

EDIT: I found the bug already reported and they put a patch out 20ish hours ago. I installed an update which included that patch.

3 Likes

Could not think of a place I could put this in, my website is unable to access the following episodes of Geeknights:

http://frontrowcrew.com/geeknights/20060214/ubercon-and-burning-wheel/

http://frontrowcrew.com/geeknights/20071002/the-burning-wheel/

The MP3s download for me just fine. If for some reason a HTTP request to those mp3 urls is blocked, that is probably something Libsyn is doing.

Ah, I liked to the pages not the mp3s that makes sense. Wanted to point it out since I just noticed it.

How could the actual web pages be blocked? What do you mean blocked?

To debug that I need the complete HTTP request with URL, headers, etc. and also know which IP address the request was coming from.

I updated the links already but I had it coming from this:

It was meta information for a video you did at Burning Con in 2011. Since at the time I just copy pastaed the description from YouTube.

I got the 404 when my Link Monitor on MangeWP scanned the website for dead links and slowly cleaning things up to make sure everything is at least pointing to something valid.

The frontrowcrew.com page is showing up as not secure for me on my phone and laptop. The forum is fine, but the homepage is not. Tried it on both Safari and Firefox and cleared browser data in case that was having an impact on it, but still getting that warning when I check the site information in the address bar.

Yes. The site does not currently support SSL. That is coming with the new web site.

1 Like

Discourse 3.0 is out in beta. There are some big changes. This forum runs on the newest beta version of Discourse, which is actually the default and their suggested setting. They’re weird and don’t ask you to stick with the stable version.

I realized that the way Discourse works that if you keep upgrading a whole bunch, they sort of leave new features off. That way your site doesn’t magically change just from upgrading. So if you had one site that ran Discourse 1.0 and upgraded it all the way to 3.0 it would look completely different from a clean installation of 3.0, even if you never changed any settings.

I took this opportunity to go through all the discourse settings and double-check all of them and set them the way I want them to be set.

Here is what I changed that is significant and you might notice:

1. I enabled the sidebar. I think they did a good design change there.
  2. You can now login with GitHub and/or Discord.
  3. The forum might try to send more e-mails now like weekly digests. I tried to make it so it doesn’t suddenly surprise people and send too many e-mails. I hate that stuff a lot, but I wanted to enable the option for people who wanted it. Check your e-mail preferences.
  4. I updated what custom fields are available on user profiles.
  5. I’m thinking about changing the font. Arial is so meh. How do we feel about Lato? It’s very popular. Google Fonts: Lato. I wish there was a way to let users choose. Maybe I’ll look for a plugin.
  6. I did NOT enable the new chat feature. I would have, but we already have Discord.
1 Like

So, I guess this new software is gonna start acting like a YouTube moderator now?

You post was a bit racist, so I kinda get it.

I flagged it myself. Making fun of the pronunciation of someone’s name in that manner is absolutely against the community guidelines.

2 Likes

Why isn’t my embedded image showing up?

Is the search jacked up right now? Currently Asteroid City gives me 3 hits, none of which are this one.

I don’t think the search will give you the same thread in the results twice, even if there are multiple posts in that thread which match. It will just send you to the earliest post in that thread that matches.

Kind of feels like a misfeature.

I didn’t program it.

Of course, I understand.

There seems to be a new issue in the forums after we upgraded to the new site.
Whenever I try to click an image to view it full size, it covers the entire screen and becomes blurry.

It works if I right-click to view the image in a separate tab, but having to just simply click has always been my go-to method until this started happening.

The forum and the new site are not connected in any way whatsoever. There may have been some change in Discourse itself, but I looked in the changelog and didn’t find anything.

When I click on an image, it does indeed open a blurry version of the image as the background, but it opens the correct resolution image in the foreground. If the comment has multiple images, it makes a little gallery where you can go through the images. It’s working just fine on my iPad and iPhone. I’ll test it on more devices. It needs to be reproduced with certainty and more information before a bug can be reported to Discourse.

1 Like