The Best Game You Can Name (Ice Hockey)

Continuation of old thread with much improved title.

For any nerds who might be confused and think this is a video or board game thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YS3GQverRiQ

As for our New York Rangers, we sucked for about a week or so, but now we’re back to the same form as the beginning of the season. Two hatties in a row. What a time to restart this new thread.

Old Forum had two discussions about hockey.

Two things of note happened yesterday: First Winnipeg Jets rookie sensation Patrick Laine got completely demolished in a huge open ice hit. Hope he’s alright:

And the AHL played an outdoor game in pooring rain. Yes, the ice is covered in water:

Backyard rink tricycle zamboni

It’s relit. Where dj zbad at?

I sure do hate Papa Johns pizza. It’s disgusting. But Papa bless Sam Rosen.

It appears that the Barclays Center is going to kick out the Islanders after the 2018-19 season.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-01-30/brooklyn-s-barclays-center-said-to-be-dumping-the-islanders

As someone who has only attended a few High school and College hockey games and 1 NHL game is there someplace you could direct me to? I’d like to have a more comprehensive hockey watching experience but mostly I just feel lost while watching it on TV.

Hockey is a very simple game. You only need to know these six things to watch it.

1. You put the puck into the other team’s net to score points. Most points wins.
  2. There are three periods of 20 minutes each. Teams switch sides each period.
  3. It’s tiring to ice skate, so players only play for a few minutes at a time and keep switching off the bench without stopping the game.
  4. There is an offside rule and an icing rule. They are both incredibly simple compared to the offside rule in soccer.
  5. There are certain things you are not allowed to do. Most, but not all, of them involve hitting another player in an illegal manner. There are legal ways to hit other players, but mostly illegal ones. If you do one of these illegal things, they put the offending player in the box. While in the box, your team is short-handed. The other team will outnumber you, so they have a power play. However, the team that is short handed is allowed to ignore the usual icing rule.
  6. When there’s no power play, you can have 6 players on the ice. Usually you have 5 regular players (3 offense, 2 defense) and one goalie. You don’t have to have the goalie, though. You can remove your goalie for a regular player whenever you want. You usually do this at the end of a game if you are losing or during a delayed penalty call.

That’s it. If anything happens during the game you don’t understand, it will probably be some specific rule, like you can’t kick the puck into the net, delay of game for deliberately hitting the puck over the glass, hand pass, etc. You can just Google them when they happen if you care.

Own goal!

Fucking Tanner Glass.

Right?

The U.S. women’s national team is planning to boycott this year’s world championship which starts on March 31st in Plymouth. They demand better pay, better marketing, better support for female development players, etc. Good for them I say. Some shocking revelations coming out of here, for example that the women’s team is payed a total of 6,000 dollars every four years and nothing more, while they are being expected to be in top shape and competitive for the Olympics and every year for the worlds.

Good for them! The thing is, how much money doe USA Hockey actually have?

[quote=“Apreche, post:17, topic:202”]
The thing is, how much money doe USA Hockey actually have?
[/quote]In 2015, they made about four billion in revenue. So not exactly short of a shilling.

Wow, where do they get those revenues from?

Also, fuck 'em.

[quote=“Apreche, post:19, topic:202”]
Wow, where do they get those revenues from?
[/quote]I can tell you that exactly, from the 2005 Collective bargaining agreement between the NHL and the players, and IIRC they should still be bound by it or something very similar to it depending on how regularly they refresh their CBA.

List is as follows:

1. NHL Regular Season & Playoff Gate Receipts
  2. Pre-Season Games
  3. Special Games (International Exhibition Games, etc)
  4. NHL National, International and National Digital Broadcasts
  5. NHL Networks
  6. Local Cable Television Broadcasts
  7. Local Pay-Per-View, Satellite and Other Broadcasts
  8. Local Over-the-Air Television Broadcasts
  9. Local Radio Broadcasts
  10. Club Internet
  11. Publications
  12. In-Arena Novelty Sales
  13. Non-Arena Novelty Sales
  14. Concessions
  15. Luxury Boxes/Suites
  16. Club/Premium Seats
  17. Fixed Signage/Arena Sponsorships
  18. Temporary Signage/Club Sponsorships
  19. Dasherboards
  20. Parking
  21. Other Revenues (sale of game-worn jerseys, skills competitions, open practices, etc)

I assume some of that goes to things like advertising, stadium upkeep, etc, and obviously some of it goes to players, but I’ll eat my own head if they’re not still making a fair whack of profit year-to-year after expenses.