The Benefits of Pouring Milk before Cereal

I just mix the cereal in with all my morning beverages. So a bit of coffee, milk and maybe some oj. Just make a big old paste then drink it down like a seagull.

7 Likes

Just use your gaping maw as a cereal bowl, you end up getting less dishes dirty in the long run.

6 Likes

i almost choked

2 Likes

Practice makes perfect. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Honestly, you all lack patience. The true secret to cereal is to drink the milk the night before your breakfast.

5 Likes

I see you’re a man of culture as well

Culture

A+

7 Likes

I totally missed that; mind blown.

who the fuck eats cereal

2 Likes

I think your positives for adding milk before cereal are outweighed by the fact that accurately measuring the amount of cereal you’re pouring is more important than measuring the amount of milk. Cereal is the primary thing you’re actually eating, and if you misjudge the amount you want to eat when pouring milk you have to either cope with improperly milked cereal, going hungry, or having to eat too much/waste food. Meanwhile, if you pour the amount of cereal you want to eat first, it is relatively easy to judge the appropriate amount of milk for that cereal.

3 Likes
5 Likes

I remember reading a book where the author went on a small digression and one of the characters went on a mini-rant on the “proper” way to eat cereal.

If I remember correctly, the character wanted to invent a spoon that held refrigerated milk in a small container in the handle of the spoon, and as you put the spoon in your mouth to eat the cereal, you would hit a button to “inject” the milk from the handle through a hole at the “spoon” part of the spoon, thereby only mixing the cereal and the milk once they’re both in your mouth.

1 Like

Step 1: Determine your preferred milk:cereal ratio through trial and error.

Step 2: Thereafter, pour all cereal and milk from a measuring cup, thus ensuring accurate cereal and milk quantities.

Step 3: Idc whether you pour milk or cereal first, you do you, but eat it before it gets soggy. Why are you eating your cereal so slowly? Soggy cereal is a crime. If you want to savor your morning (you weirdo, mornings suck) then do so over a cup of your coffee/tea/hot caffeinated beverage of your choice.

I’m not sure if this is an Italian thing or if it’s specifically a my nonna thing but as a kid, I used to get cheerios in warm milk with a splash of coffee in it as breakfast.

This resulted in me occasionally doing exactly this as an adult but also occasionally just throwing a handful cheerios into my morning coffee (on leisurely weekends anyway) and then eating them in two or three spoonfuls, take a sip. 20 goto 10. So… maybe relevant?

1 Like

I’d only try that with an espresso, but then I’d be spending a perfectly good espresso.

See no one has mentioned the problems of trying to get the ratio right for when the bottom of the packet is just dust.

2 Likes

Sieves! Great way to separate the gross dust from the delicious cereal.

3 Likes

Shredded Wheat, which I am really into lately, has serious dust problems.

3 Likes

Breakfast hack: If you want to minimize cereal ‘dust’. Before you open the bag, take it out of the box, turn it upside down and open it from that end. That way you get a little of the ‘dust’ in your bowl every time you eat and less at the end of the bag. Or you could just shack the box before opening it each morning. That way the ‘dust’ will be mixed in with your cereal every time.

Along with a tall glass of fruit* juice?

*mostly vegetables though

Shake the box until consistency is a fine dust. Then stir into water and consume.

5 Likes