Steam

Same a guy who I work with brought it in, ergonomically it was tops and the hardcase they give you was awesome.

In terms of ergonomics, both switch and steam deck need to have swivelled controls.

Understandably this add to cost and adds more things to break, but to be able to set the angle of the screen independent of the controls would be so much nicer.

Also, something for the fingertips to grip and the back, so that it doesn’t feel like your cramping your hands to hold it.

Alternatively could just use an external control pad, but then you’re not holding the device in that case which defeats the purpose.

I do agree that swiveling would be great. It sure would make it a lot more comfortable to play Switch in bed.

However, I think it’s a big ask for a first party to implement something like that. A moving part like that is going to suffer a lot of breakage no matter how well engineers. Also might add a lot to the cost if it is well-made. It probably has to remain in the realm of the third party.

1 Like

For the Switch I imagine a 3rd party thing that could go between the joycons and the switch, that could enable it to swivel.

You can already buy 3rd party joycons for different grip styles. Maybe Hori could make one. Won’t hold my breath.

For the Steamdeck, without detachable controls it won’t be possible.

Very very nice feature, especially for people with low speeds and bandwidth caps. They should have done this years ago. Better late than never.

2 Likes

This is great, I will not miss having to work out the correct manifest file to manually copy across with the game files.

This is the game:

Someone tried to make a steam deck console.

Today is the 20th anniversary of the launch of Steam.

1 Like

I remember thinking it was a useless piece of software that I avoided at first. Not sure what changed my mind (maybe it was the friends list? I was playing CS1.6 a bunch), but I signed up about 6 weeks later

I apparently joined February 2nd 2004. I have been a Steam member for most of my life (or a bit over half).

We were playing CS since the beta. When new patches were released the servers would all update quickly. This meant you couldn’t play until you also updated. There was no easy way to get updates. You had to manually find a web site with the install files and do it yourself.

This meant going to a shady world of gaming file hosting mirrors and finding one that wasn’t so overloaded that you could actually download the file. Either that, or a friend would succeed and share the file somehow.

I installed Steam immediately because it finally ended all that hassle. They had reliable servers for automatically updating Counter-Strike without any effort, for free, without ads. It was a miracle. When they started selling new games on there, it just made sense.

2 Likes

I remember playing, like, CS_Italy over and over and over instead of going to class.

1 Like

New Steamdeck OLED models announced.

1st gen LCD screens are all getting a price drop. New OLED models have increased battery life (larger battery, OLED drawing less power), WIFI6e, 5% lighter overall and improved cooling.

1 Like