Star Wars: The Disney Era

Oh I did too. There was some good stuff but sooo much crap. I didn’t know it was crap with elementary school kid brain though.

When I first saw Star Wars as a very young Kid I didn’t like it, and didn’t think much of it. It wasn’t until I played the game TIE Fighter that I became interested. Then there was the re-release, and I was pretty hyped, but was disappointed in the theaters. Then there was the prequels, and I was again disappointed. And now all these new movies and… still disappointed.

Maybe I don’t actually like Star Wars. Maybe I just like space ship battles.

To be fair, extended lore and various video games have been interesting. And what-if situations. But maybe I don’t give a shit about Star Wars.

I mean that’s fair. TIE Fighter was advanced as fuck for its time, still is. I’d love to see a star wars space fighter sim on the level of a DCS style simulator with even more fiddly bits and physics. Might even be possible in DCS but the people who play and develop for it are hard core IRL aviation types.

1 Like

Some more deets.

THR’s coverage has some sources alluding to thoughts of Kennedy and Benioff and Weiss around the netflix v disney stuff.

Given how Game of Thrones ended and that the last “Skywalker-centric” movie is about to come out. I’m sure the thoughts of “Sticking the landing” are central in the Lucasfilm/Disney thought process.

1 Like
2 Likes

The circle is complete.

1 Like

What is new Machete order? Extending the original gives:

IV
V
II
III
VI
VII
VIII
(IX)

We still have to watch Solo and Rogue One.

Solo has to come after Empire Strikes Back. You just saw Han get frozen in carbonite, plus a lot of Lando action.

Could you do Rogue One first? Think about watching this space movie about a battle station then oh shit it can destroy planets?

That would give us:

R1
IV
V
Solo
II
III
VI
VII
VIII
IX

Harmy’s Despecialized for the original trilogy of course.

I would just ditch solo and rogue one. As great as the cinematography and editing in Rogue one is its story is really superfluous. Plus you’ll probably get uncanny valley whiplash watching Digital Grand Moff Tarkin and Princess Leia side by side with the real thing. Solo makes more sense thematically if you paused Episode 4 and watched it right after Han and Chewie leave with all the money. The audience is like Luke, disappointed, but then you get justification for his mercenary ways and his last minute return in the trench run is even more exciting/surprising.

The machete order only mattered when Star Wars was a limited experience of a small set of movies.

Now that there’s just Star Wars all over, I think it matters less. Just watch every Star Wars movie when it comes out. Watch at least a few of the old ones for context.

Just go with chronological order of release. It really doesn’t matter.

I guess I thought Machete implied the it was the first time someone was seeing them.

Yes, even in that case, it doesn’t matter.

It gets more ridiculous when you factor in the new TV series

VI
V
II
Clone Wars
III
Solo
Rebels
R1
VI
Resistance S1
VII
VIII
Resistance S2
IX

I think one of the original points of the Machete Order was that Star Wars was “important” and the order you watched mattered, and just as importantly it was okay to skip one of only six movies!

Now Star Wars is unending, not particularly special or important, and you’re probably not going to watch all the movies in order anyway, because there’s now too many, so skipping a movie is expected and not transgressive.

I put out my own Episode I fanedit, and making it fit into the Machete Order in the obvious place was one of the goals of the edit. I planned on working on it more, and even did a BlueRay HD version, but never got round to finishing it. That’s because making that edit finished was no longer an clear path to “completing” Star Wars. There is no longer any hope of “completing” Star Wars, at least not within the time and skill of a single fan editor.

1 Like

Auralnauts dropping the sick beats:

So who is watching Mandalorian? I am that’s who.

mandalorian%20orange

3 Likes

Watched the 4 available episodes of The Mandalorian last night.

It started out really strong. Like yeah, even more Star War! Aw Yiss.

But then during episode 3 I sloped from yay to meh. Episode 4 was entirely meh.

Episode 4 specifically gave me flashbacks to the '90s. The storytelling was so dated and uninspired. The acting wasn’t bad, but it also wasn’t anything to write home about. I felt like I had flipped on a TV to a random prime time TV show where everyone just happened to be wearing Star Wars cosplay. It gave me all the same feelings that made me stop watching live action American TV in the first place.

If you’re going to pull a Cowboy Bebop situation where only some of the episodes focus on the main plot, and the others are completely episodic with a little bit of character development, then those other episodes need to be absolutely wild. I need that high concept biz. Give me that episode where the fridge fungus kills everyone in an Alien homage. Give me that Dexter’s Lab episode where Mandark can only say “ha ha ha”. Don’t give me a random episode of Xena: Warrior Princess with the costumes changed.

The fact that it’s Star Wars means it should be super easy to make powerful episodic content. That makes it even worse that they failed. I’ll give 'em one more shot to see how they do in episode 5. If not, then I’ll either stop watching, or figure out which episodes are the real plot episodes and watch only those.

1 Like