Star Wars: The Disney Era

Final trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=147&v=8Qn_spdM5Zg

1 Like

Definitely better than the last trailer, still on the fence about it. Will probably see it eventually in theaters, but not in any rush.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjuLcceCm-U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmI7WKrAtqs

1 Like

Well, the Game of Thones boys are off the Star Wars project, most likely after admitting how unskilled they actually are.

It does beg the question how were they even allowed to talk to GRRM to adapt the series in the first place.

1 Like

They explicitly said that their contract with Netflix meant they did not feel they had the time to actually work on a film trilogy for Disney and still make their contract commitments. Kathleen Kennedy went so far as to state to the press that the door is basically still open for them to come back and do something star wars related. Additionally whatever critical reception the end of GoT they are still a name recognition win for Disney.

And of course, the usual cadre of alt-right gamergate-esque turds have completely ignored this, and are preferring to act like A)Kennedy fired them, personally, for a various number of dumb conspiracy theory reasons, and B)Disney is going to go bankrupt because of Kennedy, and they’re going to fire her any day now.

I mean, Kennedy should be fired because the value loss that Rogue One, TLJ, and Solo represent. Regardless of how you personally feel about each of those films they under preformed to the point that Disney had to hit the freeze button on a lot of projects and shifted things around.

Minus Solo, that statement makes no sense. Both Rogue One and The Last Jedi made over a billion dollars, each.

4 Likes

Oh, certainly Rogue one and TLJ were successful, but I actually think they could’ve have made more money given the base value of the IP. When I say value loss I mean Diminished Value of the properties associated against potential profits. I believe Solo’s flop was partially due to issues with the other two films slowing the inherent momentum of the Star Wars IP. Solo of course had serious problems, well beyond any production issues on the first 2 films, but the Star Wars brand should’ve held it up more if say it came out in the timeslot Rogue One did.

Is the SW fanbase that insane? I still just have the same mindset of “OH COOL STAR WARS X-WING GO PEW PEW OH MAN COOL ALIENS AND SPACE WIZARDS!” I had as a kid. Solo was AWESOME to me, up there with A New Hope.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m of the same mind on the issue. Solo might be among my least favorite of the movies in the Franchise, but “Least favorite” and “Didn’t like” are not the same thing.

I mean, I read pretty much every EU novel in existence, I know there are far lower depths to which Star Wars can sink than the slightly damp puddle of Solo.

2 Likes

I just want more Star Wars all the time. Gimme gimme.

1 Like

Oh I did too. There was some good stuff but sooo much crap. I didn’t know it was crap with elementary school kid brain though.

When I first saw Star Wars as a very young Kid I didn’t like it, and didn’t think much of it. It wasn’t until I played the game TIE Fighter that I became interested. Then there was the re-release, and I was pretty hyped, but was disappointed in the theaters. Then there was the prequels, and I was again disappointed. And now all these new movies and… still disappointed.

Maybe I don’t actually like Star Wars. Maybe I just like space ship battles.

To be fair, extended lore and various video games have been interesting. And what-if situations. But maybe I don’t give a shit about Star Wars.

I mean that’s fair. TIE Fighter was advanced as fuck for its time, still is. I’d love to see a star wars space fighter sim on the level of a DCS style simulator with even more fiddly bits and physics. Might even be possible in DCS but the people who play and develop for it are hard core IRL aviation types.

1 Like

Some more deets.

THR’s coverage has some sources alluding to thoughts of Kennedy and Benioff and Weiss around the netflix v disney stuff.

Given how Game of Thrones ended and that the last “Skywalker-centric” movie is about to come out. I’m sure the thoughts of “Sticking the landing” are central in the Lucasfilm/Disney thought process.

1 Like