Spicy Food

How are you guy’s enjoyment of spice in cocktails? My brother roped me into getting a mango lime tequila cocktail with a lot of strong spices and it, despite being the exact opposite of something I’d normally order, turned out to be pretty fantastic; to the point that it made me want to soak some chilies in mango lemonade.

2 Likes

I enjoy a good spicy Bloody Mary and it’s south of the border cousin the Michelada. Wonderful to partake in on a Sunday brunch morning.

3 Likes

I’m personally not a fan of spice in my drinks, with the exception of cinnamon/nutmeg but those don’t really count in the same way. In general I like my food to be spicy and savory and my drinks to be sweet and tart.

Over the weekend, I tried some snickerdoodle cookies made with cayenne pepper, and they were amazing.

4 Likes

The first batch of publicly available “Last Dab” sauce is gonna be available on Thursday it seems like. I was gonna get my girlfriend some as a Christmas present. It sounds like if you’re in NYC you can just go pick it up at the event. Hoping I can grab some off their website when it goes live.

What finite neurotransmitter.
Spiciness is not a taste, there is no receptor specifically for it as there is for the regular tastes.
There’s a protein on the surface of sensory nerves which is present to detect heat. Spicy foods activate it in the same manner that hot temperatures do. The protein activates the nerve to tell the brain that there is a dangerous temperature on that part of the body, in this case the tongue, when in fact temperature is not an issue.
The brain will respond with releasing endorphins for initial pain relief and then a dopamine reward.

All that spicy food is doing is tricking the nerves of the tongue.

The reason that people get accustomed to the various levels of heat is the same reason that certain people have higher pain and heat tolerances than others - repetitive exposure to the initiator.

Hence why babies find spicy food difficult to eat.

Sounds like you’re adding way too much hot mustard or horseradish in one go.
When I visited Japan their wasabi was very hot but was always pre-applied to dishes so the chef had control over the taste and was even.
Maybe expanding your palate would assist.

I was slightly mistaken, capsaicin impedes regeneration of Substance P. Anyway, my explanation was intentionally simplistic.

Long term, the repeated TRPV1 ion channel activation causes the calcium-dependent programmed cell death of nociceptive neurons.

2 Likes

The 1985 study makes sense even in the common language, it’s the same reason you see pets coming into emergency when dumbasses feed them extremely spicy food, it’s the same thing as forcing them to have hard liquor, they’re not accustomed to it and didn’t choose to have it, spicy food is supposed to put them off from the food.

That’s not long term, that’s a contrived laboratory situation.

The study proves that cell death was induced in cortical neurons which were cultured from developing rats and then had capsaicin directly applied to the culture and associated substrate.

Applying the capsaicin every 6 hours to show detrimental effects.

So what that study proves is, if you’re willing to extract cortical neurons and apply spice directly to them then you’ll get cortical neuronal damage.

Not via the way a human would normally consume spicy foods.

That’s more than slightly mistaken. You’re making some stunning assumptions using studies that are barely related to the topic at hand.

#fakenews lol

1 Like

:man_scientist::honeybee::womans_hat:

Well thanks for your kind and generous correction of my misunderstanding. I assume you’re going to go to all the websites I gathered the interpretation from and correct them too?

6 Likes

Stuff sold out fast. 90 seconds for the bottles and 5 minutes for the bundle with a shirt.

I’d like to try it, sure, but I’m less competitive for sauce than I am for PAX badges and I’m not getting those.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh…

All scientific studies are inherently contrived.

Literally all of them.

THAT’S THE POINT.

That’s how we control variables.

That study used absolutely normal tissue culture techniques to study the effects of a specific compound on neurons.

And, yes, it did actually look at capsaicin the way that humans interact with it. The took the isolated compound that actually engages neural activity and applied it to neurons. They isolated the stuff that does what capsaicin actually does to you, and then applied it in vitro.

We do loads and loads of drug studies this way. The results have limitations, but not the extreme and quite frankly farcial limitations you indicate. Believe it or not, yes, you can extrapolate many things from laboratory settings to the real world. We do it all the time.

8 Likes

NO SHIT.
Haha I had to read so many fucking drug studies while practising I have to work out what’s bullshit from what isn’t. I never stated that the message described by the research scientists wasn’t valid in what they were studying, just that it was misplaced in the context of this discussion. Didn’t realise context went way over your head.

Are you seriously saying from that study that you can absolutely conclude that eating chillies will result in the effects of that study?

Are you taking into account the transition of capsaicin from the GIT to the bloodstream and then through the blood brain barrier?

I read a lot bullshit studies to work out what is an appropriate use case when treating patients.

To cortical neurons directly cultured rather than tissues of the tongue. You’re saying you have raw cortical neurons on your tongue, lol?

You can extrapolate all kinds of information but posting a blank “oh shit spiciness is bad for you here is some bullshit I googled that seems related to the topic to give me credence” and make me look like I know what I’m talking about is kind of a shit thing to do.

Yeah that straw man you refer to fucking sucks.

1 Like

Bruh, what the fuck crawled up your ass and died?

Chill.

You are clearly reacting to a discussion that we are not having here. Nobody said anything even close to that. The only comment that started this was related to damage to neurons from capsaicin exposure. Nobody said “it’s bad for you” - we were talking about mechanisms of interaction.

And, for the fucking record, capsaicin does not only affect the tongue when consumed. It stimulates the TRPV1 channel, which is found in both periphery nerves AND the CNS. So, yeah, its effect on cortical neurons is completely relevant.

So maybe just cool your jets. You’re not talking to your average uninformed science fan - and even if you were, you’d still be way out of line.

So cool the fuck off.

3 Likes

Skope is butthurt about everything I just don’t engage anymore.

3 Likes

Someone posted unsubstantiated and incorrect statement that they then tried to back up as fact with unrelated studies. You attempted to explain science to me as if I’m an art major in what read like an offensive tone.
I responded in kind.
While TRPV1 stimulation is relevant it is by no measure a conclusive study, nor does the study state it to be directly relevant to the topic which I’ve already covered as I read the short study rather than just posting a hyperlink with words related to a discussion.

Yeah I notice you’re like the 8 year old kid that tags onto any discussion topic for no other reason than mild harassment.

I’m starting to notice a pattern here…

Mundane discussion → sK0pe → flamewar

EDIT: Back in the fruit thread you said “I personally attempt to try things before judging them, I guess not everyone has common sense.” so maybe you should try cooling the fuck off and see if you like it.

3 Likes

I was actually about to suggest changing categories to flame wars.

1 Like

Wasn’t my original intent, but it’s getting hot in here.

3 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zCYX0esYlo

So in that video the new sauce is sort of revealed. A lot of marketing. I see a lot of people arguing over whether this cold pressed “squeezings” is really that different from extracts.

I don’t necessarily know either way. I don’t delve into super-hot stuff, but I’d try it.

1 Like