Show Ideas and Reminders

Rym’s job forced him to take one training about pricing where he learned some stuff, that is admittedly interesting. But then he goes around repeating those few tidbits like he’s some pricing expert now. The person who gave the training is the pricing expert who you should go listen to. The “here’s what I learned at one class I took” episode isn’t too far off from the “read Wikipedia out loud” podcast.

3 Likes

I really like that this thread is “Scott Tells You Why Your Show Ideas are Bad.” Very on-brand.

3 Likes

There are times where I tell people their show idea is good. It’s just a high bar to get over.

4 Likes

Well the constant negative reactions are certainly very inspiring and are doing a great job of encouraging more submissions :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m aware of this, but it’s a conscious decision to go with it compared to the alternatives.

One option is to actually do the suggested episodes. Not happening.

Another is to just say nothing and not do the episodes. In that case it will not only look like we aren’t doing what people suggest, which would discourage suggestions, but also not even listening to suggestions. That somehow our solicitation for show ideas is disingenuous.

So instead I will do unto others as I would like to have done to me. Get an actual response, even if the answer is no. Yes, we are listening to your ideas. Even if we don’t go with those ideas, I will at least demonstrate that I have heard you, and will honestly tell you why we didn’t do it.

I just imagine myself putting a note in a suggestion box at work or something. I’d rather have them acknowledge they read the note and tell me no, than say nothing at all.

2 Likes

Okay fair enough.

But I think you are being dismissive of show ideas where don’t think you have any expertise.

We don’t listen to you because you are experts in anything specific. When you do food shows, we don’t think your recipes or serving suggestions are from a position of expertise, instead they are just based on your life experience and your skill as storytellers to string together enough anecdotes to make a fun show.

As for the “pricing” idea, don’t try to convince us of your expertise, just share some stories. Times when you expected one price, but we’re told another, how you reacted, and why you think your expectations were so far off from reality. Stuff like that.

I’ve tried, and not yet totally succeed, at learning my lesson that if I don’t know a lot about something, it’s best to shut up and let others who do be the ones to talk.

I have the person who ran the class’s book, and also have professionally studied pricing in the course of my job for nearly a decade.

The bit I was quoting/referencing was something relatively new that I learned only recently. There’s a lot more I just don’t talk about on GeekNights.

I wouldn’t, however, do a whole show on it, because:

1. A lot of what I would say is covered by NDAs
  2. A lot of what I would say applies primarily to B2B software and services, since that’s where my expertise is generally
  3. If I were going to fully teach what I know, I’d honestly go do that as a job and charge for it. It’s a lot of work to go from “here’s useful bits I have domain knowledge in in relation to another topic” to “here is a comprehensive explanation of this domain.” We paid a lot for all that training, and it’s been ongoing for six months so far.

Beyond that, it is true, generally, that Scott is far less willing to cover a given non-sensitive topic than I am. In show planning, he’ll usually shoot down five of my ideas for every one he presents.

Huh.

1. NDAs seem non-bullshit only in very limited settings. NDAs and non-compete show? Or is there an NDA on NDAs :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
  2. Makes sense.
  3. The Wikipedia on pricing is already pretty horrifying. Usually digested knowledge from someone who actually knows is more interesting and gives a better sense of what part of a broad field is actually important. I don’t think anyone would ever come to Geeknights for a course, but I think it would be an interesting Thursday topic.

Scott, I don’t know what Rym knows beyond what he says on the show, maybe you do. If you ever have guests, maybe there is a pricing geek to talk to.

This is generally a good perspective, but it’s also worth remembering that experts themselves are not all-knowing and cannot give a complete perspective either.

This isn’t to say your ignorance is as good as their knowledge - all manner of problems lay down this road if you walk it too far - but there is value to be gained by synthesizing a perspective from diverse experiences outside of a topic, and using that as a framework of analysis. Pulling together what you know and talking about it from a perspective derived from your lived experience can be valuable if your audience isn’t looking for expertise on a topic.

Mostly, the concept of “expertise” is increasingly fraught, and has historically been used by those with power to silence valid and valuable voices and perspectives. So it’s OK to occasionally toss the notion aside and just like, talk about stuff. Nobody’s born an expert - you get there by forming a perspective, testing your ideas through it, and then reworking it when you find out how wrong you are.

3 Likes

I set, and have set, pricing for real companies that still do business, where that information is part of contracts and other deals. Disclosing how or why I set prices in those contexts could reveal trade secrets and other non-public information. And without those contexts, it wouldn’t be deep or interesting enough to discuss probably.

Maybe a show about topics Rym and Scott go to each for, whether personal or professional. Like, how a podcast about their relationship.

3 Likes

I know those comments are made with no negative intent but there are few healthy examples of healthy, platonic male friendship in the world and for them to discuss it openly might help some folks see a better side of masculinity.

1 Like

For sure. That is a meme from old forum. Not my intention and you make a very good point.

#15chars Invincible

Airplane!.

The film or the method of transportation?

Oath.

And the Root Underground expansion too.

I know this might seem like re-treading on a previous show topic, but I would like to hear a Monday episode on Macs and PCs. Most notably, how newer technology is changing the use cases for them. As an example, one co-worker is debating getting a new M1 iMac due to having a PC that is over five years old, and the iMac serves her purposes…