Raspberry Pi

Raspberry Pi 4. Now you’ll be able to pihole ads so fast:

• 3x CPU performance of 3B+
  • Up to 4 GB RAM
  • 2 USB 3.0’s
  • 4k60 h265 decoding
2 Likes

The new specs look nice. I still need to finish working on my existing one as a Classic emulation machine (SNES, Genesis).I grabbed some multi gig rom packs but 80% of the games are terrible sports games or games that were just garbage ware so I need to go back and just manually download my favorites and build out a library that way so I’m not scrolling through a hundreds long junk list.

I’ve got a Raspberry 3B that I use as a shell account server: email, irc, etc. It’s been rock solid. It just made more sense—cheaper, quieter, smaller—than repurposing an old PC.

Are there known problems running SNES games on the 3?

Nope! I too have a 3B and yeah it works pretty well for the 16 bit era emulation. There’s a subreddit and website wholly dedicated to it, its fairly streamlined.

https://www.reddit.com/r/RetroPie/

I’ve done up to Playstation flawlessly on a 3B in RetroPie.

It sounds like this would make a good Plex client once software packages catch up. From what I read on Hacker News, it sounds like it will support Hi10p playback. A raspberry pi with bluetooth and 10 bit HEVC support is a game changer. Right now I am using an old laptop because nothing else that is inexpensive can direct play HEVC.

To be fair, I was running a Plex server off of a 3B and it worked well.