Randomizer Appreciation Thread

I think it’s less of a problem for single-game randomizers. I RTFM’d and it specifically said that because of bomb/ball there’s just not much they can do to prevent a lot of those situations in the crossover randomizer. Softlocks for other reasons are by and large prevented.

I feel like the crossover randomizer is hardmode. It makes a lot of sense to get some experience in each of the individual Zelda and Metroid randomizers first to learn the progression, patterns, and item locations before diving into them together. Metroid in particular can be a huge pain in the ass because a lot of that can be tied to execution of some of the more advanced techniques that are never required in the base game. I tried it and immediately decided to stick to Zelda randomizers exclusively.

The randomizer specifically has a hard and easy modes. In hard mode you may be required to do speedrunner tricks like mock ball. On easy mode the items are positioned such that you never have to do those kinds of tricks.

Oh well that’s good - the last time I explored the Metroid ones, I don’t recall seeing that capability. Either way, I’ve memorized all the chest locations in Zelda by now, and definitely have not memorized all of the missile pack locations in Metroid. So my plan is to stick with Zelda.

Let’s team up. I’m just pretty good at both games, not great or amazing. However I remember a lot more locations from Super Metroid than Zelda, probably since it has a lot fewer to remember.

I know that Zelda has 216 item locations throughout the game, and honestly I only remember where they are because I used to watch a bunch of the races on youtube at 2x speed while I was at work until I learned the routing that the best players used. But I’m definitely not ‘good’ at it - I always go for more safety items over speed because I never want to have to fight the Misery Mire boss with only 6 hearts.

I think the Metroid Randomizer is less attractive to me in general because there’s more physical execution to focus on, which means it’s harder to play it while also watching Netflix.

The eyeball one? I don’t remember that every giving me any trouble. Granted, 6 hearts isn’t much, but I feel like I can beat it without getting hit. I’m probably overestimating my ability and forgetting what it’s actually like. it’s been awhile.

That’s the thing, though. You only need to do the really difficult and tricky physical execution stuff if you are trying to speedrun Super Metroid. If you do a casual route, which the normal difficulty randomizer allows for, then you don’t have to do anything really difficult at all. I mean, Super Metroid isn’t the easiest game, but still have save points.

Also, even if you are struggling to find a necessary item, like bombs, you are also likely to get at least one late game item early on. In the run I tried I got a screw attack early, and was using it to great effect. It was actually really satisfying, and one of the great things about the randomizer in general. There are a lot of items that don’t see much use, like the screw attack, because who needs that when you clear a room with plasma? If screw attack is all you have, suddenly you can have a ton of fun using it on everything!

Yeah that’s the one. The pattern isn’t awful, but if you’re also doing it with no Bottles, the Green Mail, and the Master Sword, that’s where it gets tricky since one hit can spell disaster.

I suppose I should give the Metroid one another try. I like to do these runs idly while doing something else, and I find Zelda much more mindless. I just need to memorize the missile pack locations like I have all the rupee chest locations.

https://youtu.be/mK3bMtjoG2Q

3 Likes

This seed is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93BLQX-XH3g

1 Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp7h9A518iI

This one takes a turn for the weird.

1 Like

Speedgaming is running their LttPR race tournament, and it’s almost over. From many entrants and several rounds of qualifiers and eliminations, we are finally down to the round of 16. Every race at this point is the best vs. the best.

If you watch only 1 race from the tournament (so far) make it this one. Can’t wait for these two to race again.

I know the video says Metroid Fusion, but that’s just because they didn’t stop and start the stream. I set the right time for the race start at 2:31:00-ish

2 Likes

So the big randomizer tournament is already coming to a close. Half the semifinals are over, and we have one finalist. The other semifinal match has only had one race so far. (It’s best of 3). However, there was a big scandal going on.

It was relatively early, but not super early, in the race. There was no telling who was going to win. You could see it going either way due to the big divergence in routing. Then, a catastrophe. One of the runners lost power. Actual power outage. Someone who lives near them confirmed it was legit. They forfeited. The other racer went on to finish, which technically gives them the win.

Obviously you can’t just let people get redos if their power goes out. Then they could just pretend to have a power outage every time they don’t like how things are progressing.

On the other hand, this was a legit power outage. The bracket currently shows the win as counting. I can’t find any discussions online about how it was resolved. Obviously everyone wants a redo, but you can’t blame the winner for not offering one. The next match isn’t scheduled yet, and they declined a post-race interview. We’ll see if maybe they forefeit game 2 so that it goes to game 3.

1 Like

Months ago the SpeedGaming network put on their Fall ALTTPR tournament. Hundreds of entrants. Several rounds of qualifiers and brackets. It all comes down to this. It’s almost Spring, and the Grand Finals have arrived. Jet082 vs Acktheboker.

https://twitter.com/SpeedGamingShow/status/1231655444910788609

This is going to be hype. I have watched their races in the past, and both of these runners are incredibly fast and skilled. Personally I’m rooting for Jet, but I also want to see a game 3 for maximum hype. So I could root for Ack if Jet takes game 1. (It’s a best of 3).

Even if you don’t give a crap about ALTTPR, this is the one time you should give it some attention. Even if you miss it live, it will be easy to watch it after the fact.

I don’t know if I have told this story here before.

Battle of the Bands Randomizer.

I was talking with a friend and he helps a bar run this event. Anyone who wants to play can sign up.

Musicians are randomly sorted into 4-piece bands. You come up with a name for your band and everyone gets a few weeks to practice. The weekend of the show, everyone plays a 20 minute set at the bar.

“But what if you get 4 drum- oh, that would be just be a drumline. What if you get 4 bassers?

Apparently that happened the last time. They came up with some punny name, and it was fine. Nobody’s expecting the Beatles, so it’s a good time no matter what.

1 Like

Season 2 of the league has started:

https://youtu.be/118DEcD35Ns

Been watching it. Honestly, the first few weeks with less crazy rules were more exciting. When the races have more insane rules like keysanity and crossworld, it’s harder to follow the action, and the races are rarely close. Also, the skill disparity in league is understandably larger than it was towards the end of the tournament bracket. That also makes the races less compelling to watch.

Undoubtedly more exciting to play, though, especially for people who are so used to 7/7 opens.

1 Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZbx9qkczoI